Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 03:06 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

'Mass exodus?

This is from Jason Rantz, who hosts a talk show 6-9 AM on KTTH, 770AM.

Just in the past week, 21 SPD officers have announced their departure.

Quote:
“I was being ordered to do less police work,” he explained. “They would tell me … not to look for problems. A lot of this comes from there’s more risk with officers being proactive. I got into the job to help people, to make a difference … being a reactionary police department to wait until I was alerted to a problem wasn’t doing Seattle justice.”
This feeling isn’t isolated. Multiple officers contacted for this piece have made similar claims.

There also seems to be unhappiness over bringing in a new chief from outside, rather than keeping Interim Chief Carmen Best, who evidently is popular among SPD officers. And frustration from perceived lack of support from several city council members, especially O'Brien and Sawant. Sawant is being sued for defamation because of her comments about the shooting of Che Taylor, who was shot by police when reaching for a gun.

I'm about as anti-cop as they come, but having high employee turnover, and/or working under-staffed, cannot be good news for any enterprise, whether it's a police force or a grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 03:28 PM

127 posts, read 107,328 times
Wow, interesting read and lots to consider. This jumped out to me:

“They’re getting in trouble for not turning cameras on fast enough,” Stuckey said. “You’re on the way to a call and you didn’t immediately turn on the camera. Yes, you helped [the victims]. But you didn’t do it fast enough so here’s two days off [as punishment]? That’s a question we have to ask ourselves: what does policing mean? Is a mistake misconduct for the police officers?”

I’m stunned that the progressive leaders haven’t called for the funding for these cameras to run 24hr a day. I mean, my security company will record ours for less than $30 a month, surely we can afford shift-long body cameras?!

Old 06-29-2018, 05:04 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
"Alexa - camera on"

Old 06-29-2018, 05:14 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
"Alexa - camera on"
I like it!

Old 06-29-2018, 07:47 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
The positions pay well, I'm sure they will find more officers.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:45 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,811 times
Considering the SPDs record I'd say good riddance.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:52 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBat View Post
Wow, interesting read and lots to consider. This jumped out to me:

“They’re getting in trouble for not turning cameras on fast enough,” Stuckey said. “You’re on the way to a call and you didn’t immediately turn on the camera. Yes, you helped [the victims]. But you didn’t do it fast enough so here’s two days off [as punishment]? That’s a question we have to ask ourselves: what does policing mean? Is a mistake misconduct for the police officers?”

I’m stunned that the progressive leaders haven’t called for the funding for these cameras to run 24hr a day. I mean, my security company will record ours for less than $30 a month, surely we can afford shift-long body cameras?!
I doubt that's an option. Three very obvious reasons come to mind:

1. Should they get filmed in the bathroom? Even if you think they should, we have privacy laws, and ethics should apply.

2. They shouldn't be filmed while off the job even if in uniform (getting dressed, lunch, etc.).

3. Filming their computer screens at the office would break confidentiality laws etc.

That's before you get to a bunch of equally-obvious logistical and technical issues.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:21 PM

127 posts, read 107,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I doubt that's an option. Three very obvious reasons come to mind:

1. Should they get filmed in the bathroom? Even if you think they should, we have privacy laws, and ethics should apply.

2. They shouldn't be filmed while off the job even if in uniform (getting dressed, lunch, etc.).

3. Filming their computer screens at the office would break confidentiality laws etc.

That's before you get to a bunch of equally-obvious logistical and technical issues.
I love that you’ve presented these as insurmountable obstacles And as though having a body camera capable of running for an entire shift somehow means it *couldn’t* be turned off. Turn it off in the bathroom. Have facial disruption when talking to (whomever). But if you’re sitting in your car or having a coffee or driving to a call your camera should be on. I can’t believe I’m spelling this out.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:17 PM

4,905 posts, read 2,057,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
The positions pay well, I'm sure they will find more officers.
Yeah, they will find new cops... That will be new cops and most of any department's problems come from newly hired officers since they haven't learned how to deal with difficult people without escalating the problem or have any real "street smarts" since most of them will have very little "real life" life experiences, outside of a college environment.

...So they end up quitting too... And they hire more new officers to fill their ranks and repeat the process.

Yes, the police are paid well, but not enough to be shot, killed, stressed out, divorced, face a public "trail by TV" or be sued for whatever.

Btw, if people have problems with their local police, why don't they step forward and become a police officer and lead by example in their communities?

Old 07-01-2018, 12:30 AM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBat View Post
I love that you’ve presented these as insurmountable obstacles And as though having a body camera capable of running for an entire shift somehow means it *couldn’t* be turned off. Turn it off in the bathroom. Have facial disruption when talking to (whomever). But if you’re sitting in your car or having a coffee or driving to a call your camera should be on. I can’t believe I’m spelling this out.
You didn't read clearly. Since when are we talking about "having a body camera capable of running for an entire shift"? I didn't reference that, as it's obviously easy to do. It wasn't in your post that I quoted.

How about slowing down and reading first?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: