Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 10:38 AM

671 posts, read 854,914 times

Advertisements

Hello,

What do you guys recommend someone keep in her car for a roadtrip?

And, what do you recommend be kept in the car at all times in case of an emergency?

Besides the usual spare tire, flashlight, jack, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 10:50 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,407,589 times
Jumper cables, a quart of oil and a gallon of water/anti-freeze.

Based on your name, I'm guessing you live in a cold climate.
A small duffel bag or backpack with boots, gloves, hat, blanket, a couple water bottles and a little food (e.g. candy bars).

I'd also have a candle or 2 (in some sort of holder in case it drips) and a lighter. This will give you a little heat should your vehicle become disabled.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:37 PM

542 posts, read 692,491 times
I drive in the summer through the desert a lot, and in addition to water and an umbrella I keep one of those cold packs meant for sprained ankles - the type where you shake and squeeze it to activate the cold. I should probably look into a heat version, too. I know they have the little ones for your hands; I don't know if they have larger ones.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:54 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,427,301 times
Map/atlas. In case your GPS device / cell phone go out for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Jumper cables, a quart of oil and a gallon of water/anti-freeze.
I was going to say bring a gallon of oil instead of just a quart. But I guess if you may be losing that much oil, you shouldn't go on a road trip at all...

Maybe a gallon of gas? I've been in situations where I thought I had enough gas to the next gas station and barely made it before empty.

If you're traveling on the highway in long stretches, you never know. Depends on where you are and also who's driving.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:40 PM

537 posts, read 740,526 times
You need stuff for people and stuff for the vehicle. This is my (short-term) emergency list.

People:
1. Space blanket or something for warmth for each passenger
2. High energy food like energy bars or survival food blocks
3. Water
4. Whistles/laser pointer/emergency beacon
5. Cell phone with charger

Vehicle:
1. Extra oil (find out which is recommended for your vehicle and carry 1-2 quarts)
2. Jumper cables
3. Decent LED flashlight and a headlamp
4. Anti-freeze
5. Duct tape
6. Pliers or channel locks (there's always something you can't turn by hand)
7. Hammer (if the lug nuts are too tight you'll be grateful for this tool)
8. A coil of baling wire
9. A working tire changing kit w/a jack that works, a tire wrench that works, a couple pieces of 2x4 cutoffs to support the jack
10. Wiper fluid (if you can't see during freezing, slushy conditions it's a nightmare)
11. Warm work gloves
12. Rags or paper towels

I would also recommend "pretending" you have had a flat tire and actually changing it in a non-emergency setting. You will discover quickly if you have the sufficient skills and tools to do the job and be on your way. AAA is not always just a phone call away.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:05 PM

346 posts, read 786,652 times
The absolute first thing that goes in my vehicle is a roll of toilet paper.

After that I keep a small tool set with sockets etc, that I got from Wal Mart, jumpers cables, flash light, road flares / portable strobe lights, safety vest, spin bar (looks like a big plus sign, fits multiple size lug nuts), floor jack because it's fast and easy, leatherman tool, cell charger.

I'd have to look in the vehicle to see what else is there, I know there's more.

Greetings from Jersey City.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:08 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,951,056 times
An emergency tire repair kit and a 12v compressor pump in addition to a full spare... just in case you have a problem with your spare or another tire before you get the original tire fixed on a long road trip.

Don't forget spare fuses, you wouldn't believe how many vehicle issues are caused by this simple electrical failure.

Spare set of all bulbs -- headlights, tail lights, brake lights, fog/runner lights, turn signals -- and tri-color (white, red, amber) lens repair tape.

An emergency escape tool meant to puncture air bags, break out windows and cut through seat belts.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:59 AM

645 posts, read 1,276,535 times
Learn how to safely change a tire. It's a little more involved than just jacking the thing up if you're trying not to hurt yourself.

I'm always amazed when I come upon people who have a flat tire, and then during the process of chaing tires, discover that their spare tyre is also flat because they never check to see if it's properly inflated. If I'm going on a long road trip, I carry a proper spare tyre in addition to the space saver spare tire. The second full size spare need not be of the best quality. Usually a junkyard find's good enough.

I once stopped to help a man along the interstate. He had a 3/4 ton vehicle jacked up with two tires lying next to his truck. I figured his spare was flat, which it was, so I stopped, got out of my truck, and I threw one of the four spares I had for my 3/4 ton on the ground. He gave me the dumbest stare, I said, "It's free.99 buddy, and you look like you need a break today." He offered up cash, and I said, "It's just a 7.50 x 16 M&S bias ply I got for nothing, the tread's just about gone, but it will get you where you're going, so keep it. I have about another dozen at home all mounted on rims," and with that I hopped back in the truck and took off.

Snow chains/cables (preferably for all wheels MTSilvertip...) if you're in an area where you're expecting ice, snow, or are traveling off road. I've had to chain up a few times throughout the years after I left the house.

Can of deicing spray and a coal shovel (Pa coal regions) I think the rest of you lot call them grain shovels if you're going to be traveling in snow.

A bag of kitty litter, coal cinder, sand or some other abrasive media so it can be employed on the ice patch you're stuck on because you forgot your chains...

Tow strap or chain. Even if you can't pull somebody out, if you're stuck, another vehicle capable of getting you out may not have a strap if they stop to assist.

I'm surprised at how many people get caught in blizzards! Not on the regular people, but I've also yanked out state snow plows, National Guard HUMVEEs, and on one occasion, I even begrudgingly yanked a state cop out in a marked car. All four of my 35 x 12.5 x 16.5 had 5/16 chains on them... Yea, you read that right, 5/16ths heat treated jobs for a forklift.

Instead of tossing your old throw rugs, put them in your car. That way you can use them for traction or lying on if you need to get under the car or change a tire on a moist area.

Although I've never tried this, sterno cans often appealed to me for a stranded situation. Heat, light, melt ice/snow, heat water, and if you don't catch yourself on fire, one can drink it to get drunk and forget about their situation... That's a multipurpose tool right there! Weak attempt at a pun.

Just some random thoughts in addition to other points.

Cheers,
bolillo

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 11-12-2013 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: A bad speller always blames his keyboard

Old 11-12-2013, 01:10 PM

537 posts, read 740,526 times
FYI. If you get a "coal shovel" make sure it's a real one -- not one of those fake look-alikes that are only good for tossing powder. I have one at the house and hate it. I'd never carry it in my car.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:58 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,323,315 times
Here is what I always carry and do.

A good 12v air compressor (used on a regular bases when tires are low or flat), don't by cheap. If it has the volume it can re-inflate a completely flat tire in a few mins.

One air horn (type used at hockey games) comes in handy in blizzards, or if you go down a ravine and can't be seen from the road.

Small tool box, with fuses, wrenches, sockets, etc.

12v plug in cell phone cable with cell phone. I was on a volunteer fire department for 20 years and almost every serious accident that we went to the driver of the car could not find their phone because it was in their purse or on the seat or in the breast shirt pocket and was thrown from the car. In a bad accident the small stuff can end up even hundreds of feet away and maybe never found again. The people that always had their phone kept it in their pants pocket under the lap belt.

Food (I like "pop tarts' they last forever and easy to find).

Water in a cooler for summer and winter (cooler helps to keep the water from freezing in the winter).

LED camping head lamp with spare batteries (I've had them provide light for 8 hours on one set of batteries). If you normally have more then one passenger, carry a few more of these headlamps.

Sleeping bag.

In the winter I carry outer wear sufficient to walk home in if necessary. (BTW never keep these in the trunk, out of your reach, the back seat is best). The reason to keep them in the back seat is simple, if you have an accident and can't get out of the car and the windows are smashed you easily die from exposer with life saving winter gear just 3 feet away, it does happen all the time in winter.

I never let the fuel tank go below half.

Every week end I check all fluid levels and tire pressures (including the spare).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness