Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2018, 02:10 PM

808 posts, read 541,858 times

Advertisements

I've heard that the UW offers low-cost classes to senior citizens, and with those classes comes access to the UW libraries.
Are there any options other than to sign up for a class?

The Seattle Public Library is useless when it comes to trying to do research - it seems to be mostly enterntainment and employment oriented. I've found as I've gotten older that I'm much more interested in understanding the way the world works, and both King County and Seattle public libraries have a dearth of hard-core analysis books. Looking at WorldCat, I see almost all the books I want are available at the UW libraries.

Can anyone tell me the cheapest way to get access to those libraries? The people I've talked to had access in the past, but were not able to be specific enough for me to find anything on the UW website, so I don't know if I'm not searching in the right place, or the UW's policies have changed over the years.

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 07:41 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
So, you're not an alum? Have you called the UW main library, to ask? You can always use the libraries as a day visitor, but to check out books, you'll have to call and ask.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:46 AM

1,155 posts, read 962,733 times
The King County Library System offers an inter-library loan service to its patrons.

What that means, in practical terms, is that you can order any book using the ILL form on the KCLS website, and KCLS will borrow it from one of its inter-library loan partners, usually for free. I've ordered many specialized items from KCLS that have arrived from academic libraries around the country, some from as far east as New England.

Also, the UW Access program offers people aged 60+ enrollment in up to two courses per quarter for a registration fee of $5. UW Access is for people who want to audit courses and use the libraries, not to earn academic credits. If you also want a student email address and use of the computer labs, then the Technology fee costs $4 a credit on top of the $5 enrollment fee.

If you want access to the excellent UW libraries with checkout privileges, then $25 per quarter for one 5-credit class is not a bad price.

https://registrar.washington.edu/cou...ccess-program/

Old 09-30-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
The King County Library System offers an inter-library loan service to its patrons.

What that means, in practical terms, is that you can order any book using the ILL form on the KCLS website, and KCLS will borrow it from one of its inter-library loan partners, usually for free. I've ordered many specialized items from KCLS that have arrived from academic libraries around the country, some from as far east as New England.

Also, the UW Access program offers people aged 60+ enrollment in up to two courses per quarter for a registration fee of $5. UW Access is for people who want to audit courses and use the libraries, not to earn academic credits. If you also want a student email address and use of the computer labs, then the Technology fee costs $4 a credit on top of the $5 enrollment fee.

If you want access to the excellent UW libraries with checkout privileges, then $25 per quarter for one 5-credit class is not a bad price.

https://registrar.washington.edu/cou...ccess-program/
The OP said she didn't want to sign up for a class, in order to access the library, though. She was looking for an alternative route.

I'm trying to think back to my days of working at the UW. I'm not sure if, with the anti-theft security measures they put in place, day use of the library because restricted to faculty, staff, alums, and students, IOW--anyone with some form of UW-related ID card. It may be that interlibrary loan would be your only option, but I'd still call and ask, if I were you, OP. I can see how using interlibrary loan could be somewhat restrictive, in that, in order to find out what books the UW has that might interest you, you really have to have access to the UW's library database, or browse their stacks. But if you want to access books, whose titles you already have, then public library inter-library loan would be the way to go. Or buy used books on Amazon. Some are quite cheap. Shipping is more expensive than the books, in some instances.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The OP said she didn't want to sign up for a class, in order to access the library, though. She was looking for an alternative route.
Auditing a class (which is all that UW Access allows) comes with no expectations of exams, tests, papers, or even attendance. OP could just sign up for a UW Access class and fill her boots at the UW libraries for $25/quarter. Just an idea.

Quote:
I can see how using interlibrary loan could be somewhat restrictive, in that, in order to find out what books the UW has that might interest you, you really have to have access to the UW's library database, or browse their stacks.
OP already said that, using WorldCat, she can see that many of the books she needs are available in the UW libraries. Location information is part of what you get on WorldCat.

Old 09-30-2018, 03:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Look into other academic library sharing schools. Sometimes Jr College or private U's will allow access to State U libraries.

This might be closer / cheaper option.

$25 / term + class fees / + hassle of signing up every qtr is a tad spendy and troublesome for a senior to access an academic library. (I am not in WA often enough to jump through the hoops every few months. But I would really benefit and enjoy these services (no TV, no internet at home). This (and WA property tax (Personal and RE)) is where I wish there was 'creativity' for retirees... and others with no income. We would gladly volunteer / work / educate / assist in areas of our expertise in lieu of $10 - $50 / day in taxes!

Some of us have a lot more service remaining to provide, but very little cash.. (pre-age 50 retiree). Can hardly wait for 'senior' tuition at U! I have a lot more to learn

Old 09-30-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Look into other academic library sharing schools. Sometimes Jr College or private U's will allow access to State U libraries.

This might be closer / cheaper option.

$25 / term + class fees / + hassle of signing up every qtr is a tad spendy and troublesome for a senior to access an academic library. (I am not in WA often enough to jump through the hoops every few months. But I would really benefit and enjoy these services (no TV, no internet at home). This (and WA property tax (Personal and RE)) is where I wish there was 'creativity' for retirees... and others with no income. We would gladly volunteer / work / educate / assist in areas of our expertise in lieu of $10 - $50 / day in taxes!

Some of us have a lot more service remaining to provide, but very little cash.. (pre-age 50 retiree). Can hardly wait for 'senior' tuition at U! I have a lot more to learn
Actually, the UW Access fees per quarter are $5 registration fee for one or two classes per quarter plus a $4 per credit charge for the Techology fee, not $25/term + class fees.

It works out as:

$5 registration fee plus $20 Technology fee for a 5-credit class (@$4 per credit) = $25/quarter for one class,

or

$5 registration fee plus $40 Technology fee for two 5-credit classes (@$4/credit) = $45/quarter for 2 classes.

That doesn't seem too spendy or troublesome to me. You get access to instruction from world-class professors and access to the rich and beautiful resources of the UW libraries. I can hardly wait! I'll be first in line at the Registration office just as soon as I turn 60.

As far as a break on property taxes, many counties in WA grant property tax exemptions and deferrals for low-income or disabled seniors and other property owners. I know King County does. With those exemptions and referrals in place, people who are truly strapped for cash do get a break on RE taxes.

I don't see how the volunteer/work/assist thing would pan out at a highly-ranked university like UW. People paying that kind of tuition expect to receive their instruction from professors with top degrees and years of teaching/publishing at the highest levels, not from volunteers.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:

thank you, this is what I was looking for.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:

I'm trying to think back to my days of working at the UW. I'm not sure if, with the anti-theft security measures they put in place, day use of the library because restricted to faculty, staff, alums, and students, IOW--anyone with some form of UW-related ID card. It may be that interlibrary loan would be your only option, but I'd still call and ask, if I were you, OP. I can see how using interlibrary loan could be somewhat restrictive, in that, in order to find out what books the UW has that might interest you, you really have to have access to the UW's library database, or browse their stacks. But if you want to access books, whose titles you already have, then public library inter-library loan would be the way to go. Or buy used books on Amazon. Some are quite cheap. Shipping is more expensive than the books, in some instances.

I'm not adverse to signing up for a class, I was just trying to find out if there were another way.
The reason I was interested in the UW library system is because I was using WorldCat to find specific books mentinoed in bibliographies, and although neither the Seattle nor King County system had many of them, the UW had most. I had tried in the past to get a UW card, and found the senior program once on their website, but could not find it again. So thank you all for your help.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Actually, the UW Access fees per quarter are $5 registration fee for one or two classes per quarter plus a $4 per credit charge for the Techology fee, not $25/term + class fees.

It works out as:

$5 registration fee plus $20 Technology fee for a 5-credit class (@$4 per credit) = $25/quarter for one class,

or

$5 registration fee plus $40 Technology fee for two 5-credit classes (@$4/credit) = $45/quarter for 2 classes.

That doesn't seem too spendy or troublesome to me. You get access to instruction from world-class professors and access to the rich and beautiful resources of the UW libraries. I can hardly wait! I'll be first in line at the Registration office just as soon as I turn 60.

As far as a break on property taxes, many counties in WA grant property tax exemptions and deferrals for low-income or disabled seniors and other property owners. I know King County does. With those exemptions and referrals in place, people who are truly strapped for cash do get a break on RE taxes.

I don't see how the volunteer/work/assist thing would pan out at a highly-ranked university like UW. People paying that kind of tuition expect to receive their instruction from professors with top degrees and years of teaching/publishing at the highest levels, not from volunteers.
But the OP, I thought, isn't interested in access to world class professors. OTOH, she doesn't need to sign up for a 5-credit class, either. There are two- and three-credit classes. That would come to a $12 technology fee for a 3-cr. class + $5 for registration: $17. IDK if that's still too much for the OP to pay. It would be $13 for a two-credit class, if she could find one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: