Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 07:04 PM

3 posts, read 10,431 times

Advertisements

So, I did sort of a rash thing and quit my job (I did give notice) with the intention of leaving Boston for Seattle.

I don't have a job lined up and I know the economy is horrendous.

Anyone have any idea on nursing jobs and how long it takes to find one?

I have only one year experience which I know is better than nothing but less than ideal. I do hospital nursing, medical surgical and telemetry.

Financially I can be out of work for several months without a sweat though I am not lazy and hate being unemployed. Boston is ridiculously expensive so I am used to a high cost of living and can budget/live cheaply very well. Bills are otherwise low for me.

Any idea if hospitals are hiring right now? I don't have an RN WA license at the moment, its in the works. No point in applying to anywhere without one I would imagine

Any advice/help most appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 07:50 PM

328 posts, read 839,512 times
I work in medical billing and my employer is not hiring on the administrative side, but there is always a need for positions in patient care areas. I can't speak to your credentialing however, so that may have some bearing. Check out these local hospital's websites for job opportunities. Here's a list you can check out:

Harborview Medical Center
Virginia Mason Medical Center
Seattle Childrens
Swedish Medical Center
Overlake
Highline
Valley Medical Center
University Of Washington Medical Center
Providence
Pacific Medical Center
Group Health Cooperative

Good Luck!

Last edited by rmkiefer07; 07-23-2009 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: content

Old 07-23-2009, 08:30 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,351,453 times
nursesueg,
So what if it's insane to move to Seattle without a job? Sometimes you just have to make the move and follow the dream....
As rmkiefer suggested, there are plenty of hospitals in the Seattle area, as well as community clinics. I know that Harborview is hiring, at the very least.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:28 PM

328 posts, read 839,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
nursesueg,
So what if it's insane to move to Seattle without a job? Sometimes you just have to make the move and follow the dream....
As rmkiefer suggested, there are plenty of hospitals in the Seattle area, as well as community clinics. I know that Harborview is hiring, at the very least.
So true. I moved here with no job, no home, only a dream to start new. It was the best decision I ever made.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:35 PM

3 posts, read 10,431 times
Thanks!! You guys give me hope. Nice to know there aren't only naysayers out there.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:59 PM

370 posts, read 1,068,932 times
Default nursing jobs

I know there is a shortage of nurses in seattle. While you are being credentialled you may consider volunteering in a nurse teaching program to get some local recommendations. In addition to the hospitals listed the VA, Madigan Army Medical Center, Indian Health Services, being Federal entities maybe able to use your MA license. The State facilities may also waive licenses on a limited basis to work at a state facility like Western State Hospital

Old 07-23-2009, 11:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,035 times
I have quite a few friends who are nurses living on the eastside of Seattle but making the drive down to Tacoma - Franciscan, Tacoma General - for part-time nursing jobs.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:43 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,553,902 times
I think you will be as fine as you would be in Boston without a job.

Here's a few options:

Seattle Nursing Jobs (CareerBuilder.com)

Good luck!

Old 07-24-2009, 08:58 AM

368 posts, read 695,903 times
If you were in any other profession I'd say it was beyond insane, but nursing seems to always be in demand. I have a couple friends who just completed nursing school and were hired immediately.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:35 PM

119 posts, read 1,028,174 times
My wife and I did this. Moved to Seattle with no job, no housing, and everything we owned in our SUV and trailer. My wife is in health care, has an interview after less than a week of looking, and will be attending Nursing School this winter. I will take the first job I can get, but we are doing OK. Its not crazy, though others who would NEVER do it will tell you it is. Sometimes it takes something like this to get your life jump started. That's what we are doing, and we are loving every minute of it. We have only been in our apartment for 10 days, but things are looking good.

If it feels right to you, do it. We did, and did. If you do it with an open mind, you'll love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area