Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 5,280 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is Joel, me and my family currently reside in St. George Utah, in Southern Utah. It's imperative we relocate; it is literally a matter of life or death, and we must move out of the state. My wife is in love with the Western Washington area and after doing some Google research and poking around on city data, I'm also starting to fall in love with the area.

I work from home as a web designer and my wife is a server at a local diner. Our combined income is not that high, which concerns me with the steep cost of living I have observed within the Seattle area. We currently pay $1000 rent for a three bedroom home in Utah. Would we be able to find anything within that price range in the surrounding area of Seattle?

Also I'm a Hispanic male with tattoos; I resemble a gang member and get treated like a criminal within my home state of Utah, should I consider the same treatment in the Washington area or is this treatment an anomaly to Utah, that I experience?

Is this NorthWest idea a dream or is it possible to find a rental within a $1000 range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 06:28 PM

58 posts, read 125,997 times
I just moved out here so I know a bit about the rental market, and it looks like from what I've seen you MAY be able to find a 2bd apartment around Federal Way or Tacoma for $1000, but not as likely further north. As far as the tats, that depends. If you have some gnarly face tats and you dress like a cholo, then ya, you will get looked at as such. but if their just on your arms or legs, and not your neck or face, that's not as bad. A lot of it comes down to how you dress/act. Seattle is not as white as Utah, but it's not SoCal either.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:33 PM

Thank you. I have been told to stay away from Tacoma! I'm not sure why?

Last edited by joelthedesigner; 09-02-2012 at 06:42 PM..

Old 09-02-2012, 07:44 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,691 times
If you knew by covering yourself with tatoos, you would resemble a gang member, might I ask why you did it in the first place?

Kids, there is something to be learned from this post!

Old 09-02-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
If you knew by covering yourself with tatoos, you would resemble a gang member, might I ask why you did it in the first place?

Kids, there is something to be learned from this post!
Don't be a tool, no one wants your opinions.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:41 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times
I think the people here are pretty liberal and don't seem to care too much about how you have your hair, tats, etc. But all of that is within reason...I would say that if you're treated like a criminal here, you will also be treated like a criminal in SoCal even with all of the hispanic people down there.

As for rent, $1k in Seattle is just not going to happen (even if you want a studio it's tough) but the area is relatively small and you can be about 8-10 miles away and rents go down pretty fast. Even just 10 minutes away from downtown is pretty affordable.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
I think the people here are pretty liberal and don't seem to care too much about how you have your hair, tats, etc. But all of that is within reason...I would say that if you're treated like a criminal here, you will also be treated like a criminal in SoCal even with all of the hispanic people down there.

As for rent, $1k in Seattle is just not going to happen (even if you want a studio it's tough) but the area is relatively small and you can be about 8-10 miles away and rents go down pretty fast. Even just 10 minutes away from downtown is pretty affordable.

That's not entirely true, I have a NICE one bedroom condo in Bellevue for 1k/mo, but that's just one br.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:57 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times
I actually meant in Seattle proper like Queen Anne, Capitol Hill, etc. as I have been sort of apartment hunting around here lately. I don't know the Bellevue prices but I'm guessing that $1k is probably ok for starting in the east suburbs.

apodments is probably the cheapest in Seattle proper but those are tiny...

Old 09-03-2012, 01:52 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
I actually meant in Seattle proper like Queen Anne, Capitol Hill, etc. as I have been sort of apartment hunting around here lately. I don't know the Bellevue prices but I'm guessing that $1k is probably ok for starting in the east suburbs.

apodments is probably the cheapest in Seattle proper but those are tiny...
While its true that its a virtual impossibility of finding a 3bdrm house for 1K/mo... You could find apartments for 1K/mo in Seattle proper. Look to Maple Leaf, Greenwood, Lake City, Northgate, and well, most of South Seattle for example. And of course, apartments can be found for 1K/mo outside of Seattle Proper.

OP, I wouldn't really worry too much about being treated like a criminal here-- there are lots of things that offend the Seattle sensibilities... having tattoos isn't one them. In fact, Seattle/Portland have many many adults with tattoos-- it's not really something to turn your nose at here.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:05 AM

Thanks guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area