Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2008, 09:25 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times

Advertisements

U.S. News and World Report Best High Schools Search for 2008 analyzed academic and enrollment data from 18,790 high schools throughout the U.S. and placed them in gold, silver and bronze medal categories.

Out of the 18,790 schools analyzed:
100 gold -- the top 1/2 of 1%
405 silver -- the next leading 2.15%
1,086 bronze -- the next leading 5.8%

Best schools in Seattle and King County (listed alphabetically by city):
Bellevue - International School [gold: #5 of 100]
Bellevue - Newport Senior High School [gold: #44 of 100
Issaquah - Issaquah High School [silver]
Kenmore - Inglemore High School [bronze]
Kirkland - International Community School [gold: #17 of 100]
Mercer Island - Mercer Island High School [silver]
Seattle - Garfield High School [silver]
Seattle - Roosevelt High School [silver]

The full report, all states:
Best High Schools Search - US News and World Report
or
America's Best High Schools - US News and World Report

The methodology:
The Ranking Formula - US News and World Report
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 09:05 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
International School

It is a good school. It's impossible to get into, from what I hear. I think you sign a pact with the devil or something.

Here's an article about it.
Didn't get into the school you chose? Here's why

Old 09-18-2008, 11:52 AM

Yeah... I have friends who live on Mercer Island, have a lot of financial and political clout, and didn't decide on a school until their daughter was all of 1. But they magically got her into the International School. Golly, wonder how... Actually, they are really lovely people, and I think part of the reason is because they live on M.I. But knowing who they know, I think another part was that they probably knew everyone who "mattered" in the school.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:21 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
Pardon my ignorance, but how does a private kindergarden deem who is "worthy" of attendance? Can you really predict future academic success at 4 years old?

Old 09-18-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but how does a private kindergarden deem who is "worthy" of attendance? Can you really predict future academic success at 4 years old?
Hi, SNY. Did I miss something? I don't understand the connection between your two questions and the previous posts. Help?
Maybe I'm not understanding, but I think "worthiness" is probably a matter of residence, observed behavior of the child, parents' ability to pay, maybe parents' involvement in the community, things like that. Or am I totally misunderstanding your question?

Old 09-18-2008, 03:15 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
International School

It is a good school. It's impossible to get into, from what I hear. I think you sign a pact with the devil or something.

Here's an article about it.
Didn't get into the school you chose? Here's why
I attended International School for 5 years. It is a good school, and you have to be picked in a lottery to get in.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:28 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Hi, SNY. Did I miss something? I don't understand the connection between your two questions and the previous posts. Help?
Maybe I'm not understanding, but I think "worthiness" is probably a matter of residence, observed behavior of the child, parents' ability to pay, maybe parents' involvement in the community, things like that. Or am I totally misunderstanding your question?
My question was more in response to the article posted, which was talking about private schools in a more general sense, not just high schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area