Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 11:58 PM

12 posts, read 30,603 times

Advertisements

Would greatly appreciate folks' insight into pros and cons of older homes in Redmond/Bellevue (anywhere from 1950-1980) versus newer construction (2000+) in areas like Duvall, Redmond Ridge, and Snoqualmie Ridge. We've seen some nicely updated homes in Bellevue and Redmond (mostly Education Hill) but aren't sure about any gotchas we might experience with an older home (that and it's tough to find updated homes in areas that the rest of the neighborhood has kept pace). We've also seen some new'ish homes in Kalhanie in Issaquah that are nice.

Living in California and Colorado we always moved into new homes in the 'burbs so we didn't have to worry about older plumbing, roofs, electrical etc... With house prices out here we're limited with what we can afford (around $500k) and almost all new construction is outside of our price range. Any insight as to folks that have owned older homes would be greatly appreciated, as well as any comparison between Snoqualmie Ridge and Redmond Ridge. I'm working at the MS north campus and my wife will start work in Sammamish at the start of the school year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 10:01 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dveit View Post
Would greatly appreciate folks' insight into pros and cons of older homes in Redmond/Bellevue (anywhere from 1950-1980) versus newer construction (2000+) in areas like Duvall, Redmond Ridge, and Snoqualmie Ridge. We've seen some nicely updated homes in Bellevue and Redmond (mostly Education Hill) but aren't sure about any gotchas we might experience with an older home (that and it's tough to find updated homes in areas that the rest of the neighborhood has kept pace). We've also seen some new'ish homes in Kalhanie in Issaquah that are nice.

Living in California and Colorado we always moved into new homes in the 'burbs so we didn't have to worry about older plumbing, roofs, electrical etc... With house prices out here we're limited with what we can afford (around $500k) and almost all new construction is outside of our price range. Any insight as to folks that have owned older homes would be greatly appreciated, as well as any comparison between Snoqualmie Ridge and Redmond Ridge. I'm working at the MS north campus and my wife will start work in Sammamish at the start of the school year.

newer is always better

Old 07-24-2008, 10:14 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,268,010 times
We decided back in 1986 to buy close to work to avoid wasting time and money commuting. That is probably one of our best decisions considering how bad traffic has become and how much well located housing has appreciated.

My home was built in 1959 but that hasn't been a big problem. There are issues to consider like electrical and plumbing but so far we haven't had any major expenses other than a roof that had to be replaced about 15 years after we moved in. Our insulation isn't as good as today's housing but the flip side is the inside air quality is probably better and we don't have any mold issues.

Another issue I have with outlying areas near the Cascade foothills is the winter is colder and wetter. The King/Snohomish county line seems to get a lot more rain due to the convergence zone. For me that would be reason enough to avoid those areas.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:28 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,754,979 times
Something I've noticed (that is completely different than Phoenix, AZ) is there are a lot of older homes and not as many newer homes. I'm finding that a lot of Seattle people like older homes. It's really weird coming (most recently) from Phoenix.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:01 AM

854 posts, read 4,141,081 times
I did not like the newer development around here (sorry Veronika!). They just seemed... cheap. They have big bathrooms, which is nice, but in the 500k price range the backyards we saw were teensy-weensy strips of sod. Redmond Ridge was rows of squares -- I thought when they said they were Quadrant homes that it was because the houses were, well, quadrants, cubes. (Though one did have a nice mountain view from an upstairs window). Certainly livable, and near a trail, but not for everyone. Issaquah Heights -- at least what we saw -- had alleys that were tought to maneveur in. Our old house had alleys and that was bad enough (you really don't meet your neighbors as well as you do when you have driveways in front) when they were wide and flat. These alleys were another story. The houses might have had granite (tile) countertops, but they had no.. no... no warmth, or something. I didn't like the feel of them at all. Not for me.

So, I don't agree that newer is always better. Our 30-year-old house needs new toilets and a new furnace, but it's a small price for mature trees and a big backyard.

When we commented in one newer area of Bellevue that all the houses were variations of the same shade, she said it was Bellevue Beige. And she meant it in a nice way -- she liked it. I thought it was kind of scary.

And a short commute to work can't be beat!! (My commute is best of all -- bed to couch!! I have a great job! Now I should get back to work).

Old 07-24-2008, 11:27 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,371,813 times
I gladly trade a shorter commute for a more modest, older home. Being able to hug my daughter twelve minutes after I walk out the door to my office is worth a lot more to me than having an electrical outlet every six feet and more bathrooms than bedrooms.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:30 PM

426 posts, read 958,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
Something I've noticed (that is completely different than Phoenix, AZ) is there are a lot of older homes and not as many newer homes. I'm finding that a lot of Seattle people like older homes. It's really weird coming (most recently) from Phoenix.

Probably because Seattle was settled and grew in the late 1800's andearly 1900's, and Phoenix didn't grow until the 70's or so.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:36 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,754,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fy10fyr View Post
Probably because Seattle was settled and grew in the late 1800's andearly 1900's, and Phoenix didn't grow until the 70's or so.
That does have a lot to do with it, and there are other factors there. Houses down there are built like [something I can't post here] but everyone wants a nice house, so they think that they need to constantly move into new houses in order to get a "quality" one. Houses in Seattle are built much better than down there.

Funny thing is a house from 2000 or 2001 is starting to get old, and anything older than about 1995 is ancient and no one wants to buy it. You'll see ones that were built in the 80's and early 90's and those houses are for "other" people (usually south of the border) because regular people wouldn't dare live in a house that old.

It was a really strange transition moving here, to say the least.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:42 PM

7 posts, read 18,784 times
Default Old house vs. new house:

We bought an older home in Bellevue (Somerset area) because we didn't want to deal with traffic from the plateau. We have a shorter drive, but the house is constantly needing something; roof, windows, drainage, plumbing, electrical, leaks, siding, .... it's endless. It's only 30 years old! Jeeze, 30 y/o in human years is still young, so I've starting to think of my house aging in "dog years"! I sometimes regret not buying a newer home. No matter how well built an older home is, it's going to have needs. If you can accept the chores of a weekend DYI'er or paying a contractor for the big ticket items when you can't, living closer to work always helps. Then again, having the weekends free to have fun are good too!

Old 07-24-2008, 05:34 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,707,654 times
We have an older house close in, and after 15 years I think everything has been replaced and fixed that needs it (crossing fingers). Older homes have so many surprise expenses unless you get one that's had regular, diligent maintenance.

For example, a spring broke on the garage door. A spring. Well, that type of garage door is no longer made, so we needed a whole new garage door. Hundreds of dollars.

It's something to factor into the cost of owning an older home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area