Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,951 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a Software Engineer and my wife is an Optometrist. We are planning to move to Seattle area to settle down. We are looking for an up and coming neighborhood that is close enough commute to the hi-tech areas/Seattle downtown for my job and still has good schools (even though our baby will not need one for few more years). My wife will open her business so a town which does not have too many optometrists is a plus. We are flying down for a weekend in couple of weeks to visit some places. I am looking for some help in narrowing down our choices. We want to rent for few months before buying a house in the same general vicinity. Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
Ik.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 11:11 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
I think that the up and coming areas tend to be a little further away from the high tech employment areas like Bellevue or Redmond. There are some really nice areas within commuting distance, but the up and coming areas tend to be south of downtown Seattle.
Nearer Bellevue/Redmond: Issaquah, Newcastle and Kirkland are nice, but could not really be described as up and coming. Lynnwood is north and improving.
South of downtown Seattle, Renton is up and coming, though the schools have a way to go before they could really be considered good, although some of them are good.
Burien is also south and has a kind of charming and artsy downtown known as Old Burien, nice parks, great views...

Old 11-22-2009, 11:26 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,854,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I think that the up and coming areas tend to be a little further away from the high tech employment areas like Bellevue or Redmond. There are some really nice areas within commuting distance, but the up and coming areas tend to be south of downtown Seattle.
Nearer Bellevue/Redmond: Issaquah, Newcastle and Kirkland are nice, but could not really be described as up and coming. Lynnwood is north and improving.
South of downtown Seattle, Renton is up and coming, though the schools have a way to go before they could really be considered good, although some of them are good.
Burien is also south and has a kind of charming and artsy downtown known as Old Burien, nice parks, great views...
Unfortunately the schools in Burien are not good at all.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:29 AM

In a place like Detroit or Clevelamd, there are block after block of dangerous neighborhoods, and all of the schools have problems. In a place like Redmond or Bellevue, you'd be hard pressed to find a bad neighborhood at all, and all the schools are good.
In places like Renton or Burien, there are some great neighborhoods and also less than desirable neighborhoods, though nothing on the order of Detroit, and there are some schools with problems, but there are also some great ones. I think of Renton and Burien as up and coming, and it's not an instant process. The first step in the evolution seems to be the discovery of the places by childless artists and hipsters. We're there now. By the same token both of these school districts have had a few schools that have been very good for a long time. Marvista and Des Moines elementary in the Highline ( Burien) district, and Hazelwood, among others, in Renton are examples of schools that have maintained consistent quality.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:55 AM

204 posts, read 813,965 times
is the optometry business best where there are old people? If so, you might try the areas all around the University of Washington. Just seems like that is a place with a lot of hospitals, people around for medical care, and high population of young and old. The Arboretum area, head out Madison Ave, a few miles (or less) east of Broadway. Optometrist Heaven?

Old 11-23-2009, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,951 times
Ira500 - Thanks for your feedback. If I forget about the up and coming portion, what are some good places to check out in couple of days? Even though I am in Hi tech, my target companies are Financial Companies which are typically concentrated in downtown areas. Is that the same case in Seattle as well or does Bellevue/Redmond area has lot of them as well? How is commute from Kirkland, NewCastle and Issaqquah to Seattle downtown and to Bellevue/Redmond areas? On the map Issaqquah looks too far from downtown. Other than driving are there otherr commute options available from those areas (preferably trains).

Long Dawson - Not sure about the demographics but since folks in Seattle are highly educated I am assuming they generally have good diets with lot of fish and fresh produce resulting in healthy population. On the other hand high tech industry may be causing lot of eye sight problems. But it will be interesting to know that kind of information. Are there any local websites that provide the percapita number of hospitals, medical professionals etc in each town/area?

Appreciate your feedback.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:03 PM

Issaquah might be a little further in miles but it's a straight shot on I-90, and has excellent bus service to both downtown Seattle and to Bellevue. Downtown Bellevue as well as downtown Seattle have financial companies and are the biggest employmemt centers outside of Boeing and Microsoft.
Kirkland and Issaquah aren't bad commutes to either Seattle or Bellevue. Newcastle is a little more difficult to get to downtown Seattle, easier to Belllevue. The only trains to downtown Seattle are from the north and the south. If you work in downtown Seattle, you can take a lovely and fairly quick train ride on the Sounder commuter train from Edmonds, a very nice place. There's no train service to Bellevue, but there is express bus service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area