Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 08:35 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say hello from Houston since I post in here quite a bit... Ike was insane, and makes me even more ancy to move to Seattle!! I hope to never go through something like that again since it completely freaked me out. The coast is completely devastated on the Bolivar Peninsula east of Galveston, it is so sad... just completely wiped clean. Houston had it pretty bad, but at least we were (barely) on the west and clean side of the eyewall. I finally have power, but it's so sporadic. Almost everyone in Houston lost power, I think only 150,000 out of 2.6 million customers kept power. Anyway, I can provide more info or post pics if anyone is interested, I just don't want to drone on and bore anyone since this is the Seattle board, lol. At least now the weather is just like Seattle this week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 12:09 AM

132 posts, read 390,365 times
Default Wow

I am glad that you were safe during that huge disaster. I have family in Houston. They left for Florida for the hurricane. Did you evacuate? Sure I would be interested to see some pics, even though it will make me sad. I cant even imagine how people over there are feeling... my heart goes out to them.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:06 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,896 times
The images on TV are really sad. What a powerful storm. Glad you're OK.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:52 AM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times
Thanks for the replies. I did not evacuate since I'm in Houston proper and they told everyone to 'hunker down' and not clog the roadways so those in low-lying areas can get out. They didn't want a replay of what happened during Rita...

I left my place in uptown Houston since they were doing some renovation nearby and there was a lot of loose material, etc. that I was worried might blow out my windows. Also, my power goes out during thunderstorms, so figured it would probably go out early. I decided to go stay with a friend closer to downtown and the power didn't go out until around 3am when the eyewall came through. Last we saw on the news before the power went out was the eye just passed over downtown Galveston and they said the eye would pass over Houston at about 4am. However, it shifted a little east, so we were in the eyewall the whole time which was pretty scary. Then the power came back on at 6am which was a real surprise. I stayed with him until my power came on yesterday.

Anyway, given the devastation down at the coast, Houston fared better, but there is still a lot of damage, especially the further east you go. If someone can tell me how to post pics on here, i can post some of the ones I took around town...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area