Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2008, 03:11 AM

27 posts, read 110,938 times

Advertisements

I saw my beautiful thread closed because people were being abusive and silly, and perhaps I was misunderstood..

I am in no way knocking Seattle, but I am asking for help in improving my life here. What do you love to do in Seattle? People mentioning parks, tell me where they are! If everyone would take the time to post one place that they like, or recommend I think it would help alot of newbs...

I think my real problem is that I haven't mastered the bus system, so I've been walking around, and that of course limits where I can go, but I can change. I can learn. Yes we can!!

ok. so.... for those of us with our days free... what's a good way to fill them up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 09:45 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
A good place to start Art & Rec from the city of Seattle's website. Personally, one of my favorite parks in the city is Discovery Park.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:02 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Hi. It's nice to see a positive post from you! Happy Sunday. Yes we can!

With your days free, a merry, relaxing, simple, and very inexpensive way to learn all of King County (which I did most weekends for a year when I first came to Seattle) is by taking Metro buses wherever they go. Why not walk to a bus stop and get on the next bus that comes along? Why not ride it to the end of the line and see the city or the countryside, then ride it back to where you started, or to anywhere along the route, or to downtown Seattle, or get off the bus and have lunch and discover whatever neighborhood that is? Or transfer to another bus and find out where that goes. Right behind the driver, take a folded paper schedule+route map of that route -- those paper dealies are called "schedules". There are usually other routes' schedules in that rack, usually for routes that connect with the one you're riding.

This is the Metro system map, and their website:
Metro Transit System Map (http://transit.metrokc.gov/tops/bus/psystem_map.html - broken link)
You can phone Metro for individualized help if you want to; phone number is on the website.
Schedules for each route are on the website, and also folded paper schedules are in racks in tons of places: post offices, libraries, RiteAid, Bartell's, banks, all shopping malls large or small, many office buildings, other retail outlets including department stores, plus Metro transit offices on the upper level of every stop in the downtown tunnel.

Have you Googled things to do in Seattle? Have you searched on City-Data's Seattle forum, or scrolled through the Seattle forum and read the many, many threads about things to do in Seattle or interesting tourist sites in Seattle? There's a ton of info on C-D and on the internet. Here's a start: http://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...ml#post3880705

Another of my faves is taking ferries, an inexpensive, unusual and fun thing to do. Official Washington State Ferries Homepage
From Seattle, here is the page describing Pier 50
Seattle Pier 50 Terminal
-- its address, and where the two ferries go which leave from that dock. Just click on the choices under "Ferry Routes From This Terminal". "Terminal Links" will tell you what Metro bus(es) to take to the pier.

A very special and very Pacific Northwest experience is Tillicum Village
Seattle Attraction | Tillicum Village & Tours | Seattle, Washington Daycation | One of Seattle's Top Attractions | Home of Seattle's World Famous Salmon
It's a 4-hour experience including a boat trip across Elliott Bay to Blake Island, a fun PNW Native American show, an absolutely fabulous salmon bake lunch which includes many other seafoods, and time to wander along the shoreline before the boat goes back to Seattle, all included in the price.

How about a Gray Line day tour to Mt. Rainier and back? Or around Seattle? Gray Line Seattle tours-Pacific Northwest sightseeing-vacations-charters

I'm sure you'll have fun stirring the nascent adventurer inside you! Enjoy!

Old 11-23-2008, 02:41 PM

478 posts, read 2,303,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarIsMyPimp View Post
I saw my beautiful thread closed because people were being abusive and silly, and perhaps I was misunderstood..

I am in no way knocking Seattle, but I am asking for help in improving my life here. What do you love to do in Seattle? People mentioning parks, tell me where they are! If everyone would take the time to post one place that they like, or recommend I think it would help alot of newbs...

I think my real problem is that I haven't mastered the bus system, so I've been walking around, and that of course limits where I can go, but I can change. I can learn. Yes we can!!

ok. so.... for those of us with our days free... what's a good way to fill them up?
I'd love to help, but since you are walking (or just learning the bus system), where are you coming from? Are you in Seattle proper, and if so, what neighborhood?

I have been here for years and have some thoughts, but it would help to know what the starting point is.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:04 PM

27 posts, read 110,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlitefromNC View Post
I'd love to help, but since you are walking (or just learning the bus system), where are you coming from? Are you in Seattle proper, and if so, what neighborhood?

I have been here for years and have some thoughts, but it would help to know what the starting point is.

Thanks Allforcats, I love Ferries, I used to ride the ones in New York for fun, loved it when a good rain storm hit us, brilliant... From all the tips i think I have alot of researching to do.

Well Seattlite, i am also from NC, and I live in First hill, very close to Capitol hill.. I'm like spitting distance from the swedish hospital and Seattle community college...

I had arthritis pretty bad in NC, but I am in very little pain here, and I think I'm feeling stir crazy because I have more energy and feel so much better, but I couldn't figure out what to do, and like I said, people are very very sweet, but private....

Any big New Year's celebrations? I must learn the bus systems immediately...

Old 11-23-2008, 08:54 PM

100 posts, read 306,700 times
I know it is pretty cool to park and walk the Ballard area. Good food ,shopping and bars. It is a cool thing to do!!! I have only done it once but had fun.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:33 AM

260 posts, read 926,167 times
Volunteer Park is one of my favorite places on Capitol Hill, there is the art museum there. Check out free activities at the community college. Performances and art shows at Cornish. Wander through Lakeview cemetery for a sense of history. St. Mark's use to have gregorian chant performances at noon. Dick's Drive in for French fries and milkshakes. The Deluxe Bar and Grill use to have the best hamburgers in town. Walk around and look at the old mansions. Have tea at the Blue Willow Teahouse. Check out the paranormal museum on Broadway. I'm glad to see the Harvard Exit is still around.. best place for Indie films.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:39 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,368 times
Quote:

take a break from this forum and check out this link, everything you'll need should be here....
Things to Do in Seattle, Washington

Personally, we enjoy Pike Place Market, numerous small shops in one historical location near the waterfront, and if you love the water views , jump on a Ferry for a short trip around the puget sound, bremerton, vashon Island, and so on.... The link has many items of interest...

later
vette-dude

Old 11-24-2008, 11:08 AM

339 posts, read 707,439 times
Quote:

Write a book. Get a job. Volunteer for a cause. Move somewhere that meets your criteria for having things to do.

mod cut:

Last edited by scirocco22; 11-26-2008 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: baiting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: