Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 02:26 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times

Advertisements

One thing I usually keep in all my cars, not really for emergency situations, but for regular winter driving.

An extra pair of socks. The thick/long sporty kind.

You may not realize how water proof your shoes are until it snows real bad or rains real bad, and after walking in the muck for a bit, your socks are soggy and cold. I do not like this feeling at all and it ruins my day. I've been carrying an extra pair of socks in my glovebox or trunk for several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 04:56 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
If you live somewhere that deep snow/mud/water can be an issue or you drive off-road at all, then a good recovery kit with tug hooks, straps/chains, and come-along/winch is really handy. A hi-lift jack (or three LOL) is also handy for getting out of deep snow, mud holes and sand traps... and if you're on the small side, a length of sturdy pipe to extend the handle for extra leverage.

A thick heavy-duty (10 oz+) tarp has a ton of uses in roadside emergencies... ground cloth, weathershield, temporary shelter, emergency stretcher, etc. If you can find one in reflective silver or bright yellow/orange/red, it also makes a great recovery & warning signal especially with a bit of reflective tape spelling out "need help" or similar. And, of course, bungees/rope/paracord to secure said tarp in various configurations.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:03 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,739 times
Don't forget to get another car to haul with you whatever is suggested here

In all seriousness: you are asking people on a forum where anyone could be anywhere, South Florida, Texas, Arizona, California, Wyoming. Different places, different weather patterns, different possibilities. People can also spend their whole day on a desolate rural road where two cars pass per day so getting stuck really means trouble. These folks will prepare differently than someone who can potentially break down on the turnpike with heavy traffic, plenty of mechanics and tow companies around etc.

So, first question: where are you going for your roadtrip? To answer your second question better: where do you usually drive? Finally, how old is your car?

Old 11-13-2013, 10:21 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
For cold weather: a shovel, a set of chains, a jacket and blanket/sleeping bag for each person in the car. A solid tow strap because maybe you will get lucky and someone will give you a pull if you are stuck.

Towing insurance doesn't hurt.

And the standard things: jumper cables, flares, cell phone.

We get people (tourists) die here every winter because they won't obey traffic signs. When the sign says "road closed" it really does mean road closed and it isn't closed just for giggles. There is a reason it is closed so stay off of it.

Tell someone where you are going and call them when you get there. If you are stuck somewhere, rescue won't start until someone realizes you are missing.

If you don't know the area, carry a map.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:29 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
Hello,

What do you guys recommend someone keep in her car for a roadtrip?

And, what do you recommend be kept in the car at all times in case of an emergency?

Besides the usual spare tire, flashlight, jack, etc.

extra clothes for the type of weather you are in at that time. rain gear, emergency blanket 1-2 emergency candles, food bars x 24, water.

where I live I now keep a rifle and pistol in my truck with 400 rounds of ammo too. plus a full get up of winter weather gear.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:07 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
In my truck i usually carry enough stuff to do my work which means enough equipment to rebuild a vehicle, or build a cabin with enough food, water, clothing, and other supplies I could probably live for at least a couple weeks easy, but I pretty much live out of my toolbox and pickup so outside of a kitchen and bathroom....

One thing I will say as I live in cold country, while I do have a wool blanket and some space blankets in there, I prefer having a 0 degree rated mummy bag. They don't take up a lot of room in a stuff bag, are far warmer than just a blanket, and in warm weather make a pretty good pillow.

Duct Tape is a must, as are a candle and a coffee can, (tin of course. It can serve as a base for the candle, serve as a stand to warm water over the candle, and can also serve as sanitary facilities if necessary), some protein bars work well for food as they last a long time.

I like the wind up flashlights so I don't have to worry about batteries, a distress signal like a flag you put on your antenna or a banner for your window, a reflective emergency marker so somebody doesn't run into you, a knife and either a saw or small ax and matches.

If you don't know how to fix breakdowns, all the tools in the world are just extra weight, but some like jumper cables or a tow strap can really come in handy.

Make your kit to where you are and what you will most probably be facing, and know how to use what you have in your kit. If you are traveling I would have a bigger and more complex kit, if you are just commuting to work or a short drive to visit relatives for instance, you don't need a full bug out kit.

Common sense is your best weapon. You know the country you live in, for instance in the swamp country you may want mosquito netting when it is hot and humid and you can't run your air conditioning. In the desert, carry several gallons of water. In snow country, Kitty litter or sand and chains.

Make your kit to what you do and where you are. Some basics like a flashlight or food are a given where-ever you are, but much can be specific to your individual circumstance.

Good luck

Old 11-14-2013, 08:13 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Some food like a few bags of nuts or trail mix,granola bars, no stuff that will melt in the heat of summer as this emergency ration may be in the car for some years..

Old 11-14-2013, 09:11 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
extra clothes for the type of weather you are in at that time. rain gear, emergency blanket 1-2 emergency candles, food bars x 24, water.

where I live I now keep a rifle and pistol in my truck with 400 rounds of ammo too. plus a full get up of winter weather gear.
You forgot the rocket launcher and the night vision goggles!

Old 11-14-2013, 04:09 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
*snort* Y'all are making me chuckle. I modified our van for stealth camping back over ten years ago, so I could probably just check "all of the above."

Took DW to a couple of doctor appointments today. Didn't feel like going inside, so stretched out on the bed in back, read some from a tablet I brought along, and took a nice nap for an hour. If I pull back the foam pad, there is a small wastebasket lined with a couple garbage bags in case I need to take more than a nap and there isn't a private or convenient place. I keep a small cooler of non-perishable foods, water, and soft drink. I have a single burner propane stove and a pot if I want to open the beans or make a tuna dish. Of course there is the usual tire gear, tarp, brake fluid, radiator fluid, distilled water, clean-up supplies, tools, knife, a complete change of clothes, map, road service from the insurance co., cell phone (OFF), dashcam, first aid kit, fire extinguisher AND box of baking soda. Oh yeah, I conceal carry. In short, the van is better equipped than some apartments.

Of all of it, the bed gets the most use. If I'm too tired to drive safely, nap time. If I feel like taking a break, I do. I HAVE cut down - originally my modification of the van included a 2KW inverter, two (or four depending on my mood) deep cycle batteries, microwave, dorm refrigerator and a room AC for when there was shore power available. A cooler and the little propane stove are easier on the gas mileage. Road trips were generally two nights in the van, one in a motel.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:53 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
You forgot the rocket launcher and the night vision goggles!

I am trying to act with intelligence instead of being a smartass, why don't you do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness