Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 04:25 PM

153 posts, read 526,845 times

Advertisements

Hi, My wife and I are coming to Seattle for the very first time on the 4th of July weekend and we want to have some fun!!! We are both in our early 20s and dont want to rent a car and I want to experience things I cant do back at home(Houston)!! I heard good things about Seattle and always wanted to come so I am open to anything along as it is fun and unique. Thanks for any replies!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 04:38 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,734,376 times
Take one of the ferries. Cheap and the vistas are amazing. I haven't been there yet, but I've heard the ferry to Bainbridge Island is a lovely day trip. We went on a different ferry yesterday, there are a bunch of them, it was beautiful and cost us only $4.20 each, round trip (pedestrians, no car). Car fares are higher.

Official Washington State Ferries Homepage

Old 06-30-2008, 04:38 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,112,284 times
Here are lots and lots of great info:
Visiting Seattle - Seattle 101, A Guide for Travelers and Tourists
and
http://www.city-data.com/forum/3880822-post2.html

Have fun planning!

Old 07-01-2008, 12:44 AM

474 posts, read 1,456,277 times
Default For one thing

you won't be in Houston

You've gotten some good suggestions. Dine al fresco at a number of spots in the city (try Ray's Boathouse around sunset, or Anthony's next door); visit Golden Gardens, Alki, or Greenlake on warm sunny (no Houston humidity) days; take the ferry, rent a canoe at Husky Stadium or a kayak at Agua Verde near the UW; catch the fireworks at Gas Works or Myrtle Edwards park; take a day trip to Mt Rainier... the list goes on.

Now you tell me - what do I have to do when I go to Houston next week? The heat will likely kill me, but I'd like to see something...

Old 07-01-2008, 12:51 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,360,346 times
Take a bus to Seward Park and walk the 2 1/2 mile loop , strolling around Lake Washington amongst beautiful trees.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:49 AM

355 posts, read 991,015 times
You should rent a car and drive up to Deception Pass.....you won't see anything like that in Houston.....just beautiful. The city has alot to offer....but going out to see the nature areas are just awesome.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:01 PM

10 posts, read 34,609 times
Default Samsmom...

is right. It's hard to find a prettier sight than Deception Pass.

You would have to rent a car though. Deception Pass would be west on Hwy 20 (Mt. Vernon - Burlington -- 60 mi. N of Seattle) off of I-5; east (Sedro Woolley, Marblemount, Lake Diablo) on Hwy 20 off I-5 over to Winthrop is another trip worth the taking. Spectacular views after Newhalem thru Washington Pass.

You won't regret it

Old 07-01-2008, 07:21 PM

343 posts, read 1,085,572 times
If you're here for the fourth, go down to Gasworks Park, and take in the fireworks on the water.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:57 AM

22 posts, read 68,630 times
This weekend is the Seattle International Beer Festival. Live music and beer from around the world.
Seattle International Beer Festival (http://www.seattlebeerfest.com/Index2%20SIB.htm - broken link)

July 4th-6th
32nd annual Wooden Boat Festival, South Lake Union Park

July 4th
PARADE 10:30 am. Starts at 44th and Sunset in West Seattle

The fireworks at Gasworks Park draws 100,000 people and could be a difficult to get to. To get a great view of the fireworks and stay close to downtown, just go to South Lake Union Park and take the street car from Westlake and Olive. It will run every 10 minutes from 10pm-1am.

July 5th:
Swashbuckler Beach Vault Competition and Seafair pirate landing on Alki Beach (all day)

July 5th:
Milk Carton Derby Races at Greenlake. 10am-4pm

July 5th: Watch an outdoor movie in the Fremont district. This is a lot of fun. Some people come dressed like characters in the movie that's being shown. Free.
Fremont Outdoor Movies | Home

July 5th Rockabilly, Burlesque BBQ and hot rod car show at 6pm, 1414 Alaskan Way

If you get here on Thursday night in advance of the 3 day weekend, go over to Pioneer Square for the monthly art walk. Dozens of galleries open their doors for free art viewing, live music, beer/ wine and other live outdoor entertainment. Starts at 5pm. A couple of months ago there was a large marching band dressed up in bakers outfits marching down the street during the art walk. Welcome to Pioneer Square (http://www.pioneersquare.org/first_thursday.html - broken link)

After the art walk, head over to Fifth Avenue and University Street to watch an outdoor movie that's shown 50-feet high, 100 feet wide on the side of the Rainier Skyscraper. Just follow the signs up to the outdoor viewing area. Get there early as it will fill up fast. Free. This week the Princess Bride will be showing. Next week Juno. Movie starts 30 minutes after dusk which will be around 9:45pm.

July 3rd-Dance Party on Alki Beach at 7pm. Take water taxi. Elliott Bay Water Taxi (http://transit.metrokc.gov/tops/oto/water_taxi.html - broken link)

Hope this helps and welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area