Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 08:38 PM

4,910 posts, read 2,060,853 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'll now 7 months away from retirement and I'll be returning home to Western Washington after being gone for the last 33 plus years... I visit family/friends about twice a year, so I know that things have changed since the early 80s in both areas. Anyway, I've zeroed in on two areas, Tacoma (north & northeast) and Renton, up in the hills.

I was hoping if anybody could give me a rough amount of taxes on a single family home in the approx price range of $475Ks for both areas. I understand that it's pretty much computed at X$ per $1,000.00 of the total value of the house and land.

Also, if I reside in either the cities of Tacoma or Renton, do I also pay Property Taxes for Pierce or King county?

I prefer living in Renton since I'll most likely be working in the downtown Seattle area and ride the metro bus to and from work. Also, that is where I met my wife back in the mid 80s. Depending on property taxes, which will pretty much determine where I'll end up at... If there is a great difference.

Thanks for looking!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 09:11 AM

279 posts, read 480,217 times
The 2014 Codes and Levies for Renton range from 12.99420 to 14.60412 per thousand depending on what neighborhood you live in. They are some of the highest rates in Seattle.

Let's say you have a home that is assessed at $500,000.00 with using the above tax rate you will pay between $6497.10 and $7302.00

Each area has it's own codes and levies. So you really need to call the county and learn about it before you purchase as it does make a giant difference. For instance Bellevue has levy rates as low as 9.52457 which is considerably lower.

Now if you are a senior citizen you get a special levy rate. Also if you make under 25K a year you get an additional deduction. I believe it's reduced up to 60%

Good luck!

Old 04-28-2014, 03:14 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,351,453 times
Renton does have a higher rate, but also assessments are often much lower than selling prices. A 475,000 dollar home will often have taxes around 4800-5000 in Renton.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:11 AM

4,910 posts, read 2,060,853 times
Thank you for the replies. I didn't realize that taxes in Renton was that high... I guess North/Northeast Tacoma is now looking better.

I'm originally from Seattle, the Mt. Baker area... Closer to Rainier Valley than Lake Washington and was hoping to move somewhat closer to Seattle since I'll be working in the downtown area and I really enjoy city life, but in retirement, I have to think about things in a more long term manner since I'll be on a fixed income.

I never lived or spent much time in the Tacoma area, but I've read that "things" are now changing for the better in Tacoma... Crime is still present, but the gang issues from the 80s/90s is somewhat in check. Also, everything I've read points to the north/northeast parts of Tacoma as being pretty stable.

I just hope that the taxes in Tacoma are less than in King County.

...The search continues!!

Old 05-02-2014, 07:15 AM

279 posts, read 480,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Thank you for the replies. I didn't realize that taxes in Renton was that high... I guess North/Northeast Tacoma is now looking better.

I'm originally from Seattle, the Mt. Baker area... Closer to Rainier Valley than Lake Washington and was hoping to move somewhat closer to Seattle since I'll be working in the downtown area and I really enjoy city life, but in retirement, I have to think about things in a more long term manner since I'll be on a fixed income.

I never lived or spent much time in the Tacoma area, but I've read that "things" are now changing for the better in Tacoma... Crime is still present, but the gang issues from the 80s/90s is somewhat in check. Also, everything I've read points to the north/northeast parts of Tacoma as being pretty stable.

I just hope that the taxes in Tacoma are less than in King County.

...The search continues!!

I'm a real estate agent in California and not Washington state yet. So I can only tell you what I have researched in the previous comment. Your age and income comes into play with property taxes. You really should talk to a local real estate agent and find out more info on property taxes and local trends of the areas you are wanting to know more about. I know Ira500 on this board seems to have a wealth of information. Maybe ask him. If not, look for an agent in the areas you are wanting to relocate to. It costs you nothing to ask questions. If you decide to purchase you are not paying the real estate agent either. That's the sellers job! Best of Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area