Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 12:13 PM

21 posts, read 69,679 times

Advertisements

I have some family that will be visiting me in a few months and they are bringing their 3 kids ages 6 mos to 8. I was wondering what there is to do around the Seattle area with kids? If its raining? Sunny? Does anyone know of museums that kids would like? Or any outdoor things, if it happens to not be raining? Family friendly restaurants?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 12:24 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,274 times
Seattle waterfront and downtown has enough stuff to make for a really nice day trip or two. Waterfront Aquarium (kids love it), waterfront fish n chips, lots of other family friendly restaurants, Pike Place Market...a free waterfront bus that will zip you to Pioneer Square where you can relax at Elliot Bay books, if you're into books. It could be an action packed day, or really relaxed- the waterfront activities are nice like that. If you have some umbrellas and cover up the lil ones, it should be a go for a rainy day too. Ferry ride to Bainbridge or one of the other island could be a lot of fun too for everyone.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:29 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,703,067 times
The Woodland Park Zoo is probably one of the best zoos I've been to

Old 09-10-2009, 01:10 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,268,966 times
There are lots of great waterfront parks, even when it's raining we would go, just wear a rain coat and rubber boots. Low tide is a good time for tidepool exploring.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:14 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,844,534 times
There is the Children's Museum:

Preserving Play | The Children's Museum, Seattle

Old 09-10-2009, 06:31 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,758 times
Seattle Center has a lot for kids- Pacific Science Center, indoor arcade and some rides. On the waterfront their is also an arcade and a few indoor rides like a carrosel(sic) but I cannot remember the pier number. Anyway it is not far from the Seattle Aquarium which is a great place to take kids.

Ditto on Pikes Place Market.

Last edited by shoegal111; 09-10-2009 at 07:11 PM..

Old 09-10-2009, 07:07 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
There is the Children's Museum:

Preserving Play | The Children's Museum, Seattle
The eight year old might be a little too old for the Children's Museum. I second the Woodland park zoo (if it's not miserable out) and the Pacific Science Center (if it is).

Old 09-10-2009, 08:05 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,705 times
There's a tourist pack you can get that includes a bunch of activities like the zoo, EMP, Pacific Science Center, etc. I think it's $50 for 3 days. You get to do 5 or 6 things including a harbor cruise.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:17 AM

42 posts, read 231,085 times
So many good things to do in Seattle with kids. I have elementary school kids and we were just there a month ago. Here are some of the things we did:

- Seattle Center: there is a amusement park for kids of all ages right around the Space Needle. There are indoor rides, outdoor rides and kiddie rides as well.

- Adjacent to Seattle Center are several great attractions that my kids love: The Children's Museum, a foodcourt, Pacific Science Center, the Space Needle itself and the Duck Tour. Those attractions alone can keep you busy for 2-3 days. ESP had a Muppet exhibition when we were there and my kids got a chance to be pupeteers. There is also an INCREDIBLE water fountain at the basin of the park--there is music and the water flow is arranged to several types of tunes. On warm days (and even on cold days) the kids love to get wet.

- The Woodland Zoo is fantastic!

- Harbor Steps & Aquarium. We actually skipped the aquarium this time but had fun just walking around the water. Inside one of the peers there is a giant ferris wheel and games for all ages. Restaurants, shops etc. There is even a petrified mummy inside the Old Curiosity Shoppe.

- Beach Parks--around Alki Beach but also on the Eastside, there are many types of beach parks with trails and picnic areas. When we lived in Seattle, we visited Coulon Park and Newcastle Beach park often but there are many, many others with playground equipment, beach access, trails for biking, and laws for picnics.

- The Library Downtown is AMAZING. There is a special area for kids that we loved.

Best of luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area