Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 8,332 times

Advertisements

I'm considering the Burien area as a place to live. It looks like there are some nice affordable apartments, and the area seems nice. But I'm wondering if anyone knows about what the commute time is to Renton, around 4 or 5 in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 02:14 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
At 4 or 5 in the morning, commute time from downtown Renton to downtown Burien would be not more than 15 minutes, but could be less or more depending on where in Renton and where in Burien.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:02 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
At 4 or 5 in the morning, commute time from downtown Renton to downtown Burien would be not more than 15 minutes, but could be less or more depending on where in Renton and where in Burien.
I agree.

And by the way, living near Burien myself, I'm VERY pleased with the changes going on there. There have been many improvements since I first moved to the area in 1990 - and even more improvements currently underway. Old Burien has improved dramatically, and once the Burien Town Square project is completed it will be even better. It used to be that the area was completely deserted after dark, but now, with several new upscale restaurants along SW 152nd, the area is already much more lively.

Add to this the fact that Burien has a very convenient location - with fairly quick access to downtown Seattle (via 99 or the various surface streets), the huge shopping choices available at nearby Southcenter, and the available presence of nearby Puget Sound and to me Burien is really a pretty overlooked place with a very bright future.

Some areas are sill a bit dicey, but overall the trend is clearly towards improvement over the last decade or so - and my guess is that will continue in the future.

Ken

Old 03-12-2008, 11:04 PM

Burien has amazing waterview property that's usually a pretty good value. And Seacrest Park is one of the best in the Seattle area.And there's a Trader Joe's and some amazing tacquerias. What more do you need?

Old 03-15-2008, 09:35 PM

3 posts, read 9,591 times
Question Any decent mobile home parks in Burien?

I'm considering a move to Burien to be near my daughter (and potential grandchildren) in West Seattle. My mother & I own a condo in Sun City,
AZ, and with the real estate market as it is, we may have to become
winter visitors, so we're considering mobile or manufactured homes.

Ideally, I'd like a 55+ community with activities for seniors. My 92-year-old
mother loves to go dancing.

I'm semi-retired from college teaching and mostly working online, so the
commute is not an issue. I'd like to be near a major library and a good
writing community. We're also looking at Des Moines and Auburn. Any
advice would be appreciated.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:48 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francesa420 View Post
I'm considering a move to Burien to be near my daughter (and potential grandchildren) in West Seattle. My mother & I own a condo in Sun City,
AZ, and with the real estate market as it is, we may have to become
winter visitors, so we're considering mobile or manufactured homes.

Ideally, I'd like a 55+ community with activities for seniors. My 92-year-old
mother loves to go dancing.

I'm semi-retired from college teaching and mostly working online, so the
commute is not an issue. I'd like to be near a major library and a good
writing community. We're also looking at Des Moines and Auburn. Any
advice would be appreciated.
I don't know right off of any mobile parks in Burien (or Des Moines for that matter). In general mobile parks are pretty much disappearing from the greater Seattle area as the property values have simply gotten too high. I've seen one park in Seatac just west of International Blvd. It's pretty old, with very high density of older units and it's kind of down in a "hole". All in all not particularly attractive.

You might find something out in Auburn, but even there it's they must be few and far between (I don't know of one right off, but I don't go to Auburn that often). I know that 15-20 years ago there were several mobile home dealerships in Auburn, but last I passed along that route they were all gone - maybe moved out to Puyallup or even further out.

Ken

Old 03-15-2008, 10:05 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,166 times
There is one in Renton and one in Federal Way that come to mind. I *think* they are both senior communities.

Last edited by wannabeaTexan; 03-15-2008 at 10:38 PM..

Old 03-15-2008, 10:13 PM

There is a mobile home park on Lake Washington just north of Renton, The Lake Washington Beach Mobile Home Park 206-772-9990.
Closer to Burien, or more precisely between Burien and Arbor Heights is the Suburban Villa Park 206-246-4391
Near Sea-Tac Airport is the Bow Lake Park 206-244-4755...
There are also plenty of apartment complexes catering to the 55+ crowd.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:53 PM

3 posts, read 9,591 times
Thanks for the great info. This gives me a good starting place.
I hadn't thought about apartment complexes.

I love this forum.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:42 PM

36 posts, read 108,311 times
A lot of the 55+ apartments are fairly new (at least the ones I've seen in the area) and very nice. I know a lot of them have a thriving community with fun activities. They are reasonably priced as well. If I was 55+ (I'm only 28) I would look into them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area