Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:43 PM

584 posts, read 2,149,854 times

Advertisements

If there is no more electricity in the world, what would the average home owner do? I guess we would have to go back to prairie life style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 01:45 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,664,886 times
do you mean via the grid or none, kaput?
Cause I could conjur up some juice via a wind mill or solar panel iffin I had to... but if you mean that there is no more juice PERIOD, kaput! I think I would be in a tough spot.. tough spot indeed.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:07 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
When would there ever be a situation where there is no electricity in the world?

Old 09-01-2012, 07:37 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,826,754 times
What is a prairie life style? They ain't got no juice out there, er wut?

Old 09-01-2012, 09:42 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Many different things could take down 'the grid'.

There are scenarios where many power plants could be forced to shut-down. However most of them would remain capable of operating. Once the crisis [that caused the shut-down] passed then they would power-up again and begin the process of repairing 'the grid'.

I am in the process of going off-grid using solar-power.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:46 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Look up the old posts on city-data by "ForestBreath" Non-electric living.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:05 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
If there is no more electricity in the world, what would the average home owner do? I guess we would have to go back to prairie life style.
Not me...... I live in NH which is pretty far from the prairie.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:20 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,948,962 times
"pioneer" lifestyle as opposed to "prairie" maybe (No prairies in AK either LOL)

There are many ways to generate electricity that don't rely on the grid or non-renewable fuels, so if you're concerned about losing grid power you should research and get set up now. But the average homeowner in the US would definitely have to adjust their electrical usage and become a bit more conservative. There are many ways to conserve electricity, and many things that don't need really need to be done with electricity or non-renewable fuels... we've just gotten used to the convenience. But if you use power and fuel efficiently and wisely (where it really gives you a huge advantage), you really don't need a massive power system to maintain a reasonable lifestyle.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:40 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
I guess if the power went off forever I would miss my battery drill the most. I am not to sure i would want to regain any power.

For so long as society seems quassi reasonable I might linger around it and help where i could, but these days here in the lower 48 anyway there isn't a whole lot based on real reason anymore.

Other than my Buck Skinner friends most folks seem to be out in left field. They place values on the darndest things.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:11 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
It would just be like more poorer parts of the world. Local towns would jury-rig new electrical systems of varying quality, some would live outside it, most would have fairly unreliable daily service, but electricity would still be part of daily life.

I spent a few months in a town in Amazonian Bolivia where the electricity was provided with a locomotive-sized diesel engine that was only turned on for 2-3 hours every evening and the water pumped though the system pipes for 1 hour each morning.

That was high living to those who lived further out in the jungle! Most people kept water cisterns so that when the water was on, it would fill the cistern and they'd have all the water they needed for the day. Things that needed electricity were done when the power was on and things in general were set up to be able to function without it. Many people rigged up batteries and charged them when the power was on for use at other times when it wasn't.

People won't just go back to 1850; they'll find ways to adapt to the new circumstances while continuing to seek out the benefits of technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness