Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:49 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,836,530 times

Advertisements

Vitamin C sources: Dandelion greens, rose hips, fireweed shoots, wood sorrel, plantain, chickweed to name a few wild plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 11:50 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,951,056 times
Non-fruit, garden keepers high in Vit C: cabbage and potatoes!

Cathy - does fireweed grow down "south"? And we can't forget blueberries, low & high bush cranberries, salmonberries, cloudberries, service berries which all grow wild and can be harvested frozen in the snow (if you can find and beat the critters to them!) or harvested in season and dried or made into lovely preserves!!

Old 10-04-2012, 12:09 AM

Cathy - does fireweed grow down "south"?

In the Rockies as far south as CO, WA and MN. Rare in a few other states.

Green Pine needle tea, young willow leaves are other sources.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:17 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times
In Montana, one way you can always tell a real old homestead when you find an abandoned cabin or parts of one out on the plains or in the hills is the real ones always have a rhubarb plant growing somewhere close by.

It is one plant that really grows well here and grows back year after year with almost no care, and it is really good for you too!

Does Rhubarb Have Vitamin K? | LIVESTRONG.COM

It can be planted once, and used forever and it is one of the first to produce in the spring as soon as the ground warms.

It freezes easily and well, cans good, and can be used in a wide variety of ways.

The wife made a chokecherry rhubarb pie one time that was out of this world, and rhubarb cake and bread really have a nice tang to them.

It is one way to stockpile a lot of produce from a very small place and is a staple here in this state.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:21 PM

Ditto that and asparagus, another gift that keeps on giving. Love them both.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:12 PM

Perennials are a bit tricky up here in the Interior, they don't always overwinter without help, but I would love asparagus and DH loves rhubarb. Kale is probably the best leafy green in really cold places, in an insulated cold frame we can harvest it until mid-November when it takes a nap until mid-February. In places that have more light and aren't quite as cold, kale grows and harvests just fine in light snow.

The Truth About Kale: Nutrition, Recipe Ideas, and More

Old 10-05-2012, 06:02 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,634,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Non-fruit, garden keepers high in Vit C: cabbage and potatoes!

Cathy - does fireweed grow down "south"? And we can't forget blueberries, low & high bush cranberries, salmonberries, cloudberries, service berries which all grow wild and can be harvested frozen in the snow (if you can find and beat the critters to them!) or harvested in season and dried or made into lovely preserves!!
What was very popular in Yugoslavia was putting whole cabbages in barrels with water and salt to ferment. This was done in the fall and then during the winter we would eat it in all sorts of recipes - my favorite - "sarma": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarma_(food)

OD

Old 10-05-2012, 07:55 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times
Yugoslavia knew how to preserve plums for later use too

Slivovitz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remember getting a shot of that stuff for the first time without knowing what it was. A friend of mine had gotten some in town from a local that made it in Mostar.

YIKES!!!!

It was a little strong...... I don't think the guy tempered it down to at least 120 proof, which would have been nice.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:44 PM

Don't know if that actually qualifies as "preserving" MT But, the Russians "preserved" their potatoes via fermentation and distilling as well... mmmmm, vodka!

Brandy, vodka and other local alcohols were/are commonly used to preserve fruit. Vodka and Everclear (from corn), in particular, are often used to make herbal tinctures, extracts, and essential oils.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:58 PM

..putting whole cabbages in barrels with water and salt to ferment..

My Germanic ancestors call their shredded version sauerkraut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness