Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 07:19 AM

146 posts, read 223,543 times

Advertisements

I have gotten into the habit of following most of the major news outlets in the area and it seems that this is a big story for Seattle and the surrounding residential areas...

Local News | Garbage haulers slam company's 'final' offer | Seattle Times Newspaper

Now if you think about the numbers here, a prolonged delay in service could literally turn your sidewalk into a veritable garbage dump. The article states that the strike would affect over 120,000 homes in the King & Snohomish county areas and some Seattle businesses. Now I don't know how familiar you are with the results of even a week long trash haulers strike but this paints a very ugly picture, or video footage. Which you can see for yourself if you go to youtube and search trash or garbage strike.

I really hope this strike is avoided because it would really realllly suck to move out there for the fresh ocean air and end up smelling and seeing piles of garbage on the corners that are taller than myself.

What do you locals think about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 10:51 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
There was a big ad in the Times today begging the employees to accept the offer. Basically it said, you guys are kinda lucky to have a job right now, and look, we're even giving you a raise.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:16 PM

292 posts, read 1,448,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keroppininja View Post
I have gotten into the habit of following most of the major news outlets in the area and it seems that this is a big story for Seattle and the surrounding residential areas...

Local News | Garbage haulers slam company's 'final' offer | Seattle Times Newspaper

I really hope this strike is avoided because it would really realllly suck to move out there for the fresh ocean air and end up smelling and seeing piles of garbage on the corners that are taller than myself.

What do you locals think about this?
For one, the strike won't last forever. Better it might happen in April and not August.

For two, I don't really notice fresh ocean air around town when there isn't a garbage strike. But maybe I'm immune because I'm local.

If there is a stike, I'll probably haul my own trash to the transfer station. It would be tough for businesses, though. But, it's happend in other places before, we'll get by.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:38 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Puget Sound's Waste Management gears up for possible strike.

Fresh ocean air? Hehehehehe. I like that.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:02 PM

260 posts, read 757,805 times
I think it was ridiculous, they make 70,000 dollars a year, and with benefits, its over 100,000 dollars. There are people who went to 8 years of college that would kill for that kind of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: