Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2015, 02:44 AM

7 posts, read 7,368 times

Advertisements

Maybe somebody who lived in Houston can help me with this question. I'm toying with the idea of moving to Seattle and I was wondering what areas would be like these Houston areas:

Montrose: Gays, Hipsters, Bohemians, and Eccentrics
Washington/Rice/Military/Memorial: Bars and New Yuppie Townhomes/Condos
Midtown: Recently (past 10-20 years) gentrified and hip-ified urban wasteland (still sketchy)
Galleria/Uptown: High-end Shopping!
Medical Center: Self-explanatory

My sister is adamant that I move to Bellevue. But Bellevue makes me think of Houston's Sugarland, Missouri City, or Memorial City which are way too much trouble to travel from to get to the happening Houston spots (610 loop). Is this an accurate assessment on my part? The thought of crossing Lake Washington (and paying toll) just to go to the happening spots in Seattle makes me hesitant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 08:56 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,977,898 times
I have never lived in Houston, but I've visited a number of times. Drawing a lot of direct comparisons between areas might be hard- the two places have such different layouts and overall feels.

That said, you could certainly compare Capitol Hill to Montrose, except I think Capitol Hill is a few years ahead in terms of development and rising rents. But in terms of cafes bars, thrift stores, and an overall bohemian feel (which it seems in both is being eclipsed by pricey development) there's a comparison to be made.

The Galleria area area reminds me of parts of Bellevue, but in geographic terms, they have very different spaces within the two cities.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:56 AM

338 posts, read 849,752 times
I've lived in Houston & Sugarland, and now live in Seattle.
The two cities are so drastically different, I don't think Houston exists here. And honestly, I'm not sure I'd want it to.
We moved here to escape the feel and politics of Texas. :/

That being said, Bellevue would be very much like the Galleria area, mixed with a lot of Sugarland.
Medical Center could possibly be parts of U-District near UW's medical school I guess...
Washington/Rice/Military/Memorial = Belltown.
Montrose = most of central Seattle (Fremont, Phinney Ridge, Capitol Hill, Ballard, etc.)
Midtown = probably north and south of Seattle, so neighborhoods like parts of Northgate, Burien, White Center, Rainier Valley, etc., but even then, parts of those areas not at all. That's a hard one.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:10 PM

328 posts, read 840,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaonevar View Post
I've lived in Houston & Sugarland, and now live in Seattle.
The two cities are so drastically different, I don't think Houston exists here. And honestly, I'm not sure I'd want it to.
We moved here to escape the feel and politics of Texas. :/

That being said, Bellevue would be very much like the Galleria area, mixed with a lot of Sugarland.
Medical Center could possibly be parts of U-District near UW's medical school I guess...
Washington/Rice/Military/Memorial = Belltown.
Montrose = most of central Seattle (Fremont, Phinney Ridge, Capitol Hill, Ballard, etc.)
Midtown = probably north and south of Seattle, so neighborhoods like parts of Northgate, Burien, White Center, Rainier Valley, etc., but even then, parts of those areas not at all. That's a hard one.
^^ This - I would add from what I recall of Midtown, it would be somewhat like Georgetown - but it has been over twenty years since I lived in Houston so I could be off the mark.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:00 PM

710 posts, read 1,399,972 times
I lived in Houston for 12 years before finally escaping ha. I would agree with both of the above posts and they have pretty much covered it, but yeah, Houston does not exist here, never will and I would never want it to. It is probably the most different you can get from Houston in the US IMO lol.

Anyway, good luck with your move if you do choose to leave!

Old 01-08-2015, 10:10 PM

180 posts, read 322,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianopeep View Post
Maybe somebody who lived in Houston can help me with this question. I'm toying with the idea of moving to Seattle and I was wondering what areas would be like these Houston areas:

Montrose: Gays, Hipsters, Bohemians, and Eccentrics
Washington/Rice/Military/Memorial: Bars and New Yuppie Townhomes/Condos
Midtown: Recently (past 10-20 years) gentrified and hip-ified urban wasteland (still sketchy)
Galleria/Uptown: High-end Shopping!
Medical Center: Self-explanatory

My sister is adamant that I move to Bellevue. But Bellevue makes me think of Houston's Sugarland, Missouri City, or Memorial City which are way too much trouble to travel from to get to the happening Houston spots (610 loop). Is this an accurate assessment on my part? The thought of crossing Lake Washington (and paying toll) just to go to the happening spots in Seattle makes me hesitant.
I lived in Houston for 5 years... If I have to take a guess:

Montrose = Georgetown
Rice/Military = Capital Hill
Houston Heights/Timbergrove = Green Lake
Galleria = Downtown Bellevue
Medical Center = University

The burbs here are leaps and bounds better than the burbs in Houston. Much better scenery (mountains, lakes), better outdoor activities, etc. Also, the weather here is much better

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area