Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 9,263 times

Advertisements

So I am moving from southern california to bellevue/kirkland area in early september. Ill be going to bellevue college and working. my only real concern is meeting people. ive heard of the "seattle freeze". my questions are...

1.) what are some great ways to meet people my age 21-26 in the area?

2.) What are some fun things/hobbies to do up in that area?

3.) How far is snoqualamie pass/ski resorts from the bellevue area?

and any other helpful tips for the move and meeting people would be wonderful. or any suggestions about things to do downtown. thank you guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 03:14 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,844,534 times
Snoqualmie Pass is probably 40 minutes (I remember that SoCal folks generally measured distance in this way ) away from the middle of Bellevue, on I-90.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:55 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiscloudaffect View Post
So I am moving from southern california to bellevue/kirkland area in early september. Ill be going to bellevue college and working. my only real concern is meeting people. ive heard of the "seattle freeze". my questions are...

1.) what are some great ways to meet people my age 21-26 in the area?

2.) What are some fun things/hobbies to do up in that area?

3.) How far is snoqualamie pass/ski resorts from the bellevue area?

and any other helpful tips for the move and meeting people would be wonderful. or any suggestions about things to do downtown. thank you guys!

1) Some great ways: get involved in politics, but not too involved. You will meet a ton of people that way, and to your leanings. Also, I got involved with BEAN, a local young professional organization that's mostly Boeing and Microsoft people, but still, you get to meet a lot of cool people and get involved, sometimes with the elite of Seattle (attended two high-profile fundraisers).

I actually met my wife through politics.

I've heard other people meeting people through sports clubs, wine tasting clubs, etc. Basically, meeting people out here is pretty formal, but once you break the ice, it's easy going.

2) Hobbies ... take your pic. Sailing, rowing, hiking, bicycle riding (HUGE following here), white water rafting, mountaineering, forestry, camping, car cruising, arts appreciation, theatre, architecture, wine appreciation, coffee appreciation, ... .

Seattle may seem at first like a small two-bit town, especially to people from heavily populated areas like SoCal (I am from Chicago, I sorta felt this way too), but it is not hard to find things to do. It's just people won't go out to find you, you have to take the initiative. The people are generally loving this town and its culture, so just come here with an open mind and you'll be fine.

3) Snoqualmie pass is about 30-40 min drive from Bellevue, not in rush hour traffic.

Seattle is much smaller in terms of distances. But sometimes traffic can be a bear.

First time downtown, go to Pike Place market to get that "Seattle in a 3 block area" feel, then explore outward. It will take time, so give some time to appreciate it and take it in.

Also, go to Alki, especially on a day like today. I will ... sitting in the sun on the beach.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:26 PM

56 posts, read 204,010 times
I just moved up here from LB last year.
Don't really miss Cali at all. This whole seattle grey isn't as bad as people say.
Go to downtown Kirkland to meet people, it's a college bar scene, but it's pretty nice, if you're into that.

Get prepared for people to make fun of you for saying "the" in front of a freeway name. Ie, the 90 the 520 the 5. I still do it and I feel weird saying it now, but whenever I go visit family in Cali it comes right back out.

Snoqualmie pass is awesome. I took up snowboarding this past winter (never tried it in Big Bear)
I figured with all the cold weather it would be best to have a good winter hobby.
I even bought a season lift pass for this upcoming winter.
It's not that far at all. About 45 minutes if you're a CA driver or 60 minutes if you are a WA driver.
you'll see what I mean when you get here and drive on the freeways.

you probably want to get a bike, you'll see people riding bikes to work year round. Not saying i lived a sheltered life, but only time I rode a bike to work was when I was too young to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area