Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 10,221 times

Advertisements

Hello...I apologize if this is a repeat post...in the spring we are moving to Seattle...my husband will be working for a small firm in Bellevue, and I will most likely be a SAHM (stay at home mom) to our 1-yr old son. I've never been to Seattle, and unfortunately I'm not sure I'll get an opportunity to visit first. I'm looking for suggestions for a great family-friendly town/neighborhood. It would be nice to get to know other moms that like to socialize (in order to maintain my sanity), as well as have a variety of kid-friendly activities, really nice preschools, and not a horrible commute for my husband. I'm leaving some decades-long friends and their support...obviously that is a bit scary! The number of neighborhoods in Seattle is ginormous, so any specific suggestions that you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 02:54 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Are you looking to rent or to buy? What is your budget like? Are you thinking more suburban or urban?

Old 12-28-2008, 03:41 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,854,342 times
I highly recommend Issaquah, and particularly my neighborhood, Issaquah Highlands. Super family friendly, great schools, lots of parks, etc.

V. =)

Old 12-28-2008, 04:40 PM

We will probably rent first, if only to get a feel for things. Even though we are from NC, we live in the urban 'blue' section of downtown Raleigh...and while Raleigh isn't a huge metropolis or anything, it definitely has a different feel than the surrounding suburbs. However, I realize that in our budget (around $500), we may be limited to the 'burbs in Seattle. I've heard of Issaquah Highlands...I wonder if we could afford it?...will look into it! thx

Old 12-28-2008, 05:28 PM

145 posts, read 645,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jripp View Post
We will probably rent first, if only to get a feel for things. Even though we are from NC, we live in the urban 'blue' section of downtown Raleigh...and while Raleigh isn't a huge metropolis or anything, it definitely has a different feel than the surrounding suburbs. However, I realize that in our budget (around $500), we may be limited to the 'burbs in Seattle. I've heard of Issaquah Highlands...I wonder if we could afford it?...will look into it! thx

$500 per month?

Try here:
Apartments.com | Find Apartments for Rent, Houses, Condos and Townhomes | Rental Listings

I don't think you'll even find a studio in the worst parts of town at that price, but you can check that out. A quick look shows only Tacoma has ones in that range. That will be an epic journey for your husband to drive to Bellevue every day from Tacoma, though.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:45 PM

Hmmm...I should clarify! $500,000-$600,000 for purchasing a house! (Not $500/month for rent). Does that change anything?

Old 12-28-2008, 06:49 PM

500K will easily get you a townhouse in the Bellevue area. I am not sure on single family homes though because I am not familiar enough with things on that side of the lake. In my neighborhood (in the Wedgwood neighborhood of Seattle) you can find a modest, older three bedroom for that price. Wedgwood is very family friendly as far as in city neighborhoods go.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jripp View Post
Hmmm...I should clarify! $500,000-$600,000 for purchasing a house! (Not $500/month for rent). Does that change anything?

Oh yeah! I had a migraine the size of a volvo at the time of my last writing, so I didn't even realize you were talking about mortgages; I thought you were talking about monthly rents.

I've seen some homes (not condos, not townhomes) in the Bellevue/Redmond/Newcastle/etc area for 450-ish, but far more were higher than that. You might consider Kirkland as well, which is a pretty decent area.

Unless you are getting some goodies with your HOA, I would stay far away from any townhome. They will charge you $200-350 for HOA fees, which I think is a rip off. Add your $250 HOA with your $250 monthly taxes and you'll be getting stiffed even after you pay off your loan.

mod cut:

Last edited by scirocco22; 12-28-2008 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: please do not link specific listings on the board. Thanks.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames34 View Post
Oh yeah! I had a migraine the size of a volvo at the time of my last writing, so I didn't even realize you were talking about mortgages; I thought you were talking about monthly rents.

I've seen some homes (not condos, not townhomes) in the Bellevue/Redmond/Newcastle/etc area for 450-ish, but far more were higher than that. You might consider Kirkland as well, which is a pretty decent area.

Unless you are getting some goodies with your HOA, I would stay far away from any townhome. They will charge you $200-350 for HOA fees, which I think is a rip off. Add your $250 HOA with your $250 monthly taxes and you'll be getting stiffed even after you pay off your loan.

mod cut:
The link is to a townhome with an HOA fee. Did you mean for that to be?

Last edited by scirocco22; 12-28-2008 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: quote edited

Old 12-28-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
The link is to a townhome with an HOA fee. Did you mean for that to be?

Whew, had me sweating there for a minute. My migraine is gone, so I don't have any more lame excuses....

It's says it's a single family house on top and appears to be, though I do see (now i do) where it says townhome. The HOA isn't too much and there's actually a clubhouse, but I was really just trying to show a house near Bellevue in that price range and of course provide a new potentially new resource in the craigslist.com link.

edit: well, I guess we're not supposed to post specific listings of houses, or whatever...so nevermind.

mod cut:

Last edited by JesseJames34; 12-28-2008 at 11:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area