Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 08:56 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times

Advertisements

Amazon has apparently chosen Crystal City, VA, and Long Island City, NY as a "split" 2nd HQ, with both offering lower employment than the Seattle HQ.

What does this mean for the Seattle HQ1?

Will this Keep Seattle as the "main" HQ? My understanding is this will indeed keep Seattle forefront.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/05/t...ers-split.html

Last edited by pnwguy2; 11-05-2018 at 09:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 09:17 PM

438 posts, read 376,499 times
It looks like that to me.

This whole hunt for a 2nd headquarter seems like a bigger thing then it really is. Amazon never seemed to want to leave Seattle or refocus the entire company at a new point, simply add a new HQ for select departments and a place for executives who work for particular section in Amazon. At this point Bezos and Amazons (because at this point I feel that Amazon the entity controls Bezos more at this point in time) main growth is in Data and contracts with various government departments and in providing their home operations/improvement services. These locations give them the ease of access to the people they'll need to operate with and alongside as those areas grow.

Seattle will keep it HQ title (honestly these two locations sound like their mainly administrative hubs and/or be nothing more then satellite campuses, similar to the Google or Facebook satellite campus we have in Seattle) Satellite campuses aren't bad and can have just as much influence as the main HQ, especially when their in locations that have a more global presence which is another motivator for picking East Coast cities near or in world class cities.

No matter what, I think it helps Seattle more then anything. You get to help offload the burden of the city to maintain all the employees, contract workers, and interns in one place and yet you still get to stay in good standing with one of the fastest growing organizations in the country/world.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:27 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
VA = Gov't.

So...

Amazon + VA = Amazon + Gov't

Oh, wait, that's not what you were asking about.

Hell if I know how it affects Seattle... but if my husband comes home tomorrow and says his group is moving to Queens I'll just look at him and say "well... bye"

Old 11-05-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
VA = Gov't.

So...

Amazon + VA = Amazon + Gov't

Oh, wait, that's not what you were asking about.

Hell if I know how it affects Seattle... but if my husband comes home tomorrow and says his group is moving to Queens I'll just look at him and say "well... bye"
That is funny, flyingsaucer!

But this is really a big story for Seattle-based Amazon. The fact that they are splitting their HQ2 locations begs to offer the question what role their Seattle HQR will maintain. My guess is this will maintain their HQR's with New York and Virginia becoming satellite operations. If so, a big win for Seattle.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:27 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
They've continued to expand in Seattle, including a sizable office building that broke ground last week. That's an interesting sign.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:39 PM

The new Rainier Square Tower (soon to be Seattle's 2nd tallest), will be mostly leased by Amazon. My thought here is Seattle is the main hometown of Amazon, and these down-sized satellites will be important, but secondary to Seattle.

I have been predicting this outcome for the past half year on the "general US" thread, but was shot-down. I guess we have an understanding today that Seattle will maintain the main HQR, with a lesser east coast presence. Very interesting times with Amazon, no doubt.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:43 PM

426 posts, read 526,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
They've continued to expand in Seattle, including a sizable office building that broke ground last week. That's an interesting sign.
I thought hiring was still frozen, or has that changed?

Oddly I see Zestimates continuing to go up even though the market has slowed down apparently. Trying to find any explanation for this.

I understand they're not accurate, but seem to have done a fairly good job in tracking the general trend of things, unless maybe they haven't.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:50 PM

426 posts, read 526,833 times
Also was under the impression that Dallas was still a contender. Judging from the wording in that article, I guess not.

New York does make sense. I wouldn't be surprised if Bezos spent most of his time there, and may move the executive team, leaving Seattle for tech. Kind of like the separation they had on Beacon Hill.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:00 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityWok View Post

Oddly I see Zestimates continuing to go up even though the market has slowed down apparently. Trying to find any explanation for this.

I understand they're not accurate, but seem to have done a fairly good job in tracking the general trend of things, unless maybe they haven't.
So often in my work, Zestimates are way off.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:25 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityWok View Post
Only half the company .com, not AWS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: