Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 04:51 PM

37 posts, read 77,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Oy, oy, get a sense of humor, will ya?

I think LordyLordy is using some tongue-in-cheek humor....
I agree ...lighten up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 10:59 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J D Grayman View Post
So there are a few ideas, good or bad, take 'em or leave 'em. Start small, then increase as you want and are able. The chuckleheads you see on "Doomsday Preppers" are a little out there as far as I am concerned. If it comes to where you need a armored vehicle and a fallout shelter, we're hopelessly screwed anyways. and one more thing while we're talking DDP....OPSEC!!!!! don't tell everyone what you are doing, if there is a problem, they will beat a path to your door. That's something I always laugh about on DDP, they have these elaborate preps, and then they go on national TV and tell anyone and everyone about them.....stupid.
Very well said.

The real problem is that many of those TV preppers talk about the events that trigger their need to go into survival mode, but that event is just the excuse to play the role of prepper. The part they overlook is that the trigger can manifest itself in several ways, with various threats coming from different angles. If they think only a specific way, they expose their vulnerabilities when confronted with a different unfolding of events. It’s at that point when they start throwing up roadblocks to how something will unfold. If it does not match their way of prepping or it conflicts with what they are prepared for or how they see things unfolding, they dismiss it as impractical or not likely.

I also love the shows where people buy these premade bunkers and try to keep the location secret. Almost all those bunkers require oversize/weight road permits and they are public record. I have a contest at work where I give a prize to the first employee or employee group that can provide the coordinates of these bunkers. In every case, it was the road permits that gave us the address where the bunker was offloaded from the trailer. Real security!

Old 11-07-2013, 09:35 AM

409 posts, read 872,539 times
Default A chuckle and a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Very well said.

I also love the shows where people buy these premade bunkers and try to keep the location secret. Almost all those bunkers require oversize/weight road permits and they are public record. I have a contest at work where I give a prize to the first employee or employee group that can provide the coordinates of these bunkers. In every case, it was the road permits that gave us the address where the bunker was offloaded from the trailer. Real security!
I chuckled quite a bit when I read this.

However, moving on to the question I have for the forum.

Water storage.

I have decided that 9 gallons of water is the place to start in my plan. What I am wondering is optimum method of storing the water, quantity wise.

I've done some research online and it seems all over the map on storing water- some people store it in 55 gallon (or bigger) drums, some in 5 gallon or 1 gallon containers and some people store bottled water.

What are the opinions out there as to storing 9 gallons of water. I was inclined to start out with 1 gallon containers, that would allow me to track the use of the water on a daily basis. However, I am also concerned over storage space starting out. I want the initial stash to be able to be in a closet away from the pantry/kitchen.

For my initial plan (and this will probably change as the level of prepping increases) what opinions are out there as to this issue?

Thanks

Old 11-07-2013, 10:13 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
I wouldn't buy the gallon milk jug style bottles because they can't be stacked. An easy way to get nine gallons of water is to just buy three 24 packs of bottled water and stack them on top of each other in a closet.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:01 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I wouldn't buy the gallon milk jug style bottles because they can't be stacked. An easy way to get nine gallons of water is to just buy three 24 packs of bottled water and stack them on top of each other in a closet.
Since Nestle Pure Life is my favorite drinking water I do stock it by the case employing FIFO. But I do it with eighty cases. Figuring cases of 24, that much doesn't even cost three hundred dollars.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:23 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
I agree especially for that small of an amount, you could sign up for one of the water services that has 5 gallon jugs you put on a stand and use daily.

A jug on the stand and 2 in queue meets your criteria, and by using the water, replacing the empty, you will always have a fresh source.

Long term storage of water can run into problems as elements are leached out of the containers. Fresh water that is rotated to keep it fresh is the best solution, especially for small amounts like you are talking about.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:39 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Oy, oy, get a sense of humor, will ya?

yeah right, use humor on people who are trying to prepare, so when SHTF for real, you are looking for someone to loot.

want humor? remember that looters are most often shot in times of crisis.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:55 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
yeah right, use humor on people who are trying to prepare, so when SHTF for real, you are looking for someone to loot.

want humor? remember that looters are most often shot in times of crisis.
What makes you think I will be looking for something to loot?

Old 11-08-2013, 02:47 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
What makes you think I will be looking for something to loot?

never mind, you just would not understand.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:50 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
never mind, you just would not understand.
Oh, enlighten me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness