Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 01:06 AM

2 posts, read 3,407 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

Kay, here's the story my story, hopefully someone here could help me out.

I am currently living in New Zealand and a few month away from finishing my Bachelor degree with Math and Finance, topped with Graduate Diploma in Finance (and possibly a post-grad in finance in two month).

For some reason, I decided that Seattle is one of the places I would like to live. To live, one needs a job (although some might find this arguable, let's let it flow for the sake of discussion).
I would like to start looking for a job, but I have a small problem.
I currently have no idea about employment, visas, expat employment etc in Seattle (and the rest of the states) for that matter.

I've been a long time member of a expat type forum in NZ, so I can only guess that you people can point me in the right direction much faster than me simply googling stuff.

So I guess I'm trying to find information on:
What can expect if moving to Seattle
What is the market for fresh graduates like (finance industry mostly, or anything business...anything but straight accounting)
What are the best places here to look for a job (I can only assume, job search customs in NZ and anywhere else I tried are different to yours)
and anything else which you might think is useful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 01:11 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,731,584 times
You're immigrating legally I presume? You will be landing in Seattle with a residency permit and a green card ready?

Old 07-03-2008, 01:20 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,109,064 times
Hi, hamiltron.

The first aspect you need to deal with is legal entry into the U.S. What is your citizenship? If you're not a U.S. citizen, here is the U.S. State Department's complete information on that subject, including what requirements you need to fulfill to work in the U.S. as a non-citizen:
Visa Home

To get an overall idea of the employment situation in a very large area around Seattle, here is the combined classified advert sections of the two leading newspapers. If you browse carefully through this, you can get some idea of the job market here:
Seattle area jobs, employment advice and information | NWjobs

About the word "expat": I'm not sure if you mean NZ expat or U.S. expat. When Americans use the word, they usually mean U.S. expat.

Have fun researching!

Old 07-03-2008, 02:29 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,506,208 times
IF you need help finding a local contact to help you out, my family helped bring a family into Seattle from Kenya, and as such they know a large amount about the process.

DM me and I'll send you some information to reach them with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: