Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:40 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,459 times

Advertisements

All of these things have crossover appeal with the green living crowd - the trendy and chic crowd, that is. There are numerous so-called green sites where these types of things have been selling very well for several years and at similarly high prices.

I can see why WS would want to target this crowd, but Agrarian was a curious choice of words.

The only place the term Agrarian is popular these days is within the Occupy Movement (worldwide) and among its sympathizers. They advocate land reform by way of redistribution. I haven't seen any other popular usage today or context for the term with any current marketing appeal outside of Occupy land reform.

Williams-Sonoma demographics consist primarily of Caucasian women age 34-65, with grad school and annual income of around $100k. It has customers in other age groups and income levels, but this is the largest group.

If any of WS customers learn to grow food for themselves that is a good thing, I suppose. I am skeptical that they would last long with chickens and bees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 11:54 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I think they'd sell well. Virtually everyone has houseplants and many of these people are looking for something unusual. The obvious sales avenue is ebay. Get rolling now and you could have a very merry Christmas.

In bad times like those today people still give themselves little treats and luxuries.
That doesn't make them "bad times". Also, bad times today are for the middle class mostly. They saw their home equity go to the toilet and their 30yr mortgages turn into loans for nothing. The rich will always be fine.

OD

Old 04-11-2012, 12:03 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Let's stick with real survivalists, people like Joel Skousen, Kurt Saxon, John D. McCann and Martha Stewart.

For example:

Quote:
On Friday, September 26, 2008, our Director, John D. McCann, appeared on national television as a guest on the "Martha Stewart Show." He showed how to make a survival kit in a small mint tin. He discussed the contents and demonstrated how to use an oven bag as a water container to purify water and how to use safety pins to make fish hooks. He also discussed the survival courses he offers as well as his book, Build the Perfect Survival Kit, which was shown by Martha Stewart. The entire studio audience received a copy of John's book, provided by the publisher. If you would like to watch the video, or check out the contents of the Mint Tin Survival Kit, you can click here to see them on a designated page on Martha's website called "Survival Kit in a Tin."
Here's the link to McCann's website. Scroll about half way down. McCann is the ayatollah of survival kits.

Check out the link to Martha's survival kit information.

Survival Resources - Media Room

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 04-13-2012 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: fixed formatting

Old 04-12-2012, 03:26 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
OT, I know, but I have the silicone version of this and they are awesome.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:58 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Useful source for all things fowl :
Raising BackYard Chickens, Build a Chicken Coop, Pictures of Breeds

Old 04-13-2012, 09:06 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
Quote:
Here's the link to McCann's website. Scroll about half way down. McCann is the ayatollah of survival kits.
A quick skim and I was thinking "What?! John McCain isn't a survivalist or a prepper." Reread -- "Oh McCann... whole different person" LOL

Old 04-13-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
OT, I know, but I have the silicone version of this and they are awesome.
Are yours perforated? That's what Julia Child recommends.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:37 AM

I just received my first rep of 2013 from a nonmember for one of my posts for this thread. It was like a walk down memory lane complete with posts from SCGranny and LifelongMOGirl. In this thread I defined what a survivalist is. The world of survival is, to put it mildly, divaricated but always with individuals of steel resolve. Now it's New Year's Day and time for resolutions and perhaps revolutions. My one resolution is to make more money because the more I have the better I can fashion my life to what I wish. Add your own if you wish.

While you're contemplating your remarks keep in mind that Obama's head boy, Geithner, has built his career on espousing low interest rates. If you don't understand the effects do yourself a favor by doing some research. I just gave you a literal million dollar tip if you care to use it.

This thread is one of the best expositions of survivalism and self reliance we've ever had on this forum. Read it if it's new to you and reread it if not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
And I'm not betting for a minute that a government - any government, local, state or federal - will fall far enough to stop collecting taxes. After the devastation of the Civil War, taxes went UP; they never went away.
In the anarchy of the Russian Revolution strange little governments were popping up everywhere. Guess what their first action always was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Oh puhlease, Martha Stewart was prepping before prepping was cool.

Living the original 1% prepping mag.

WS aint got nutin on MS.
She ranks right along with Mel Tappan, another wealthy individual with a staff. I'll give him extra points, however, because he did it from a wheelchair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Spoken like a true capitalist (the one that is on the wealthy side of the equation).
Thanks for the great compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Why would a "true survivalist" advise people to remove edible forbes from their petunias and other gardening spots instead of pointing out their utility?
Well, Holy Cow, they're ornamentals. Nobody is that short of space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I can respect that you are a fan of hers but let's not go overboard by calling her a survivalist in the most expensive zip code in Conneticut (sic.). The difference between Martha Stewart and the average "prepper" is that she has a staff.
I have a maid and a clerical worker. Currently, I have a retired academic librarian as well, not a former government employee, however. She's working on a project to organize and describe the contents of my library as well a few related things. They're all part time but I do manage to pay them.

I'm not the only one here with a staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
A little psychological reason why the "agrarian" label works on the upscale market better than "prepper" etc... because they are (or believe themselves to be) the "landholders" in the agrarian system. The "lords & ladies of the manor" in the old feudal/agrarian system used to play at agriculture and husbandry as well, while they had real laborers doing the actual work.
We need a return of indentured servitude for poor European immigrants. Before the Revolution indentured servitude brought many fine people to this country who had drive and determination. Just as the fiercest opponent of labor unions is the man promoted from their ranks so the fiercest opponent of welfare is the man or woman who refused it.

Without the landed gentry we never would have had the sumptuous information that Burrard and Payne-Gallwey provided. These are required works for the serious student of arms or the history of technology.

The Modern Shotgun: Major Sir Gerald Burrard: Amazon.com: Books

The Crossbow: Its Military and Sporting History, Construction and Use: Ralph Payne-Gallwey: Amazon.com: Books

Old 01-01-2013, 10:12 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,933,611 times
Thanks for the link. I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness