Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,017 times

Advertisements

First off, just want to say hello to everyone here on the forums. My name is James and I've lived in various parts of WA including the Puget Sound (Orcas), Olympia, but most of the time in Anacortes, but I honestly have spent VERY little time in Seattle. For the past 2 years I have been here in Panama working with some family for the experience. While it's an experience and has it's pro's...I just miss the NW and am ready to move back, and plan to in early April of 2010.

I have been searching on Craigslist for 2 bedroom apartments (I have a roommate situation planned already), and it seems like the closest I can get to Seattle for under $1,000 is Northgate. The 2 bedrooms I have seen in the downtown area don't look very nice or are very small. I plan on using public transportation also.

Is Northgate where my realistic focus should be for apartments if I am working downtown?

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 12:40 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
You might want to consider Beacon Hill, Columbia City, Georgetown, Bryn Mawr,parts of Skyway,Lake City,and parts of downtown Renton or Burien are maybe just a little further than Northgate.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:39 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
You could also consider Seatac, Tukwila (use the light rail to get to downtown)

Old 12-15-2009, 02:41 PM

159 posts, read 626,253 times
Northgate is fine. I lived there (Pinehurst) and I'd do it again. With the transit center right next to the mall, you would have no trouble getting downtown; bus #41 goes from Northgate to downtown and back all day, every day.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,017 times
Great, thanks everyone for your replies...I'll check into those other areas Ira. UnusualSuspect, thanks for giving Northgate some positive feedback now I don't feel sketchy about that place.

Another question- Since I won't have a job the day that I step foot in Seattle, will this affect my ability to lease an apartment? Does anyone have experience with something like this? I could pay for a few months of the lease in advance if that would help, but I would rather not put that kind of a dent into my savings that quickly. Any advice? Again, thanks in advance!

Old 12-16-2009, 09:01 AM

368 posts, read 695,732 times
Check out West Seattle. We're the forgotten neighborhood because we're across the bay.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:27 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -james. View Post
Great, thanks everyone for your replies...I'll check into those other areas Ira. UnusualSuspect, thanks for giving Northgate some positive feedback now I don't feel sketchy about that place.

Another question- Since I won't have a job the day that I step foot in Seattle, will this affect my ability to lease an apartment? Does anyone have experience with something like this? I could pay for a few months of the lease in advance if that would help, but I would rather not put that kind of a dent into my savings that quickly. Any advice? Again, thanks in advance!
That's something you'll have to consult with the Leasing office-- I would think outside of Seattle DT they would be a little more lenient. Its not like Las Vegas, where if you don't have a job they expect triple the deposit.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:39 AM

51 posts, read 149,202 times
I'm actually about to move to Seattle in the next 6 months and I have already done research on several apartments. And previously I was running into the same problem, I was going to be unemployeed but have enough money saved up to live there for several months if not the entire year. Though now I now longer have that problem. But anywho, I asked them can I just prove I have the dough through my financial statements and bank statements that I can take care of rent. And the answers were yes. At worst they may make you pay for a few months at a time (i guess this way they have there as.sses covered and have enough time to kick you out and get someone else in).

Old 12-23-2009, 05:41 PM

807 posts, read 2,258,559 times
JAMES! Whats up, man?Beacon Hill, Columbia City, Georgetown. I forgot those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area