Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 12:30 AM

9 posts, read 9,488 times

Advertisements

I really liked the Central District when I was up there. That whole area has a nice vibe. I also got the impression that Seattle as a whole is kid friendly. It has to be with all the parks and green areas everywhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 01:02 AM

355 posts, read 990,695 times
Since I have moved here, I have noticed that everyone walks around with their head in the clouds (no pun intended). I'm amazed how oblivious they are to their surroundings.
I have lived in places where I thought the people weren't real friendly....I don't think that is the case here....because I have met some very nice people. But I think the majority of them are walking around in a fog (oh here I go again).....Wake Up people! And you would think with a coffee stand on every corner....go figure.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:33 PM

64 posts, read 251,015 times
Pittgal~

We are moving to Seattle from Atlanta. WE WOULD HAVE STOPPED! My husband would have helped your husband in a heart beat. Even if we knew you had it under control, we would have at least offered and been sincere about it. Hopefully we will be there soon and soon as our house sells.

Hang in there.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:20 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittgal View Post
My husband and I were at the Convention Center today for a Christmas Show and when we got back to our car afterwards we had a flat tire. Thankfully my husband was able to change but it took a while since he had never changed one on an this vehicle. So while he was changing it I stood there and chatted away to him watching the people walk by us. I started counting, 74 people walked by us while he changed the tire and nobody offered to help. Now, he didn't need help, but nobody even stopped and asked if he would like some.

If this would of happened back in Pittsburgh where we are from, almost everyone who walked by would of stopped. I know this for a fact since it had actually happed a few years back and I was alone and a stranger changed my tire for me.

So my question is...Where's the Love? Heck, Where's the Christmas Spirit?
It is possible that alot of those people were city dwellers that don't own a car......keep in mind capitol hill is right up the street from the CC and alot of the residents there are college kids that don't drive. I didn't even have a drivers license until I moved out of the city and into the burbs just a couple of years ago, and I am in my mid-twenties. I can still barely change the oil let alone change a flat. I wouldn't have stopped because I wouldn't have had anything useful to contribute to the situation

Old 11-19-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I understand what yall are saying, I guess I just need to accept that things are different out here then from where I am from.

I have a friend out here ( yes only one so far) and I told her how shocked I was that we moved into a new neighborhood 2 weeks ago and nobody has come over to meet us yet. She laughed her butt off when I told here that back home people would of brought us welcome pies and bottle of wine or something to welcome us. She said she has lived here all her live and never heard of anyone doing that. I guess I'll be starting a new tradition in this neighborhood! LOL
I think this is one bi-product of a transient population combined with a healthy real-estate market. Neighborhoods are dynamic, people are moving in and out all the time, so they don't feel like they need to invest the time to become friendly with the neighbors - who knows when they will move and someone new will move in.

This is also compounded by the live and let live attitude of natives. I would definitely be somewhat offput by neighbors that were stopping by unnanounced all the time.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:53 PM

522 posts, read 2,627,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
It is possible that alot of those people were city dwellers that don't own a car......keep in mind capitol hill is right up the street from the CC and alot of the residents there are college kids that don't drive. I didn't even have a drivers license until I moved out of the city and into the burbs just a couple of years ago, and I am in my mid-twenties. I can still barely change the oil let alone change a flat. I wouldn't have stopped because I wouldn't have had anything useful to contribute to the situation
We were in a parking garage on the fifth floor, so I would assume that everyone who walked by us was in there because they drove into it.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:56 PM

522 posts, read 2,627,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I would definitely be somewhat offput by neighbors that were stopping by unnanounced all the time.
It is not "all" the time. It is a simple hello nice to meet you upon first moving in. Not an every single day thing.

All I was simply pointing out in the first place is that I was shocked that so many people walked by and nobody said anything at all. I grew up in a different place with different people i guess and was put off by this. I was just trying to understand the people out here since it is so hard to make friends out here. I guess its a good thing that we are only here for a few years anyway.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:56 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,183 times
Quote:
It is not "all" the time. It is a simple hello nice to meet you upon first moving in. Not an every single day thing.

All I was simply pointing out in the first place is that I was shocked that so many people walked by and nobody said anything at all. I grew up in a different place with different people i guess and was put off by this. I was just trying to understand the people out here since it is so hard to make friends out here. I guess its a good thing that we are only here for a few years anyway.
I'm thinking a good ice breaker in Seattle would be "read any good books lately"?
Or, "can you suggest a good movie to rent"? The whole let me bake a cake and bring it over to our new neighbor thing is over rated. In the last 18 years I've lived in 10 different houses and never had one of the experiences you speak of.
(New York , New Jersey , Colorado )

Old 11-20-2007, 07:30 AM

3 posts, read 9,283 times
Unhappy too scared

If this had happened in the 90's, someone would have offered help. The fact is, times have changed, crime rates have increased, and people are just too scared to offer help. We've all seen the CSI, Law and Order, Cold Case, etc shows...I remember one episode where a flat tire was the lure to attack someone. I'm sure plenty of them felt bad for not offering help. But in all reality, if I had passed you, I would have asked if I could call AAA for you, but that's probably it. I do understand though...where are all the good samaritans? My husband's truck lost it's alternater a couple of months ago. He was stuck, in the Northgate area. The place his truck finally decided to stop, was at a street light, in the right hand lane, blocking people from turning right. He got out, called for a tow, popped his hood and sat there in the bed of his truck for 3 hours before the tow finally came. Plenty of people went by, some with large trucks...even a few tow trucks went by. Now I know they were headed someplace, but would it have been that hard to offer some condolences at least? The sad thing is a lot of people just don't care anymore. Our society is turning into a "if it doesn't do something for me, I'm not doing it" type of group. We used to spend a lot of time out driving, and if we saw a homeless person begging for food, we would go get him take out. What can we do?

Old 11-20-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmarysville View Post
If this had happened in the 90's, someone would have offered help. The fact is, times have changed, crime rates have increased, and people are just too scared to offer help. We've all seen the CSI, Law and Order, Cold Case, etc shows...I remember one episode where a flat tire was the lure to attack someone. I'm sure plenty of them felt bad for not offering help. But in all reality, if I had passed you, I would have asked if I could call AAA for you, but that's probably it. I do understand though...where are all the good samaritans? My husband's truck lost it's alternater a couple of months ago. He was stuck, in the Northgate area. The place his truck finally decided to stop, was at a street light, in the right hand lane, blocking people from turning right. He got out, called for a tow, popped his hood and sat there in the bed of his truck for 3 hours before the tow finally came. Plenty of people went by, some with large trucks...even a few tow trucks went by. Now I know they were headed someplace, but would it have been that hard to offer some condolences at least? The sad thing is a lot of people just don't care anymore. Our society is turning into a "if it doesn't do something for me, I'm not doing it" type of group. We used to spend a lot of time out driving, and if we saw a homeless person begging for food, we would go get him take out. What can we do?
I think the problem is too many people watch crime dramas and Fox News and are conditioned to believe the bogeyman is lurking around every corner (usually with a turban and/or brown skin, possibly holding a suitcase nuke).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area