Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 08:48 AM

163 posts, read 269,966 times

Advertisements

Where have you considered moving?

Have you tried living elsewhere and ended up coming back?

How do you cope with Oct - June? Winter vacations?

I've been here for 23 years.. I'm 27 now. I'm almost at the point of making an impulse move to Denver just to see the sun. Look at the forecast for Seattle right now.. Not only has it been raining for weeks, the next 10 days shows rain every day. This is pure insanity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 10:08 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Have you thought of Boise? I've had some clients move there and seem to like it.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:49 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
For family reasons, we spent 6 months of last year living in Boulder, CO (Sept - March with a few weeks in Seattle here and there). While we enjoyed it, I don't know that I'd want to live there full time. Although we enjoyed it enough that we're toying with the idea of splitting our time between the two places if we can work something out with our jobs. Dunno that I'd want to live there in the summer (heat, bugs, dry, wind), but we did enjoy the winter.

If you want sun then CO has lots of it. Plus, I'm a fan of impulse moves. Even if they don't work out, they can be a lot of fun.

Things to note:

Yes, you do get gorgeous sunshine in the winter. There were days where I was comfortably sitting in the sun on the patio, with no coat, while piles of snow were melting next to me. That was pretty cool.

The snow is fantastic, crunchy, powder. Easy to drive in, a blast to play in.

The sun is really hot at high altitude. The thinner air heats and cools quicker. A sunny day in CO feels much hotter than a sunny day in Seattle. Nights get cold, even in the summer. Pay attention to sunscreen, you can burn at the drop of a hat.

I hope you like snow. A lot. I adore snow, but even I was getting sick of it by March (although to be fair, it was a record year for snow). There were several times where it snowed every day for a week, often many inches a day. Make sure you have a good car and good tires.

All that snow goes away very quickly. It has little moisture and just kinda shrinks. So the roads suck for a bit and then after a day or two of sunshine it's fine. Stock up on washer fluid and give up on having a clean car.

When it's warm, you really need to get up and get going if you're into outdoor recreation. You don't want to be on the top of a hill when an afternoon thunderstorm builds, or really exerting yourself in the heat of the day.

I felt that traffic was better. There are fewer bottlenecks, and more back routes. Not that things never back up or get bad. People seem to drive faster and are less passive than WA drivers. I prefer that.

Green chili!!! I developed a taste for it living in NM, and boy - you just cannot find decent green chili here in Seattle. CO has lots of excellent green chili all over the place. *le happy sigh*

I missed the air in Seattle. The air in CO is hot or cold, and thin. It can feel choking hot and dusty in the summer and it's sharp in the winter. There were plenty of days where I just really missed a cool, misty, drizzly Seattle day. I wanted to feel the moisture against my face and breath it into my lungs. The air here smells awesome too.

I missed the uniqueness of Seattle. There's lots and lots of sprawl in CO and it all looks like the same bunch of chain stores. With few exceptions, one part of town looks just like another. Boulder was definitely more quirky. I'm glad that was where we were living, and I'd definitely pick that over Denver.

Life is short. Try something new if you really feel moved to do so.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:00 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post

I missed the uniqueness of Seattle. There's lots and lots of sprawl in CO and it all looks like the same bunch of chain stores. With few exceptions, one part of town looks just like another. Boulder was definitely more quirky. I'm glad that was where we were living, and I'd definitely pick that over Denver.

Life is short. Try something new if you really feel moved to do so.
The "sprawl"-the suburbs-seem to look much the same wherever you go.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:30 PM

678 posts, read 875,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlephil View Post
Where have you considered moving?

Have you tried living elsewhere and ended up coming back?

How do you cope with Oct - June? Winter vacations?

I've been here for 23 years.. I'm 27 now. I'm almost at the point of making an impulse move to Denver just to see the sun. Look at the forecast for Seattle right now.. Not only has it been raining for weeks, the next 10 days shows rain every day. This is pure insanity!
Maybe try Spokane? Texas?

Old 01-28-2016, 01:38 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
I didn't know it's been raining for weeks. Seriously. Last week had 4 sunny days by the way.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:54 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I didn't know it's been raining for weeks. Seriously. Last week had 4 sunny days by the way.
Shhh, we're being overwhelmed, if someone wants to leave, give them a map. Everyone, it rains constantly here, our golden retriever was doing the backstroke just trying to run in the yard!

Old 01-28-2016, 01:56 PM

337 posts, read 494,857 times
I've considered the Southwest (Phoenix and Albuquerque) but not because of the rain. I'm tired of feeling packed-in as well as how expensive it's getting here.

Rain just doesn't bother me because I came from a region where we had a lot of snow, ice and frigid temperatures in the winter. Rain is nothing to me.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:58 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
Quote:

And the few days of rain before that was preceded by more sunny days. Yep. However, I think for some folks, they get to a point where it takes a lot of sunny days to make up for a few rainy ones. By then any rainy days feel like too many. If you've reached that sort of breaking point, then moving isn't the world's worst idea. It may be trading one set of issues for another (because every place has some), but one person's deal-breaker is another person's deal maker.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:40 PM

99 posts, read 93,069 times
I've been here since June 2012 and I'm moving back to NC this summer. I just can't take the gloom anymore. I suffer from depression, and the rain and darkness make it much, much worse.

I really think if it bothers you a lot, you should consider moving :-/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area