Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 07:27 PM

7 posts, read 50,832 times

Advertisements

My family and I are potentially moving to the Redmond/Sammamish/Issaquah area for my husband's work. We have never lived anywhere near Washington--we've been in the Dallas, TX area for the last 12 years. My husband has visited once and thinks the area is gorgeous, but I have never seen it. We would love any info about the area, schools (we have two kids in elementary), hospitals and doctors of choice (I am currently pregnant), basically everything! We have no family or friends in the area, so everything you can share would be great, right down to the best places to eat and how you deal with all the rain (Texas doesn't get much!)! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2006, 01:34 AM

331 posts, read 2,110,447 times
Hi Photogirl... I am in Sammamish and I love it!!! I have been here for about 7 months and really feel I made the right choice in this area.

The schools are awesome! In Sammamish we are in the Lake WA school district which has an awesome rep and second to that is the Issaquah School district. You can't go wrong with either one.

I have a friend who will be moving to the North Bend area from Texas with in the next few months. That is about 20 east of Issaquah. She has young kids too. I am sure you will lots of friends up here. People in general are so kind!

What would you like to know about it here other than it is one of the most beautiful places you have ever seen?

Old 01-19-2006, 01:36 PM

35 posts, read 118,235 times
Be prepared for ticket shock. The average income up and down Redmond, Sammamish, and Issaquah are approximnately $100,000 per year per person but houses are bookoo bucks. Redmond's a nice well rounded suburb. You won't be far from Bellevue the center of the Eastside (the common terminology for east suburbs of Seattle). Think of Bellevue as Seattle's version of Plano. Redmond however is a place where everything is high tech this and high techthat. Everyone works in the tech industry here. Think Richardson. All you hear about in Redmond is tech. And you'll be keeping up with the Jones' in buying all the high tech stuff too. And we're not talking the latest DVD player. These are early adopters here. They buy things the rest of the country hasn't even heard about yet. Redmond has a mediocre downtown albeit most suburbs don't even have a downtown. The focal point of Redmond's downtown is redmond Town Centre. Sort of a shopping and dining plaza. And I say plaza because it's not technically a mall. The retail industry calls it more of a lifestyle center than a mall. Schools here are top notch. In Sammamish, you're living sort of a rural lifestyle than a suburban lifestyle but eventually it'll become all suburban. Lots and lots of coniferous (Christmas trees) trees. You're firmly removed from everything in the Seattle area because of two major natural roadblocks you don't face in Dallas. Water and hills. And when I say hills I don't mean something you can walk up and down without breaking a sweat. people here hike these hills that take half a day if you'r ein good shape. Everyone and I mean everyone here are thin. There's virtually no fat people in Seattle. Everyone here eats healthy. Mostly seafood and Oriental Asian along with some vegetarians. You'll be without your barbeque and Tex Mex. If you want to live on a lake however, Sammamsih is a good place for that since it sits on the town's namesake lake, Lake Sammamish. Schools here are just as good. Lastly is Issaquah. Issaquah has an enviable location. Overlooking Lake Sammamish and nestled within hills (remember big) all around. The town was settled for loggers but that industry doesn't exist here anymore. Instead, there's a little mining. But Issaquah is quickly becoming a diversified economy with lots of offices for virtually every industry. Interstate 90 runs right through town with easy access to both the Cascade Mountains and downtown Seattle both in opposite directions. I believe home prices are highest here because of all the fine elements of living here. Schools are just as good as the previous 2 towns. If I had to pick a place it'd be Issaquah. But land here isn't as plentiful because of allt he natural barriers so you'll be paying higher than in Redmond or Sammamish. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2006, 12:41 AM

Hey, thanks for the Dallas area comparisons. It does help. So no good places for tex-mex or barbeque? Man, I need to learn to cook fast....
So, people there are thin, but are they tan? 'Cause I'm kinda hoping that, what with the cooler climate, my pasty white skin won't stand out as much...

Old 01-22-2006, 08:35 AM

no desert tans up here!!! That's for sure, however I do know of a place that has pretty good pulled bbq pork! Still looking for good mexican food. Found one that will pass but still not Authentic Mexican. As for the Tex-Mex... not too sure how that differes from Authentic Mexican, so not sure about that.

Old 01-23-2006, 09:05 AM

Yummm, pulled pork.....(Although bbq here means beef, but I'm from Indiana, originally, so that works for me)
Think more flour tortillas than corn and you'll have the major difference between authentic and tex-mex.

Old 02-12-2006, 08:23 AM

110 posts, read 689,560 times
Northwesterners love their Mexican/Tex Mex and it does exist in the NW - although not as plentiful as Texas - but where else does it?

It's not so much the rain that bothered me when I lived there - it was the grey. But on a sunny day, there is no place more beautiful.

We're in Florida now considering whether to transfer to Dallas or Seattle. Miss a lot of the Northwest bounty/culture since I'm a native west coaster but also know that the grey skies depress me and wondering how I'd feel in Dallas.

Been reading these forums for several of the states and nobody raves about their state like this one does. That is very encouraging. I just wish I could get over the SAD.

Old 02-12-2006, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richkat
Northwesterners love their Mexican/Tex Mex and it does exist in the NW - although not as plentiful as Texas - but where else does it?

It's not so much the rain that bothered me when I lived there - it was the grey. But on a sunny day, there is no place more beautiful.

We're in Florida now considering whether to transfer to Dallas or Seattle. Miss a lot of the Northwest bounty/culture since I'm a native west coaster but also know that the grey skies depress me and wondering how I'd feel in Dallas.

Been reading these forums for several of the states and nobody raves about their state like this one does. That is very encouraging. I just wish I could get over the SAD.
you are right about there being no place more beautiful when the sun is shinning! We just drove past Lake Sammamish and the sun glistening off the water between the trees was breathtaking. It has been sunny for about a week now and just awesome. We are looking at another week of it too!!!

Not to say Texas doesn't have it's beauty but I would do a trip before I decided. Nothing like up here! As for the SAD.. Can't you use those sun type lights in your house? I know a guy who uses them in his office and says it helps so very much. So far no problem with that here. I love those overcast rainy days! But then it is still fairly new to me.

Old 02-13-2006, 06:37 AM

110 posts, read 689,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compltlyme
you are right about there being no place more beautiful when the sun is shinning! We just drove past Lake Sammamish and the sun glistening off the water between the trees was breathtaking. It has been sunny for about a week now and just awesome. We are looking at another week of it too!!!
You sure are tempting me to give it a try. We might be able to do Seattle because it's on the water and water reflects light. Portland has a much lower brightness factor so just because the grey was too much for me there, maybe Seattle would work.

Thanks for the comparison to Dallas. I've visited several times but never lived there and I'm just not sure I could live without the ocean - the Gulf several hours away just wouldn't be the same.

-- K

Old 02-13-2006, 09:28 PM

Well do keep us posted on what you decide! It has been beautiful. Got some rain today but expecting more sunshine in the days to come!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area