Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 07:02 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuunyuuzhan View Post
Hello. I recently gotten interested in survivalism. I am wondering where should I start Does anyone know a good point to start at?

dont go around telling people including your family you are into prepping. they will mock you, and if something happens, they will be the 1st to show up at your doorstep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 07:05 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuunyuuzhan View Post
Alright. By survivalism, I mean having the skills and tools necessary for a societal collapse. I mean to ask where I should start to learn about what to have and do in the case said collapse ever happens.
The first thng to learn is how to insulate yourself from it. Here's a website you can check right now with a neat situation in Cyprus showing just what can happen.

Gold, Silver, Gold Price, Silver Price, Gold Rate, Gold News | Kitco

Anu societal collapse will be a monetary collapse at bottom. But it's always good to have plans for any physical consequences as well. Here are a few books to get you on the way.

Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival: Jack A. Spigarelli: 9780936348070: Amazon.com: Books

Mr. Spigarelli lays out plans for food and other supplies in a readable and realistic manner without either hysteria or preachiness.

Amazon.com: Boston on Surviving Y2K (9781888766059): Kenneth W. Royce, Boston T. Party, Boston T. Party: Books

Y2K is gone but the interest in independent living remains. This is the best introduction available.

Boston's Gun Bible: Boston T. Party, Kenneth W. Royce: 9781888766066: Amazon.com: Books

There have been thousands of gunbooks published; this is one of the absolute best. The author actually knows about guns and has a firm grasp on the subject. You will know more than most "experts" when you've digested this book.

Kenneth Royce AKA Boston T. Party has written a number of books; they are all worth reading.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:46 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,257 times
If he was wrong on Y2K nothing of his is worth reading.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:06 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post

Actually (While I disagree with some of his conclusions) Boston's Gun bible is a book VERY worth reading.

Technical knowledge which has nothing to do with Y2K. Infact, some of his sections on intrusive gov't... think I need to look for my copy.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:24 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post

lots of people were wrong on Y2K, it doesnt mean he was wrong on the information he was giving out about prepping.

if you are not willing to take information from all sources concerning prepping and survivalism, then why bother starting.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:45 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
If it hadn't been for the people raising the red flag on Y2K it's likely that it would have happened. But enough interest and worry was created that the government and the business community started working overtime to correct the problem.

In most cases, if we can identify a problem we can solve it.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:34 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Actually (While I disagree with some of his conclusions) Boston's Gun bible is a book VERY worth reading.

Technical knowledge which has nothing to do with Y2K. Infact, some of his sections on intrusive gov't... think I need to look for my copy.
Yeah I understand different people like different things. However, in my opinion .... Y2K, "Gun Bible", or "intrusive gov't" is not the place for anyone to start. I believe the OP wants to know what to do when the supermarkets are bare.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:14 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
There are a lot of 'experts'.

Thousands of people write blogs, magazine articles, and books.

I have issue with the idea that a good 'writer' is automatically an 'expert' in a field.

Helen and Scott Nearing are an example of good writers. They wrote material about simple living and self-sufficiency homesteading. From that sprang a nation-wide sub-culture of people who 'knew' that such a lifestyle is possible, because they read the Nearings and in their minds were mental pictures of how great that lifestyle is. Which sprang up more writers, which grew the sub-culture, which caused more writers, ...

Few notice that the Nearing's were wealthy with outside sources of income, they hired much of the daily labor for their homestead, and they never became self-sufficient. It did not stop them from writing about the good life of self-sufficiency, and painting a wonderful picture of how grand it is.

In this life, we are all guessing.

If you like the writings of an author, then great. If you disagree with that author, but like another author, then great. Is there any one author that is totally correct? Outside of the Author of the Bible, I think not.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:33 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
I meant more that I disagreed with some of his technical points (specifically regarding AK's) as well as a few details of his "raiting system"

Old 03-18-2013, 10:20 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
Have to agree with Submariner and a couple of others on this one.

All the books in the world won't help if you can't apply what you read to your specific situation and location.
Many are Pie in the Sky fantasy that will get you killed in real world situations. You will learn in time which are which, but you have to have some foundation to build on first.

If you have space for a garden, or perhaps to have some chickens or rabbits, the local Extension Office is a good place to start.
They have publications on animal husbandry, agriculture, rainfall, water storage, common pests all specific to your area. Most survival books use general knowledge and while the information is usually valid, it may or may not apply to your area.

If you can't raise your own, do you have storage space? An extra closet can become a pantry for extra food and water. You can also store supplies like sleeping bags, candles, extra clothing there as well.

The very first thing to do is to decide what you are prepping for, look at your resources you already have, decide what you need instead of just what you want, and start your plan.

If you are worried about a weather event, will you bug out or will you shelter in place? Do you have a place to go for a few days if you need to? If you shelter in place, will you have food and water and heat?

Are you planning on "living off the land" in an emergency? If so, you will need to be very familier with the local plants and animals. Will they be available all year round, or are they seasonal? Disasters don't always happen under optimal weather/summer situations.
Can you make fire without matches? Can you fashion means to catch game and fish? Can you devise your own shelter? Can you make your own cooking pots from what you find?

The Armegeddon stuff I don't get into, but I do live a very self-sufficent lifestyle and while it isn't easy and there is a lot of sweat and work involved, it can be a lot of fun and help you save money at the same time.

You just have to decide what you are preparing for, then you can start working on how to counter it or live through it.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness