Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2020, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,018 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm finally moving to WA to reunite with my husband who is working at Microsoft Redmond office. My new job is in Downtown Seattle. We are planning to buy a house with budget <$700k. Which area should we consider for work commute to Seattle and Redmond? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 04:19 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng2227 View Post
Hi everyone! I'm finally moving to WA to reunite with my husband who is working at Microsoft Redmond office. My new job is in Downtown Seattle. We are planning to buy a house with budget <$700k. Which area should we consider for work commute to Seattle and Redmond? Thank you
Lower Central District, Near I-90 ramp at Rainier Ave & Transit Center. A new townhouse will run about 750k.
Make DH do the commute.

We live in Redmond (flats). DS lives off Yesler. We can #545-#14 or 27 bus to his place in 60 minutes going thru downtown Seattle. He can drive to our place on I-90/I-405/SR520 in 30 minutes.

Get a RE agent ASAP.
Apts are hurting for renters.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:53 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,781,706 times
Are you interested in a house, or would a condo or townhouse be ok? Do you like things a bit more urban? Or do you prefer the suburbs?

leastprime makes a great point - this is a good time to be a renter as local housing prices have not been impacted (so far) by current events, but there do seem to be a whole of apartment complexes looking for renters. That would give you time to really zero in on the areas might appeal to you.

There are multiple brand new apartment complexes opening (or recently opened) just south of MS along 156th. They're very convenient to #545 which goes straight to DT - often faster than you can drive it yourself.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:27 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
I bought exercise equipment from a thirty-something couple with one young daughter with a $700K home that was newer, in Ravenna. Did not think this was possible, but sure is. If you want to live in the city-proper, guess there are some options. Cute, narrow house on a skinny lot. Nice, though, in that modern style one sees around here.

Want a bit more space, I'd try Redmond or Rose Hill on that money. I'm an Eastside kid of guy, but grew up in suburbia and, well, Rush says it better than me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYYdQB0mkEU

Old 05-20-2020, 09:10 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Lower Central District, Near I-90 ramp at Rainier Ave & Transit Center. A new townhouse will run about 750k.
Make DH do the commute.

We live in Redmond (flats). DS lives off Yesler. We can #545-#14 or 27 bus to his place in 60 minutes going thru downtown Seattle. He can drive to our place on I-90/I-405/SR520 in 30 minutes.

Get a RE agent ASAP.
Apts are hurting for renters.
Agree with this, North Beacon Hill townhome might work. This has the added benefit of light rail to Redmond in a couple years.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,018 times
Thank you for your inputs Yes, after looking at Zillow we think we might settle with a 2 br townhouse in Seattle

Old 05-20-2020, 10:31 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Quote:
Thank you for your inputs Yes, after looking at Zillow we think we might settle with a 2 br townhouse in Seattle
Why?
If you look at Zillow, they have a feature that shows #views and #saves.
Secure a RE and build a good relationship with the representative.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:03 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Quote:
I think this is a good plan. I hate, however, that builders are building pretty much all of the new ones without garage or dedicated parking. I REALLY vote for kicking back to one 10 (ish) years old that has garage or at least a parking spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: