Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 08:47 AM

981 posts, read 1,620,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And I'll tell you something else: when I read those old journals and diaries, along with the trials and hardships, I find a joy of life in those words that seems to have become extinct in our time. We're a hollow facsimile of a society. We're too busy rallying around biases, and painting banners like some two-bit snake oil salesman, to actually live life.

Society was so wonderful back then. Greatly reduced civil rights, workers' rights were scarcely existent, medical technology was still extremely barbaric, and there was far more violence. Oh and there was far less social mobility, although still greatly improved from the centuries before thanks to new technologies that gave far greater access to energy to the common man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 09:05 AM

25,743 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
Society was so wonderful back then. Greatly reduced civil rights, workers' rights were scarcely existent, medical technology was still extremely barbaric, and there was far more violence. Oh and there was far less social mobility, although still greatly improved from the centuries before thanks to new technologies that gave far greater access to energy to the common man.
The problem with "historians" such as yourself, is that you take the worst aspects of a given era... and proceed to generalize it to the point that you believe every man, woman, and child of that time fits that template. Studied logical fallacies much?

Is every person alive today a radical, bomb-implanted terrorist? Is every person Idi Amin? Is every person a gang banger knockin' down the 'ho's every night? Is every person exactly the same in your world? And is every person of the worst sort in your world? I'll bet you think that every "white" man alive in 1850 was a slave owner who had 10 scalps for a hat band. It's too bad you can't see past the cliché and into the real lives of real people.

None of those things that you mention is anywhere in the material written by my family members of the time. No violence, nothing about worker's conditions, barbaric doctors, etc. Now either my family is 100% charmed or you're being biased. I never said nothing bad ever happened back then. But from your posts, you are clearly stating that nothing good ever happened back then. I'd call that a biased view, wouldn't you?

Last edited by ChrisC; 11-29-2013 at 09:40 AM..

Old 11-29-2013, 11:08 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
Not long. Life wouldn't really be worth living. What's surviving if life sucks?
I'd like to retain the option of deciding that when the time actually came.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:33 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
The problem with "historians" such as yourself, is that you take the worst aspects of a given era... and proceed to generalize it to the point that you believe every man, woman, and child of that time fits that template. Studied logical fallacies much?
You are guilty of doing the opposite in this forum. You rant endlessly about modern technology, cell phones, TV, etc. etc. as if they are the ONLY things happening and available today. You fail to see the good things technology, civil rights and so on have brought to the world.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:44 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
We have it all here.
How about your guns?

Old 11-29-2013, 01:54 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
All of the prepper training/hoarding in the world won't help when the government truly turns on we, the people. It won't happen in any of our lifetimes but will eventually.
If you want to be alive at the end of it - it's your life, have fun.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:28 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
The first day without TV, the internet, and no heat would end it for me. Give me the gas pipe now. Oh what a world. I'm melting melting.....

Old 11-29-2013, 02:35 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGR22 View Post
So how long would you make it before turning to other means? How long would u give the country?

In the second week of the shutdown I tried to work as a male prostitute. Sadly nobody wanted me so I'm stuck with government.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:24 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
The first day without TV, the internet, and no heat would end it for me. Give me the gas pipe now. Oh what a world. I'm melting melting.....
We had Thanksgiving dinner with the in-laws. They had the History Channel on the entire time showing 'Swamp People'. That family knew each of the TV 'characters' on the show, and repeated stories of the Swamp People's accomplishments.

It had been a few years since that last time I was exposed to a TV that could actually receive signal.

I was not impressed with the programming that was on TV the last time that I saw TV, and after this Thanksgiving I am still un-impressed.

I suspect that loosing TV [and the effect of it's programming] will boost the collective intelligence in our society.

If you were concerned about loosing heat, maybe you could shift to using a different heat source?

Old 11-29-2013, 05:18 PM

25,743 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
You are guilty of doing the opposite in this forum. You rant endlessly about modern technology, cell phones, TV, etc. etc. as if they are the ONLY things happening and available today. You fail to see the good things technology, civil rights and so on have brought to the world.
Not true. I may well dislike certain technology. But I'm also the first to admit the good that has come out of certain other technology, or even that specific technology. You'll not see me condemn a given technology and generalize that condemnation as a universal statement just because I do not like or do not want that aspect as part of my own life. I never begrudge things for others simply because I dislike them or have no interest in them, other than the situation where said technology is negatively affecting me personally.

Saying that "life sucked" in, say 1870, as a general statement is a far dry from me saying that I am not interested in Technology X in my own life or even me ranting that I do not like it. Besides, mainly, the thing I rant about is having options other than the technology, not about the technology itself, per se.

As for "civil rights," I'm for liberty for all. So what color a person's skin is or what language they speak or their personal beliefs are of little consequence to me beyond the fact that they are free to choose their own path. However, others choosing their own path should not translate to others choosing my path. This is why fail to see the benefit of "diversity," which is such a catch word these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness