Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 09:34 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times

Advertisements

I saw an episode re-run of this show yesterday at 11pm on the history channel. That's a great show. There are 5 or 6 guys who live in the deep mountains.... 1 in Alaska (craziest in my opinion), 2 or 3 somewhere in the rockies, Maine, and NC. Seeing the obstacles they face are a bit familiar to things I'm now experiencing trying to be more self sufficient.....

Remoteness:
Few people need to fly a small plane to reach their property but expensive gas and spotty slow internet and limited access to medical care can be a constant challenge in itself.

I feel for the Blue Ridge mountains guy because I have neighbors on the south and east side of my property sawing all the trees down for money, I guess this has one advantage as it opens up mountain views and sun exposure but I rather keep the added privacy.

I think the Alaska guy is a bit crazy leaving his woman and child alone for months.

Montana guy seems to be getting too old to live out there with his wife and little support. I wonder if he has a son or daughter? But he's tough and good with wood. I seen couples work and live alone together into their 80s.

The Mountain Lion guy looks to be in a good stable situation with a skill in demand of running off mountain lions and climbing up trees face to face with them.

Haven't seen George or Charlie yet.

I want to hear feedback and thoughts from people on here who probably relate to how these guys live rather its the preparedness in the wild or self sufficiency. These men aren't very community oriented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 09:41 AM

744 posts, read 1,091,666 times
They probably have criminal records or are sex offenders.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:59 AM

25,745 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
What makes you think that?

Old 06-14-2013, 10:31 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Living in Montana, I do have a prospective on the 2 men from the Yaak and Ruby Valleys.

What they are doing is not uncommon, for the man in the Yaak, I know several folks in their 80's+ that still live on their farmsteads way back in the hills. Northwest Montana is pretty remote anyway with a lot of dirt/mud or gravel roads.
Don't let age fool you either. My 90 year old uncle still hunted elk, worked with my father in his sawmill, skidded logs with horses, and helped build our cabin until he passed away.

Folks that live like that usually have neighbors that help them from time to time, just as the folks will reciprocate and help if someone needs it. It is usually an interdependent community where folks take care of each other because there is nobody else there to do the job. So if one guy has a cat or grader, he will maintain the private roads, somebody else will pass out garden stuff, when there is a cow or hog butchered, the meat is shared, when somebody takes wild game, you might get invited to a barbeque or over for supper while when there is a fire or flood or blizzard, the whole community checks on the older/weaker residents to make sure they are safe and shelter is offered in others homes for those that may be impacted. Everybody joins in on the firelines or building dikes while the womenfolk make sure everybody is fed and has a safe place to sleep at night.

Folks that live that lifestyle have to be tough to survive. My father for instance after having open heart surgery was caring for his livestock within 3 days of the operation. He got home and took a walk to the top of the hill behind the house (about a mile round trip), just to check the doctor's "plumbing" skills and make sure he did a good job

The guy in the Ruby Valley in SW Montana is pretty typical for folks in that area. Beaverhead County is about the size of some of the smaller eastern states,(like New Hampshire) but there are only 6 Deputy Sheriffs to cover it so the folks there are pretty self reliant and independent. They don't appreciate interference from outside.
It is also a long ways from anywhere, at least a couple hundred miles from the nearest large hospital for instance.

While the show is dramatized, the way the guys live and speak is fairly accurate. The guy in the Ruby Valley for instance is probably what is called here a "government trapper" who is licensed by the state Fish Wildlife and Parks to handle problem wildlife.

The reason I say that is because it is illegal to harrass wildlife unless it is for a specific licensed purpose.

Away from the towns, those guys aren't that different from a lot of folks. I enjoy watching the show, but take it with a grain of salt because it is edited for dramatic effect.

To answer another post:

evan83 They probably have criminal records or are sex offenders.

Troll comments without any basis in fact or evidence are slander.

It is very doubtful that they would be criminals of any sort. Most are highly intelligent, hard working people who simply want to live their lives as they want to.
It wouldn't be a good life for a child molester, too far from places where you would find kids for one thing, for another, most of those guys would rather die than hurt a kid or a woman. They usually live by an old code of taking care of each other and respecting women and children.
Most would rather loose a hand than take anything they didn't earn or buy. I have seen men with hard calloused hands carrying a small screw or bolt to the cash register to pay their 8 cents rather than stick it in their pocket.
To steal would besmirch their honor and good name. They might not have much, but their pride keeps them the most honest and straightforward people you will ever meet.

It is a very alien concept to some city folk, but these guys aren't that different from the people that settled here 150 years ago.
They are decent and honorable men and women.

Usually when we get a crackpot like the Unibomber living here, he came from acadamia and the city and brought his mental health issues and problems with him.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:48 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
In one of the more recent shows, Eustace Conway, (the Blue Ridge Mountain guy), was upset because the sheriff was going to seize his land due to non-payment of taxes, and Eustace was all upset and acting like he didn't know they would do this. Really? He's lived there for over thirty years, and he didn't know that tax notice was coming?

Do ya think they create a little extra drama?

Old 06-14-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
In one of the more recent shows, Eustace Conway, (the Blue Ridge Mountain guy), was upset because the sheriff was going to seize his land due to non-payment of taxes, and Eustace was all upset and acting like he didn't know they would do this. Really? He's lived there for over thirty years, and he didn't know that tax notice was coming?

Do ya think they create a little extra drama?
Well it could have gotten complicated because he apparently kept acquiring more and more land over an extended period of time and it wasn't bough upfront. If the county allows him to pay only 25-40% then that's a huge debt to keep up with. I don't think they add drama, in fact these guys are proficient with living in the wild, they're not ordinary people, they attract crazy situations.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Folks that live like that usually have neighbors that help them from time to time, just as the folks will reciprocate and help if someone needs it. It is usually an interdependent community where folks take care of each other because there is nobody else there to do the job. So if one guy has a cat or grader, he will maintain the private roads, somebody else will pass out garden stuff, when there is a cow or hog butchered, the meat is shared, when somebody takes wild game, you might get invited to a barbeque or over for supper while when there is a fire or flood or blizzard, the whole community checks on the older/weaker residents to make sure they are safe and shelter is offered in others homes for those that may be impacted. Everybody joins in on the firelines or building dikes while the womenfolk make sure everybody is fed and has a safe place to sleep at night.
Yeah, it was wrong to say they aren't community oriented. They just have smaller communities with probably stronger relationships. The one guy said he considered the old man like his family member. Lately I've been scoping what my immediate area lacks and start preparing to fill that weak area in case one day some of the people nearby would be out of work or quite receiving their checks. They pretty much have everything, its more the store bough items that will come in handy if there is ever a short supply after a disaster or becomes to expensive in the future.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Criminals often resort to crime because they don't work hard, doing for yourself is hard work so I highly doubt it.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:10 PM

Eustace owns land in a snobby mountain county. I deliberately avoided those counties when searching in NC because they're overpriced and the people are more wealthy/yuppified/retired/overly educated. They enforce the universal building codes which require all structures over 12x12x12 to be inspected for code and meet what they outline as "habitable", even in rural zoned areas. They want you grid-tied and taxed. NC has tried to enforce taxing well water. A property as large as his shouldn't even be exposed to the public because he is in an area inhabited with snitches.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:29 PM

"a guy said this barn is easily worth over 100,000.. but I just put 27 dollars into it"

They want to tax the value of everything.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness