Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:31 PM

8 posts, read 36,034 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm currenly doing research on moving to Seattle (considering either Seattle or Portland). Can you guys help me with the questions below? (I am also posting in the Portland forum, but questions have been modified.)

1. How bad is the traffic in terms of mph? If I end up working in downtown and living on the outskirts of town, is it convenient to take the train or bus into downtown for work?

2. What areas around Seattle can I find studios for around $500-600? I am also considering renting a room in a 2- or 3-bedroom apartment at this price.

3. I'm planning on taking a trip to Seattle and Portland in February. Is it better to stay in downtown with no car or stay outside the city and drive in? I'll be renting a car since I plan on driving down to Portland. I wanted to stay at a hostel downtown to save money, but it'll be difficult to park there. Another option for me would be to travel in Seattle by public transportation, and rent a car when I leave for Portland.

4. In what areas can I find clusters of independent shops, other than downtown? I'm planning on finding a job with one of these places and would like to check them out while I'm in town.

5. Also, does anyone know which travel guide is better: the Rough Guide to Seattle or Frommer's Seattle?

Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 11:04 AM

231 posts, read 1,142,191 times
With all those questions, I think you need to find a full-time guidance counselor. LOL! I also think you should make some of those decisions yourself by going out there. And don't use the travel guides as a bible. Thats corporate pablum. Go out and talk to the locals, see things for yourself, and make your own decisions. Trash the frommers books, get a local alternative weekly, and live in a local neighborhood. Trust yourself that you'll make the right decisions, or else you will be forever frozen in place...

Old 11-07-2007, 12:47 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yini View Post
Hi All,

I'm currenly doing research on moving to Seattle (considering either Seattle or Portland). Can you guys help me with the questions below? (I am also posting in the Portland forum, but questions have been modified.)

1. How bad is the traffic in terms of mph? If I end up working in downtown and living on the outskirts of town, is it convenient to take the train or bus into downtown for work?

2. What areas around Seattle can I find studios for around $500-600? I am also considering renting a room in a 2- or 3-bedroom apartment at this price.

3. I'm planning on taking a trip to Seattle and Portland in February. Is it better to stay in downtown with no car or stay outside the city and drive in? I'll be renting a car since I plan on driving down to Portland. I wanted to stay at a hostel downtown to save money, but it'll be difficult to park there. Another option for me would be to travel in Seattle by public transportation, and rent a car when I leave for Portland.

4. In what areas can I find clusters of independent shops, other than downtown? I'm planning on finding a job with one of these places and would like to check them out while I'm in town.

5. Also, does anyone know which travel guide is better: the Rough Guide to Seattle or Frommer's Seattle?

Thanks much.
Traffic is HORRIBLE here. I'm originally from So Cal and I must say this area has the WORST drivers in the country (I've driven in almost every major city so I know). Seattle drivers have no clue about left lane=fast and right=slow, it's unusual not to see a rolling road block of people doing 50 or less in all 3-4 lanes with nothing but open highway in front of them. Not much of a train system around here, the public trans is terrible, but the bus is ok I guess so that's what I would do if you will be near a park and ride. Being from LA the drivers up here will drive you insane... Just a warning.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer1234 View Post
With all those questions, I think you need to find a full-time guidance counselor. LOL! I also think you should make some of those decisions yourself by going out there. And don't use the travel guides as a bible. Thats corporate pablum. Go out and talk to the locals, see things for yourself, and make your own decisions. Trash the frommers books, get a local alternative weekly, and live in a local neighborhood. Trust yourself that you'll make the right decisions, or else you will be forever frozen in place...
Of course I'll be talking to the locals -- once I get there. I am using the travel guide for the visit in February, not to move.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:46 AM

297 posts, read 1,035,106 times
Yini,

There are clusters of independent shops in several areas. Be sure to check out Capitol Hill, the University District, Fremont, Ballard, and Wallingford. As far as travel guides, Lonely Planet is a good bet. If you're going to stay in a hostel try the Green Tortoise near the Pike Place Market. The bus system in Seattle is very good. You should take the bus and explore the city that way. It's much more interesting to experience Seattle that way than through the windshield of a rental car. The traffic here is bad, but not as bad as LA. It's stop and go, but nothing too terrible. Have a great stay and welcome!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:57 PM

3 posts, read 15,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yini View Post
Hi All,

Thanks much.
ANSWER TO #3:
Have you considered taking Amtrak between Seattle and Portland?
I typically do not rent a car when staying in downtown Portland but I do when in Seattle.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:13 PM

la_fuerza:
Thanks for the suggestions! I actually will be staying at the Green Tortoise.

AuntieEmma:
Actually, I was wavering about taking the car or train since I'll be partially job searching when staying in Portland, but now I think I will take the train since public transit is convenient in Portland.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,239 times
I would recommended you consider Portland over Seattle. Seattle is a great city with lots of diversity and things to do, but the ability to get around is a little easier in Portland and with the budget you mentioned you are on, I think would be a better fit. You will be able to afford a decent place to live in Portland. Living in downtown Seattle is expensive. Living in the outskirts of Seattle is different than living in the city. We all live and access the same areas many times throughout the week whether in Bellevue or Everett and inevitably dealing with a commute into work.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:37 AM

48 posts, read 208,395 times
Hi All,

1. How bad is the traffic in terms of mph? If I end up working in downtown and living on the outskirts of town, is it convenient to take the train or bus into downtown for work? Depends on how far out and where from downtown you live consider the "outskirts". If the "outskirts" is in Orting or Graham way down south or Marysville or Mt Vernon way up north than yes it's a hassle. But, than if the "outskirts" is within Shoreline (just north of Seattle yet sill in King County) or even Issquah bus travel is reasonable. Train is limited. Going north the train stops in Edmonds, Maukalteo and Everett. To the south the trains goes to Tukwila, Kent, Auburn, Sumner, Puyallup and Tacoma. Plans are underway to continue the train from Tacoma to Lakewood and Dupont. See Sound Transit: Ride the Wave which operates the express buses numbered 510- 599, Sounder Commuter Train and the Link Light Rail and http://metro.kingcounty.gov/ (Blue/yellow and green/yellow buses numbered 1-99 in Seattle (the buses numbered in 80s are night owl buses running from 12:30AM to 4:30AM) , 100s in south King County suburbs, 200s in the eastside (mercer Island, Bellevue, Kirkland, etc) and 300s to the north). Then there are the blue/white buses operated by Community Transit (http://www.commtrans.org) numbered in the 400s from downtown and 800s from University of Washington that go up north past Seattle (in afternoons and come to Seattle in the mornings) to various suburban municipalities in Snohomish County (Everett, Lynnwood, Edmonds, Marysville, Lake Stevens, Bothell, etc). If you drive traffic can be bad especially during the weekday rushours on the major highways. Look at the links given in the above to get and an idea as to where they go, how often they run and will they suite your needs.
2. What areas around Seattle can I find studios for around $500-600? I am also considering renting a room in a 2- or 3-bedroom apartment at this price. Actually you can find some descent studio apartments in nearby Capitol Hill just over the freeway from Seattle for around $600. If you're lucky you might find 1 bedroom apartment for $600. I did. Even as a real estate professional I do recommend renting for your first year in Seattle before you buy in. You want to be familar with the area before you go look at houses. Renting gives you mobility while owning gives you more value for the amount of money (appreciateable asset, tax benefits, etc).

3. I'm planning on taking a trip to Seattle and Portland in February. Is it better to stay in downtown with no car or stay outside the city and drive in? I'll be renting a car since I plan on driving down to Portland. I wanted to stay at a hostel downtown to save money, but it'll be difficult to park there. Another option for me would be to travel in Seattle by public transportation, and rent a car when I leave for Portland. Depends on the purpose of this trip. If you're on a scouting trip than yes you want to rent a car. On a scouting trip you want to look at different areas beyond downtown and Pike's Place Market and beyond what most casual tourists visit in the area and familiarize yourself with different neighborhoods & suburbs. Same thing in Portland. You want to use your time more and wisely and leave with a better idea as to which part of town you want ot live in and where is where. Or if this even where you want to live at. I did. If you're doing the tourist circuit you can get by without car unless you're going way out of town such as to Mt Rainier. See Amtrak Cascades for train between Seattle & Portland. You can look on Zillow.com or JohnLScott.com for an IDX map to see what the houses are like, how much $$$, etc to familiarize yourself with the housing prices.

4. In what areas can I find clusters of independent shops, other than downtown? I'm planning on finding a job with one of these places and would like to check them out while I'm in town. What do you mean "independent shops"? There are like different independent shops all over and in the neighborhoods there are places along busy roads zoned for commercial use. Lots of independent shops along those places and in the suburbs there are the typical big malls (Northgate, Southcenter, etc) and smaller stip malls. Lots of "independent shops" in/around those. What kind of work, specifically, are you looking for in these independent shops?

5. Also, does anyone know which travel guide is better: the Rough Guide to Seattle or Frommer's Seattle? Rough Guide seemed to be written to the student backpacking crowd staying in hostels. Frommer's is written to the more upscale and general crowd staying in 3-5 star hotels. LonelyPlanet encompasses both groups. Lonely Planet grew up from the hippy trail that the founder travleled through from London, England to Sydney, NSW Australia across Europe & Asia. Take your pick.

Last edited by anyone101; 04-01-2011 at 02:58 AM..

Old 04-01-2011, 07:51 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,468 times
(2) You won't find any studio apartments for around $500-$600, you'd better get used to $1200 to $1500 a month.
(1) Traffic is really bad during peek commuter hours. On top of that, gas prices are about the highest in the nation, thanks to the highest gas taxes in the nation.
(4) Each neighborhood is filled with 'indipendent' shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area