Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 05:23 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I just moved to Seattle (as some of you know) and in the next 18 months I plan on buying a home. I love Seattle and have been enjoying myself immensely, but I do have one comment and hope someone can help enlighten me.

I have surely not seen every nook and cranny in Seattle - not even close. However, I have yet to find neighborhoods that suit my taste.

For example, I have been taken around to several places that have been highly recommended (and the price of homes are well over 300k) but the neighborhoods are far from stellar.

I come from a city where homes are very inexpensive and where buying a home with siding is blasphemy. I see so few brick homes in Seattle with lovely properties. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to live on Wisteria lane in the suburbs, I'm a city boy and like urban neighborhoods. Let me try and give you an example.

In Pittsburgh, where I came from, there are two particularly beautiful urban and affluent neighborhoods called Shadyside and Squirrel Hill. They are a stone's throw away from downtown and often have beautiful brick homes (some Victorian) and elegance with great landscaping.

For example, here are some pictures of the Squirrel Hill neighborhood in Pittsburgh. This is a mix of older streets and also new development. I am looking for brick homes that are very well kept in or very near Seattle proper or maybe even Bellevue. They don't have to be huge or extravagant. Thank you in advance, maybe I just haven't seen the right areas!

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by guylocke; 10-05-2008 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 06:13 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Brick buildings have a tendency to crack up and fall apart in earthquakes.
Siding is extremely practical, sensible and cost-effective in areas with a lot of continuous moisture in the forms of rain, showers, drizzle, mist and fog.
Every city has a different history of style, of outward development, and of building codes.
Perhaps if you prefer different construction and the current expression of different histories, you might want to consider a different city.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:24 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Brick homes are relatively rare in the Seattle area.

On top of what allforcats has already mentioned the Pacific Northwest is prime timber country...

If you really have your heart set on brick homes, you may want to try parts of Ballard...Loyal Heights, Crown Hill, and Blue Ridge.

The Bellevue area, being much newer than Seattle will have even fewer brick homes.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:34 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Beacon Hill has quite a few brick homes built in the 1950's. They're usually pretty nice.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Siding is extremely practical, sensible and cost-effective in areas with a lot of continuous moisture in the forms of rain, showers, drizzle, mist and fog.
Every city has a different history of style, of outward development, and of building codes.
Perhaps if you prefer different construction and the current expression of different histories, you might want to consider a different city.
I wasn't exactly criticizing, just stating some observations, but I now feel a need to respond. Siding also fades, dirties, molds, and gets brittle needing replaced while brick homes have for all intents and purposes zero maintenance after being built and last forever. Siding homes are usually somewhat less energy efficient, are built to a lesser standard of quality and water damage is actually far more common with siding than brick as water penetrates behind the panels and rots out the framework.

I am not convinced about the earthquake thing, although I admit I have no true knowledge on the matter. I do know California has a great plethora of brick homes and don't seem to be constructing mounds of siding homes in fear of earthquakes. I also know vinyl sidings burn and melt, something brick will not do, obviously.

Siding is much less expensive, that much is true initially. But in the long run, brick actually saves money after the initial investment.

Like I said, I am HARDLY criticizing Seattle and if it appears that I am, I apologize. I just grew up in a place where siding was avoided like the plague and brick homes were very much the norm. You can't blame me for not knowing any better and coming here to learn why and if I was missing anything. I simply find brick homes much more beautiful and suitable to me, but this isn't a life or death situation.

Quote:
If you really have our heart set on brick homes, you may want to try parts of Ballard...Loyal Heights, Crown Hill, and Blue Ridge.
Thank you! I will look into this. I don't have my heart set as such, obviously the Seattle housing market is much different than what I am used to, but I wanted to learn a bit more before making any decisions. Buying a home is a big deal. If it is truly simply a matter of safety regarding earthquakes, I can hardly blame the city for avoiding brick.

Last edited by guylocke; 10-05-2008 at 06:57 PM..

Old 10-05-2008, 06:51 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Brick comes from clay, which is a lot more abundant in the Mid-Atlantic and South soils than in the "new dirt" of the West Coast.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Brick comes from clay, which is a lot more abundant in the Mid-Atlantic and South soils than in the "new dirt" of the West Coast.
I see. Very interesting. I know building a brick house is much more expensive than building with siding. There is also a shortage of masons. Owning all brick homes as oppose to siding or partial-siding homes was also a sign of prestige and wealth, but that I am less concerned about, lol.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:33 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post

Thank you! I will look into this. I don't have my heart set as such, obviously the Seattle housing market is much different than what I am used to, but I wanted to learn a bit more before making any decisions. Buying a home is a big deal. If it is truly simply a matter of safety regarding earthquakes, I can hardly blame the city for avoiding brick.
You're welcome...

Another thing to look into when considering a brick home in the Seattle area is your insurance.

In the West, your premiums will generally be lower if you buy a solid frame structure, since it's more resistant to earthquakes...some companies also specifically exclude earthquake damage to brick homes here.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:50 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
One thing I noticed in Seattle, especially as a former agent, people who buy older homes with vinyl or aluminum siding rip it off the minute they get the keys. Most if not all of Seattle's older homes were not originally built with vinyl or aluminum siding. I remember one home a couple of doors down from me. It was built in 1915 and had hideous siding but when the new owners moved in it was ripped off. What's really interesting is the last time I was in northern New Jersey I notice a lot of aluminum siding, especially in Newark.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:02 PM

522 posts, read 2,626,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: