Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 04:06 AM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnor1713 View Post
In the San Francisco bay area. You will not get a unskilled job at a target ,walmart or any fastfood here if you are caucasian.
Where did you get that idea? I live in San Francisco, and see plenty of Caucasian workers at those places... in fact, I went to McDonald's last night and saw an older White man working the fryers (the guy who took my order was Black - super cute too, LOL). Caucasians may not be the majority of their workers, but they're not really the majority of our population either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 08:59 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,047 times
Perhaps I am too jaded.

I have met many a man like the OP in recent years. It's not "hard times," it's the inability to bother getting a job and keeping it. It's priorities. It's freeloading. It's all manner of things but it is NOT inability to find some sort of work. Ski bum/bike bum/general bum, it's not as easy anymore to do the bare minimum.

For the record, I'm very liberal. Just sick of freeloading losers.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,081 times
I am looking for a couple guys to help around my small little farm in West Virginia. I would like to get things done where I could help more homeless people. I am certainly not rich, but do have the property to help folks out some. Could even help them get and back and forth to a job. It would just take all of us here to work together and we could all have a good life. Please contact me towimer@yahoo

Very willing to hear others points of interest and concerns. All input appreciated.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:19 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvhomesteader View Post
I am looking for a couple guys to help around my small little farm in West Virginia. I would like to get things done where I could help more homeless people. I am certainly not rich, but do have the property to help folks out some. Could even help them get and back and forth to a job. It would just take all of us here to work together and we could all have a good life. Please contact me towimer@yahoo

Very willing to hear others points of interest and concerns. All input appreciated.

That's cool. I am in a like to situation, where rent in part is traded for labor in a rural farm like setting. I get paid well for some jobs as well. Give n take works good for some folks.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:03 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvhomesteader View Post

Be very careful.

You need to be concerned about both financial and physical safety. There are a number of people who regularly work the internet as well as telephone chat lines to defraud good hearted people. Do not wire someone money to come to your place. That's a common swindle. City-data dumps these people, but they're always trying to sneak through. I'm sure that there are local people whom you can meet, perhaps investigate, and form your own opinions.

Many years ago, Mother Earth News had a section in their classified ads for people who were interested in rural living to connect to each other. One man met a couple this way and invited them to move to his farm. They did; a short time later they robbed and murdered him. To their lasting credit, Mother Earth News did not try to hide this, or even ignore it. They publicized it, warning their readers about the danger. Needless to say, they no longer allowed these ads.

The world is filled with predatory people. Be very careful in allowing people into your home. The pathetic and attractive girl whom you are sure will come to love you may have a boyfriend outside waiting for you to go to sleep.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:53 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Wize advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness