Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 02:35 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,374,563 times

Advertisements

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opin...ki/2287692002/

Quote:
The Phoenix City Council on Wednesday voted to postpone a scheduled vote on whether to spend $150 million upgrading the Suns arena. This, because the deal would have gone down in flames had it been put to a vote.

Instead, the city that tried to ram this deal down citizens' throats will now have five public hearings over the next month.

Commence the showdown between the city and Suns owner Robert Sarver, who recently called a council member and said he would take the team to Seattle or Las Vegas if the arena deal doesn't go through.

"Sarver’s talking about moving," the council member told me. "He basically told me the team will go (if they don't get a renovated arena). Vegas and Seattle were the two he talked about."
https://www.azcentral.com/story/opin...te/2265366002/

Quote:
It becomes clearer and clearer why the city of Phoenix is rushing this week to shell out $150 million to upgrade the Suns arena, springing it on citizens only after the deal was secretly cut.

Nearly 66 percent of Phoenix voters polled oppose the plan.
If this should come about, they won't be named the "Sun", of course. Nor the "Rain". An additional irony is that the movement against public subsidies for private arenas/stadiums, which arguably began in Seattle, would seem to be taking root elsewhere (and could become a factor in a franchise returning here).

We've seen this "dance" before (Memphis, Sacramento, Minnesota, etc.): I'm not holding out much hope for any new "steps". Still, "hope springs eternal in the human heart" (Alexander Pope).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 02:44 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,551,421 times
Ugh. After years of misplaced loyalty the NBA is dead to me now. I don't miss them at all.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Ugh. After years of misplaced loyalty the NBA is dead to me now. I don't miss them at all.
Yeah, I've long since moved onto UW Volleyball. It would take a very hard sell to get me back, even as just an eyeball (as opposed to a fanny in a seat).

Old 12-14-2018, 12:41 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,164,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post

Agreed! Until the league can come up with a hard cap like they do in the NFL, there is no parity in the league. I find it boring. Why read the book when you know the outcome? It's too predictable.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:51 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,012,645 times
There's also a thread about this in the basketball forum. The Sonics moved to OKC because of the refusal to build a new tax-funded stadium here. At the time, there was a credible rumor that NBA commish Stern decreed that Seattle would never get another team, as a lesson to other cities. Hence it might be more likely the Suns move to Las Vegas, even though Seattle is a much bigger market. Phoenix is actually just ahead of Seattle in that regard. OKC and Vegas are both far down the list.

I'm an NBA fan; it's the only pro sport that I still follow. Growing up I followed all of them. Nonetheless I would not like to see a team come back here. For one thing, if we stole a team from another city, wouldn't we be doing to them what Clay Bennett did to us, and about which we bitterly complained?

I view pro sports like a swarm of mosquitoes. We chased them out of our backyard; why invite them back? They take tax money from Joe Sixpack, redistribute to millionaire players and billionaire owners.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:29 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,878,641 times
Stern isn't commissioner anymore.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:18 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,503,165 times
Adam Silver is the current NBA Commissioner. The NBA is mentioning Seattle as a front-runner to get a new Sonic's team, but, and it is a big butt, there's always something getting in the way of that happening.

1) The Seattle City Council. There's probably no one on the SCC that loves NBA basketball. But they do love money, I would guess. So they're going to want to drain as much out of the Sonic's as possible, at all times. Chris Hansen's idea in Sodo should have been accepted. It's brainless that it wasn't, but there's always those nasty politics getting in the way of intelligence, again. Grab the money first. Later we'll talk about Gary Payton coaching the team, new uniforms, etc. Real Sonic's news. Yikes. And spikes.

2) NBA money concerns and NBA politics. What news is constantly funneling in to the mind of Commish Adam Silver would be worth good money to know. To me, anyway. Why Seattle does not have a Sonic's team playing in model year 2019 is stupid. And goofy. And really...dumb. The harder you try to find out the reason, the sooner some stupid news release from Adam Silver's office will come at you like Gary Payton stripping Michael Jordan at half court and gently kissing the ball off the glass for yet another Sonic's basket.

There may be some kind of...umm...curse on the Sonic's returning. Someone chime in who may know something about that, please.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:07 PM

Seattle was a case of being the one store on the block that defied the "protection" racket, and got bombed out as a result. On the other hand, it is in a prime "corner" location and shouldn't be left vacant and unoccupied forever.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:09 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,551,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Nonetheless I would not like to see a team come back here. For one thing, if we stole a team from another city, wouldn't we be doing to them what Clay Bennett did to us, and about which we bitterly complained?

Yep, another reason just to say no. This sort of thing is one reason why I prefer following college teams. At least you know they're staying put, and your loyalty feels rewarding too.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:04 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,164,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Yeah, I've long since moved onto UW Volleyball. It would take a very hard sell to get me back, even as just an eyeball (as opposed to a fanny in a seat).

I used to play a lot of competitive volleyball. Not only is it an amazing sport to play, it's also a fun sport to watch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area