Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 09:13 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,537,341 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a personal recommendation for the greater Seattle area and surrounding 150 miles? I have done a lot of research, have registered with the local Golden Rescue group, have missed out on a lot of rescues and have checked out their list with emails and phone calls. Was just hoping for a personal experience! This is our first dog and we have decided we want a Golden and we want a puppy...so for those of you tempted to rebuke me about not getting a rescue: 1) I have been trying to no avail for quite some time and 2) my neighbor who works for a rescue does it everyday. Maybe sometime down the road we'll do it...but for now, we'd like a purebred Golden Puppy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 03:07 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,107,915 times
If I were in your shoes and didn't get replies, I'd try two avanues:
The Seattle Kennel Club, a much-revered organization. I'd phone and chat with persons there and see how they steer me.
The veterinary doctor I respect the most. I'd do the same thing, phone and follow where that conversation leads me. If you don't currently have a veterinarian, I would recommend with my life and the lives of my cats Companion Animal Hospital in Bellevue:
Bellevue Veterinarians Companion Animal Hospital
and in Seattle, Dr. Carl Anderson's practice, Eastlake Veterinary Hospital:
http://eastlakevethospital.com/

I wouldn't take "No" for an answer from any resource -- I'd say "Hmm, well what would you recommend that I do? Who would you recommend that I contact?" Gentle probing often opens gates...

Last edited by allforcats; 05-15-2009 at 03:19 PM..

Old 05-15-2009, 09:17 PM

Thanks allforcats. We were blessed yesterday to make the final list for a litter bred by a wonderful gal in Stanwood WA who has dedicated her life to showing and breeding Goldens. She passes personal muster, comes with high references and happy families so we are going to go "interview" tomorrow. I will check out your vet though and I appreciate the advice so much! Now I need to invest in 3M before I buy a truckload of lint rollers. LOL.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:47 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,107,915 times
That's good news about the breeder!
"Lint rollers" -- what did we ever do before they were invented!

Now you get to become a happy student of the Dog Whisperer, don't you? The National Geographic (NatGeo) channel, most afternoons, and most of every Friday evening. I'm watching him right now, in fact. Centered, calm, serene, harmonious -- what an education he gives in The Nature of Dog and The Way of The Happy Human As Pack Leader And Person...

You will meet the dog you need, and I hope you will all live long and prosper together.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:25 PM

The best part about all of this is that I was about the last person that I thought would ever own a dog. Well maybe my husband is last but I am a close second. My best friend's response was "have you been drinking" (I am not a drinker...she was being serious). All it takes is meeting a few fabulous four legged friends and seeing my 6 year old sit next to them all for hours talking to them and petting them and I realized my boys need that dog they have been wanting for the past year. And I probably need a hiking and running buddy too!!

Old 05-18-2009, 10:21 PM

141 posts, read 428,176 times
I don't see any bright side of this... a woman is getting paid to continue adding to the pet overpopulation problem, and a sweet, innocent dog in a shelter is missing it's chance at getting a home and having it's life saved because someone doesn't think it's as good as a dog they have never even met...

Old 05-18-2009, 10:59 PM

Yeah, treat, I appreciate your view point and have pondered it too. I will continue to support my neighbor's favorite foster and rescue dog organization with fund raising efforts and personal donations, by helping her care for the dogs and by encouraging friends/neighbors to spay and neuter-which is the largest part of the problem. I unfortunately had a tragic encounter with a dog in my teens (I was attacked while running, minding my own business, resulting in stitches needed, dog was euthanized as I was not the first person it had attacked) and I am a bit skittish on not knowing history on dogs so I am really focused on finding a Golden, and a puppy at that, because I trust their disposition due to the many I have encountered positively and would like to raise it from a young age.

Last edited by texastrigirl; 05-18-2009 at 11:30 PM..

Old 05-19-2009, 12:15 AM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,893,868 times
Texastrigirl, how great that you found your puppy! Goldens are wonderful dogs, with even temperaments, incredibly devoted and love kids. They stay young, no matter what their age! Our golden girl is nearing 15 and in her last stages of life, but she is still the sweetest, silliest, most loving dog we've ever lived with. We adopted her when she was 3 years old, from a couple splitting up and going their separate ways--neither could take her (we felt it was meant to be and she was a member of our family from day one). We've adopted many dogs, and cats, over the years, and bought a few purebred dogs from breeders too. We have never made any distinction about how these wonderful companions have come into our lives, or treated them any differently. Rescuing a pet from a shelter or purchasing from a breeder both hopefully provide a loving home for the dog or cat, and there are good reasons to do either or both. Just my opinion--and yes, spay/neutering is the best way to control pet overpopulation. I love your enthusiasm for your new sweet puppy and hope you & your family have many wonderful, memorable (& hairy) years with your golden too. :-)

Lynn

Last edited by LMB; 05-19-2009 at 12:27 AM..

Old 09-28-2011, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 5,599 times
Please help me to find a golden puppy near seattle to be ready for adoption in mid november

Old 09-29-2011, 05:41 PM

12 posts, read 28,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123tatyana View Post
Please help me to find a golden puppy near seattle to be ready for adoption in mid november
Quote:
Originally Posted by treat View Post
I don't see any bright side of this... a woman is getting paid to continue adding to the pet overpopulation problem, and a sweet, innocent dog in a shelter is missing it's chance at getting a home and having it's life saved because someone doesn't think it's as good as a dog they have never even met...
This^^^^
Please go visit the local shelters before deciding on a breeder!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area