Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 12:33 PM

373 posts, read 635,388 times

Advertisements

It is really annoying to read about the FDA working so hard to put the raw milk vendors out of business.

Spending taxpayer money, and harming honest business people selling a healthy product.

But from a survivalist viewpoint: In generations past many people had a milk cow even on large city lots. Goats are also and option and very hardy.

Raw milk looks like a product alot of people might just want to get into producing if the economy gets slower. It does taste really good and is more healthy.

Does this scare big biz and big government? Once someone leads a healthy life the need for big medical care goes way down. When incomes become more resilent opinions start to flourish.

Outside the land of free and the home of the brave and in Western Europe people are largely free to feed themselves anyway they see fit.

The danger of pathogens seems really overdrawn, just watch a film on factory food in the USA, or even worse in the 3rd world were much of out food now comes from. We are no a net importing food nation. It does not have to be that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 12:48 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I'm not big on drinking raw milk (I have a gag reflex to any milk except super ice-cold skim milk that's pasteurized ) but I'm very into raw milk cheeses.

I used to love this really great raw cow's milk blue cheese made on a farm near where I work, but the People's Republic of NJ made them stop selling the cheese, because it could only be aged within a certain "window" of time. Before and after that window, the cheese is illegal. I've been known to partake in other "illegal cheese" that the FDA and USDA don't want us to have.

It's not about actual safety or health risks but about government gaining more and more control over our food supply.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:06 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Local guy here does goats and is spilling his milk, as the feds are about. His buyers are freaking out as they don't do factory milks.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:21 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Ridiculous nanny-state BS.

If there are people who want to sell raw milk and people who want to buy raw milk, and it's not a mind-altering drug, the government should stay the heck out of the way.

I should be able to drink milk straight out of a goat's teet if I want to!

Old 08-26-2011, 02:26 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
The feds get into raw shell fish too. I don't go for raw milk or any milk really, but I love oysters on the 1/2 shell and cohog clams. These will gag most mid-westerners bad

Old 08-27-2011, 09:46 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'm not big on drinking raw milk (I have a gag reflex to any milk except super ice-cold skim milk that's pasteurized ) but I'm very into raw milk cheeses.

I used to love this really great raw cow's milk blue cheese made on a farm near where I work, but the People's Republic of NJ made them stop selling the cheese, because it could only be aged within a certain "window" of time. Before and after that window, the cheese is illegal. I've been known to partake in other "illegal cheese" that the FDA and USDA don't want us to have.

It's not about actual safety or health risks but about government gaining more and more control over our food supply.
Hi TracySam,

I know how to make cheese, but rarely make it because its difficult to find decent milk that can create a decent curd at any reasonable price. For fresh cheese, I may gently pasteurize it myself unless I saw the cow it came from.

I look forward to only being able to buy cooked chicken and hard boiled eggs cause that is dangerous to eat raw too.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:54 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I look forward to only being able to buy cooked chicken and hard boiled eggs cause that is dangerous to eat raw too.
Didn't they pass a rule that fried eggs had to be "well done" (rubberized)?

Old 08-27-2011, 10:30 AM

373 posts, read 635,388 times
Default Unpasteurized cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi TracySam,

I know how to make cheese, but rarely make it because its difficult to find decent milk that can create a decent curd at any reasonable price. For fresh cheese, I may gently pasteurize it myself unless I saw the cow it came from.

The best cheese I ever had was unpasteurized goat cheese on a motorcyle trip in North California. The cheese was not commercial.

If laws are made regarding chicken and eggs, I am sure shrimp and other sea foods grown in sewage in CHina will be available at the local food store. Before the Oil Spill in the Gulf there were plenty of safe shell fish. Your lucky to be on the east coast for sea food.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:44 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
Up here folks are getting around the raw milk issue by selling/buying goat (or cow) shares. Individuals are allowed to drink their own raw milk (for now) but not sell or trade it but if you own part of the animal, it's your milk. I agree with the sentiment that it's ridiculous. Hysterical food safety folks or an up in arms citizen with a bee in their bonnet gets in an uproar over something, normally a single incident, and laws are then passed and finally enforced with a heavy hand to the detriment of the whole.

The only way is to have much more control over food locally IMO.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:34 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
The only way is to have much more control over food locally IMO.
I agree with you 100%!

If folks in local communities would set up co-ops and keep strangers (from away) OUT, this might be easier to accomplish. The only other option is for each of us to raise our own chickens, goats/cows, hogs, sheep, etc.

The Polluted In China stuff shouldn't even be called "food". The FDA refuses to require country of origin labelling. One of the real battles right now is with the seed companies, who are unknowingly selling GMO seeds and getting flak from customers. Apparently a couple of well-known seed houses did not know that "Seminis" was a division of Monsanto. It will take a few years for the seed companies to get it all sorted out. Meanwhile, we buy all of our tomato seeds from a vendor that sells only heirloom varieties. I have no problem with hybrids (they often occur in nature, and are NOT modified), but will not knowingly plant anything from Monsanto.

People just have to get together and push back. Electing local officials of one's choice is easier than electing national candidates. Make it a point to bring up the subject with your local politicians to find out their stand on these issues, and let them know you will vote for local control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness