Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 10:01 AM

17 posts, read 16,652 times

Advertisements

hows Renton?/ any advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 10:46 AM

50 posts, read 92,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCHi View Post
hows Renton?/ any advise.
Brutal commute, not great schools for Renton.

Honestly, I think after you've lived here a while something in your attitude will adjust. Either your budget will increase, or you'll become more open to older homes, unless your DH really loves commuting for an hour or more each way, every day. You seem unreasonably opposed to looking in north Seattle or perhaps Columbia City. Schools in north Seattle can be quite good, particularly if you're looking from Wallingford or Fremont east. The furthest north schools tend to have the least strong reputations.

Yes, if you live in the city, you'll have to get a smaller, older home, but the extra time your DH gets to spend with you and the kids would be a worthwhile tradeoff for many folks. Shoreline is as far out as I'd want to go with a job at Amazon. Bothell would get really old, really fast from a commute perspective, and as suburbs go, it's dull. I'd personally much prefer Edmonds, which has more charm and a comparable commute.

Rent for a year or two, and see how you feel. That will give you time to get to know the area and to get a feel for traffic. Also, I wouldn't worry about renting and buying in the same district. Elementary school enrollment areas are not that large, and you're extremely unlikely to end up buying a house in the same zone as where you've rented. Your older daughter would be grandfathered in and able to stay in the same school, but the district would not provide transportation, and your younger daughter would only be able to attend there if space were available.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:49 AM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
Anywhere you can quickly access LINK-airport is a plus. Renton to Tukwila-LINK to Westlake Station to LakeUnion Streetcar.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:53 AM

Your children are young enough to tolerate a 1-2 school change.
IMO, public schools in Seattle will become better because of demographic changes.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:05 AM

Here is a place in Eastlake Union: Rental Listings - 1 Rentals | Zillow.

School rating is pretty good. No experience.
Very close to Amazon. A short bus ride or bike/walk. Nice area.

Disclaimer: we have a rental 2+2 in Eastlake.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:43 PM

thanks . I guess we are just over thinking it. Or maybe its me..would be a big move for us as we have never been this far from family or friends so brand new life ...I really appreciate all the help.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:00 PM

Remember, practically everyone at Amazon or tech company, will be from somewhere else.
YoldhomeMV

Old 04-25-2016, 01:16 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Does amazon not have a connector bus service?

I have always just assumed they do, MS has them running about all the time

perhaps there are some vans that run from various east /north locations.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:46 PM

450 posts, read 550,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52 View Post
Nasty commute from Kirkland to Amazon. I live in Kirkland and wouldn't do that commute.
Some good deals on older homes in North Rose Hill if you want prices under $900k. You can't get sparkly new for under that. Only problem is no one is selling the older homes, or rarely.
it is a seller's market but no need to over-exaggerate and scare off all newcomers. OP Here is a brand new spanking 3500+ sq ft. house with yard that just sold in the neighborhood mentioned above (North Rose Hill) for $899k. https://www.redfin.com/WA/Kirkland/1.../home/59832379

Old 04-25-2016, 01:51 PM

Thanks Misscross..that looks reasonable.. I could live w/that..but is the area good..Rose Hill in Kirkland.. I see hope ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area