Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 09:10 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
I don't have anything against the eastside suburbs, I have a suburban home in another city, but I am genuinely curious about why people are going over there without living or working there. DH worked in Redmond before when we lived in Seattle full-time so it isn't like we are completely unfamiliar with the eastside, but that was mostly before kids. Now I go to Bellevue mainly for the Container Store, very occasionally for the botanical garden, but otherwise I don't know of a reason to cross the bridges. What am I missing?
Also, I don't really hear much eastside bashing. I think it is a non-issue.
You are right, it's like so many other "issues" people bring up on these threads - sigh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 10:53 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
but otherwise I don't know of a reason to cross the bridges. What am I missing?
The Container Store!!!

I am serious.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:05 PM

456 posts, read 774,849 times
There's a Container Store at South Center now as well.
Ben

Old 06-26-2014, 01:13 PM

42 posts, read 60,659 times
I’m a long time lurker but decided to sign up since this is a topic that hits close to home. If you would indulge me for a bit, I’d like to give some background. I grew up in North Seattle and moved to the Eastside after college to be closer to my job. My extended network of friends from the UW primarily chose Seattle or Bellevue to call home depending on their own personal situations (family, work, lifestyle, etc). Gradually over time a rift started to develop between the “Westsiders” and “Eastsiders” mainly due to the disdain that the Westsiders developed for the Eastside as they became more ingrained into their new neighborhoods and their unwillingness to ever cross the lake. As another poster eloquently posted earlier in this thread, many Eastsiders treat the entire King County as one large city and have no qualms about visiting other parts of the area while many Seattle residents have a superiority complex where they don’t ever want to leave the city limits.

I also think that much of the disdain and hatred for Bellevue are based off of outdated stereotypes. I will admit that prior to moving here I hadn’t spent much time in Bellevue and my perception of it was similar to how many of the Bellevue bashers describe it. While there is some truth behind every stereotype, the majority of them are unfounded when describing the modern day Bellevue.

•Bellevue is full of rich snobby white people – False. Bellevue is actually one of the most diverse cities in the state. The Crossroads/Lake Hills area (98007 zip code) is on par with the Rainier Valley for its ethnic diversity. As far as the rich and snobby part, there’s probably a small subset that matches that description but they make up just a tiny fraction of the general population and exist in every city. If someone visited Seattle and only saw Magnolia, Madison Park, and Upper Queen Anne they would likely have come across these types as well.

•Bellevue is full of conservative right winged Bible huggers – This is false to a certain degree. Kemper Freeman is a staunch Republican and Mars Hill Church sits prominently in the center of downtown but the city as a whole has traditionally voted blue over the past few decades. Initiatives to legalize gay marriage and marijuana both passed in Bellevue during the last election. Even Kemper’s grip on the City Council has loosened as they defied him by supporting bringing Light Rail to downtown Bellevue

•Downtown Bellevue is bland and only has chain restaurants – False. Sure, if you only stick around the mall you’ll find the typical national chains (Cheesecake Factory, PF Chang’s, Palomino, Rock Bottom) but guess what? All these chains have locations in Downtown Seattle too. DT Bellevue may not have the eclectic bistros that are all the rage in Capitol Hill or Ballard but there is a respectable lineup of locally owned and independent restaurants that is growing every year.

•No one walks and you have to drive everywhere – This is true but there are growing pockets of walkable neighborhoods on the Eastside. Downtown Bellevue is continuing to get more pedestrian friendly while other cities such as Kirkland, Redmond, and Bothell have very walkable and quaint downtowns. Seattle does have more walkable neighborhoods but how are people getting from one to another? Mainly by car as well.

I know my post is starting to sound like a Seattle vs Eastside comparison but what I’m trying to prove is that they’re not all that different. I feel the negative parts of the Eastside are put under a microscope while these same attributes in Seattle are disregarded. Can’t we all just get along?

Last edited by SeahawksLOB; 06-26-2014 at 01:34 PM..

Old 06-26-2014, 05:33 PM

291 posts, read 392,594 times
"Hate" is a strong word.

I always thought of this as a good-natured rivalry.

Sure, teenagers are going to have these rivalries and it's fair to say that KingCo High School sports league sees a lot of trash talk along these lines.

But most adults know people on both sides of the lake and it's really not a big deal. In most cases it comes down to walkability to a park vs. a yard you can actually run around in, and guess what? Some of us have both, not only in Seattle, but on the Eastside.

Also, the best Indian food is on the Eastside, but Seattle has better Thai, hands down. That's just my personal opinion.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeZeeZee View Post

Also, the best Indian food is on the Eastside, but Seattle has better Thai, hands down. That's just my personal opinion.
I'd have to disagree about the Thai food. I'd say it's even on both sides of the lake as there are several standout Thai joints on the Eastside. Seattle does have better Vietnamese, Chinese, and sushi while the north and south ends have the best Korean.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeahawksLOB View Post
I'd have to disagree about the Thai food. I'd say it's even on both sides of the lake as there are several standout Thai joints on the Eastside. Seattle does have better Vietnamese, Chinese, and sushi while the north and south ends have the best Korean.
This debate is actually much more informative than the cliquey "ick a minivan" pseudo-debate. I feel like the Thai joints on the Eastside are too Americanized, too greasy, and less fresh spices. Where do you go for Thai?

For Indian I think Oh! cannot be beat for the price, but it has very mixed reviews on Yelp so maybe I got a good day. There is better Indian, but not for the price. Also it's pretty authentic, for better and for worse.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:28 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
This debate is actually much more informative than the cliquey "ick a minivan" pseudo-debate. I feel like the Thai joints on the Eastside are too Americanized, too greasy, and less fresh spices. Where do you go for Thai?

For Indian I think Oh! cannot be beat for the price, but it has very mixed reviews on Yelp so maybe I got a good day. There is better Indian, but not for the price. Also it's pretty authentic, for better and for worse.
A Bai Tong just opened up in Issaquah Highlands. I'm not a foodie, but I think it's really good. When we lived in N. Seattle we liked Chaiyo in Pinehurst/Northgate quite a bit, mostly because it was a little cheaper. Similan in Issaquah is also good, but I like Bai Tong even more.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:

On the Eastside I like Chantanee, Bai Tong, Bangkok Basil, Noodle Boat, Isarn, Thai Ginger, Pen...the list goes on and on. Seattle has a great selection as well with places like Thai Tom, Pestle Rock, and Buddha Ruksa. The entire region is a hotbed for great Thai cuisine.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:53 PM

Okay, I think we have different tastes in Thai food. Still you've given me several to check out. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area