Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 11:26 AM

55 posts, read 273,215 times

Advertisements

We might move to WA by end of June, since i know that Mercer Island has one of the best School district in state, we would like to move there...basically i am looking for Elementry school and my question is school enrollment is according to residenc's address or not ? so do i need to do any early registration for saving the spot for my kid or according to home address (Mercer Island) the school has to register her in the same district i am living in?
I will appriciate any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 11:39 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,268,448 times
Here's a school district link that might help.

Welcome New Families (http://www.misd.k12.wa.us/parentsfamilies/newfamilies.html - broken link)

Old 03-03-2010, 11:39 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
M.I. school district has it's own website and here they have a introduction to "new families": Welcome New Families (http://www.misd.k12.wa.us/parentsfamilies/newfamilies.html - broken link)

There are 3 M.I. elementary schools within the school district. Its always better to go to the one closest to you, but if you like the other ones, you can deal with the SD about that.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:43 PM

Thank you for great informations, i will be looking at these websites...

Old 03-03-2010, 11:05 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
I don't believe you have to live on MI to attend MI schools. I understand they have an open enrollment policy. Has anyone else heard this or experienced it? MI is one of the most expensive communities in the Seattle area so maybe less affordable to families with younger kids??

Also, check out the Washington State Report Card website...excellent school districts are also found in Bainbridge Island, Bellevue, Issaquah and Lake Washington. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2010, 11:06 PM

Oops...looks like there is no open enrollment at MI anymore...

No open enrollment next year at MISD - Mercer Island Reporter

Old 03-04-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
Oops...looks like there is no open enrollment at MI anymore...

No open enrollment next year at MISD - Mercer Island Reporter
Thank you for the link, so does it mean even if i am a residence of MI, i wont get spot in this district? that's so sad

Old 03-04-2010, 09:37 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh View Post
Thank you for the link, so does it mean even if i am a residence of MI, i wont get spot in this district? that's so sad
That's not how I read the article. They're just going to keep non residents from enrolling their kids in Mercer Island schools. If you're a resident of Mercer Island, they can't keep your child from attending Mercer Island schools. They are, after all, public schools.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:56 PM

No, if you live on MI, you go to MI schools. I was just trying to offer up that in the past MI has had open enrollment allowing non MI kids to matriculate. So you could live somewhere less expensive and still have your kids in MI schools. But it's not an option anymore and if you can afford MI, go for it.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:05 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Yes, they did away with the "open enrollment" policy of the M.I. school district because people who pay minimum $12,000 a year in property taxes were getting upset that their kids could attend classes with people whose taxes didn't even go to supporting the schools. Fair enough in my book ... they are public schools, after all.

Nevermind that plenty of young couples start out (and some stay) renting or owning condos on M.I. and their kids still get that benefit. That's what I would do if I were you (unless you can afford the mean home value of $1.2 million on M.I.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area