Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:58 PM

59 posts, read 149,824 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to Seattle.

My plan is to drive up there, after first finding a roommate on Craigslist. Then I will find a job.

I was wondering: how easy would it be for a nineteen year old male such as myself to get some sort of entry-level job, like at Starbuck's, a grocery store, or something of that sort?

Also, I'd like some suggestions on how much money I should save up. So far, I figure I need at least $2000, but probably more.

Any suggestions or advice would be welcome. That's the primary reason I'm making this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 12:08 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,134,520 times
Two thousand dollars will last you for about two weeks. Maybe you can find a job. What kind of education do you have? References? Job training? Skills? If you have none of these, there are hundreds of people lined up around the parking lots of Loew's and Home Depot looking for manual labor jobs. Maybe you can get in line there. If not, there is always the street corners and freeway on ramps. You could end up standing around there with a little cardboard sign.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:39 AM

33 posts, read 116,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrykein View Post
I am planning to move to Seattle.

My plan is to drive up there, after first finding a roommate on Craigslist. Then I will find a job.

I was wondering: how easy would it be for a nineteen year old male such as myself to get some sort of entry-level job, like at Starbuck's, a grocery store, or something of that sort?

Also, I'd like some suggestions on how much money I should save up. So far, I figure I need at least $2000, but probably more.

Any suggestions or advice would be welcome. That's the primary reason I'm making this thread.
Some advice? Stay with the roommate and Starbucks job plan, but get an education before moving to Seattle. Stay in California so you get the financial benefit of in-state tuition. CSU Northridge is pretty close to Glendale and not too picky on high school grades/SAT's.

Oh, and make sure you're getting a degree in something useful. Nursing, Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics/Finance, etc. When your degree is complete, you want to be able to pay your bills.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:18 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,602,261 times
That 2K will maybe cover your part of first/last security and one month of groceries/utility deposits.

Craigslist roommates are risky. Interview potential roommates first, or if possible, find a referral from someone you trust.

If you have no skills or good job references, it will be tougher to find a job. Where have you worked and can you provide employment references?

Old 05-10-2011, 11:41 AM

187 posts, read 576,962 times
These people saying two grand isn't enough to move up when you're 19 don't know how it's done.

I moved here with NEGATIVE funds in my bank account (had to ask the parental units for an $800 loan) and a 20 thousand dollar school loan debt. I rented a basement apartment for $400/mo, no bed (slept on blankets on the floor) or furniture (just my computer), and found a job as a parking valet within a couple weeks. Did I live well? No. But did I starve or end up on the streets? No. Now here it is 8 years later and I'm a lead developer for my company and doing quite well for myself.

Here's the thing - you're young enough where you can do this kind of thing - no school loans, no home loans, no major debt at all. Just don't expect to be living high on the hog or to have a swank bachelor pad. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. You can easily find a job in the service sector (Starbucks, a cafe, a restaurant, parking valet, etc.). Just be prepared to be living in a house with multiple roommates and content with slinging coffee and drinking cheap beer. I look back fondly on those days and can't believe how I lived on so little. Makes me feel proud about how far I've come.

Best of luck of to you whatever you decide!

Old 05-10-2011, 12:00 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,602,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motor80 View Post
These people saying two grand isn't enough to move up when you're 19 don't know how it's done.

I moved here with NEGATIVE funds in my bank account (had to ask the parental units for an $800 loan) and a 20 thousand dollar school loan debt. I rented a basement apartment for $400/mo, no bed (slept on blankets on the floor) or furniture (just my computer), and found a job as a parking valet within a couple weeks. Did I live well? No. But did I starve or end up on the streets? No. Now here it is 8 years later and I'm a lead developer for my company and doing quite well for myself.

Here's the thing - you're young enough where you can do this kind of thing - no school loans, no home loans, no major debt at all. Just don't expect to be living high on the hog or to have a swank bachelor pad. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. You can easily find a job in the service sector (Starbucks, a cafe, a restaurant, parking valet, etc.). Just be prepared to be living in a house with multiple roommates and content with slinging coffee and drinking cheap beer. I look back fondly on those days and can't believe how I lived on so little. Makes me feel proud about how far I've come.

Best of luck of to you whatever you decide!
I didn't see the OP referencing parents as a resource, and rents have increased considerably in eight years.

We "don't know how it's done"...well, asking parents for money is how it's done?

Even Starbuck's is gonna ask for references.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:21 PM

187 posts, read 576,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
I didn't see the OP referencing parents as a resource, and rents have increased considerably in eight years.
$2000 = 2.5 x $800

Next to mount baker lightrail station (http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/roo/2373138075.html - broken link)

Old 05-10-2011, 12:51 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,134,520 times
There is lots of 'free' shelter available. It's just beneath I-5 between James and Madison. He should be able to stretch out his $2,000 for at least a year if he really tried. It gets kind of cold and wet in the winter though.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:28 PM

507 posts, read 1,669,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
There is lots of 'free' shelter available. It's just beneath I-5 between James and Madison. He should be able to stretch out his $2,000 for at least a year if he really tried. It gets kind of cold and wet in the winter though.
Not sure if I would classify this as useful advice, what I would say though, that finding room-shares remotely is never a good idea. I've lived in a fair number of shared houses in various countries and I've always made an effort to go there, have a look at the place, and most of all speak to everyone living there. It's impossible to find out in a 15min visit if it all fits but it definitely increases the chances considerably. I'd recommend you bite the bullet and stay in a cheap hostel for a few days and try and find a room while you're here. It might be a little more expensive but it might save you a lot of potential trouble in the long run.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:10 PM

59 posts, read 149,824 times
Quote:
Two thousand dollars will last you for about two weeks. Maybe you can find a job. What kind of education do you have? References? Job training? Skills? If you have none of these, there are hundreds of people lined up around the parking lots of Loew's and Home Depot looking for manual labor jobs. Maybe you can get in line there. If not, there is always the street corners and freeway on ramps. You could end up standing around there with a little cardboard sign.
Quote:
Your snarkiness is greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitoUK View Post
Not sure if I would classify this as useful advice, what I would say though, that finding room-shares remotely is never a good idea. I've lived in a fair number of shared houses in various countries and I've always made an effort to go there, have a look at the place, and most of all speak to everyone living there. It's impossible to find out in a 15min visit if it all fits but it definitely increases the chances considerably. I'd recommend you bite the bullet and stay in a cheap hostel for a few days and try and find a room while you're here. It might be a little more expensive but it might save you a lot of potential trouble in the long run.
I figured remotely finding room shares wouldn't work out. I suppose I could readjust my finances to account for staying at a hostel for a week or so -- or, hopefully, staying with someone up there that I'm at least vaguely familiar with.

The dubious part in that is being able to find a roommate in that time, especially with a job pending.

I have no job experience except running ads on Craigslist for my father's home-based appliance-selling business. Though, I do plan on getting a job here this summer. I have one not-work-related reference, but I hope to obtain more.

Thanks for the help, all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: