Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 05:12 AM

914 posts, read 944,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
This seems like a good place to at least check out. You have to graduate from high school and then attend some sort of technical school or college. Don't do the shoplifting number, you don't need a police record at your age.

Also, I don't see how you will be able to rent an apartment, as you said your age, no credit and apparently no one to sign for you. Plus you don't need to live in the ghetto coming home at the late hours could be dangerous.

I find it difficult to believe your parents are throwing you out. That is truly sad and I am sorry this is happening to you. I may not agree with everything my children do and I disagree with them often but I love them unconditionally.

Call or visit that Safe Homes of Central Mass, it appears to be worth a visit. I hope everything works out for you.
I don't. It has happened to many GLBT people I know. Their parents decide their children are "useless" because they won't give them grandchildren, and they are "defective" because they are gay....and "oh my god what would the neighbors think??"

Seriously. I see it all the time, my church works with community groups all the time, some of whom are designed to serve GLBT youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 08:15 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,908,409 times
No, don't even try it.

Why don't you ask friends/family? Was this forum truly your first choice of honest opinions?

Old 12-29-2013, 08:24 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,592,390 times
If your parents kick you out before you graduate from school, you may be eligible for help getting to and from school. It depends on where you live, but for example in my district anyone homeless gets a free taxi ride to school. If they kick you out, then you are homeless. Regular school bus may also be an option. Check with a counselor at school about what services may be available to you. There are plenty of things intended to help someone in your position, but you need to find out what they are and make use of them. School is the place to start.

When I was your age lots of my friends lived on their own, and even then it was only possible with roommates or renting a room, not a 1bdrm. I remember how none of them had furniture and they all slept on the floor. But when you're 18, that's OK. The best jobs for being on your own are in the hospitality industry. Waiter and bartender. Bartending is probably the best option, if/when you are old enough. It also leaves your days free. Until then, try waiting tables. If you're good at it, you can make more money than a minimum wage job and only work part time hours, plus the jobs are easy to come by.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:00 AM

4 posts, read 6,446 times
Default Join the military...

I served over 20 years, and will collect my retirement pay, medical benefits, for the next 62 years!

Facts are something not important to gossipers and naysayers...

For every front line troop in Viet Nam, there were 25 folks in very safe bases Stateside, and in countries far, far away, providing the soap, dinnerware, clothing, food, fuel, batteries, logistics...

Even with spending 3.5 years in South East Asia, and landing 4 times in Viet Nam, I consider the military
a life fulfilling experience!

Military units provide off duty projects, like building wells, orphanages, hospitals, playgrounds, bridges,
and more, for the benefit of third world communities! We did GREAT Works, as volunteers, in all the
countries we served!

Instead of living in "Mom's Basement", at 18, I left for the Air force, and learned the trades of electronics engineering, in a 56 week tech. school, with 20 years of more learning. I got a college education, in Physics. i learned TIG/Mig welding, motor vehicle repair and re-construction. The military put me in aircraft maintenance, as an Avionics tech.

I attained my ministry to council, teach, plus, several other skills, like my Amateur Radio License,
photography skills, and expertise in firearms...

AND, I got paid through the entire time! PLEASE note, the FULL time ACTIVE DUTY military are fully
occupied with their PEACETIME MISSION in Europe, the Americas, ALLIED nations, and more!
It usually takes a real world wide conflict to get Active duty Peacekeepers involved!

The RESERVES have flown 98% of ALL air missions since 1950!!! The RESERVES are in AFGHANISTAN, and those places where you read about conflicts... AFTER they get into a huge amount of trouble, the Marines are sent in...

Mostly, Active duty forces man the DRONES... from safe areas in non-conflict sealed areas!

You may want to avoid joining the Reserves!!! But, if you love action...
I come from a long line of military heroes dating back to the dim recesses of history...

i served with other heroes, in dank foxholes, because we were all volunteers who naturally run towards the sounds of danger!

Just think about the FACT that in 10+ years in Viet Nam, 55,000 Americans died.

Each of those years, more folks died in America, just in traffic accidents!

Ten times as many died in that period from Falls in the Tub!!!

Old 12-29-2013, 09:29 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,200,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Don't despair! I find it really hard to believe that in this day and age parents would reject their child that way because he/she's gay, but there is help for you.

The Bridge of Central Mass - 508-631-2699, or 508=755-0333. They have a support group and safe homes for gay teens. Here's their website. They may be able to help you. You are not alone. There are probably foster homes that they can connect you with where you can live until you finish high school, and maybe even for help so that you can attend college or get job training right out of high school.

Safe Homes of Central Massachusetts
Great very informative post Parentologist. I think it is great that the OP plans to finish High School. Many people would use this as an excuse to quit and walk away. I can not even imagine what kind of parents would throw a person out on their 18th birthday if being gay is the only issue. Best of luck to you OP.

Last edited by longnecker; 12-29-2013 at 10:11 AM..

Old 12-29-2013, 09:39 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,250,466 times
I find this type of post very consistent with the current younger generation. Its full of what he CANT do. And he acts like us older geezers had it so easy. I was kicked out at 18, worked at a Waffle House, rode a bike to and from there (yes, in the rain and snow) and had an apartment that was shared with several others. But I scrimped and saved, went to school (no school loans) and made it because I HAD to. No, I didnt have a fancy new car until 10 years later, and no I didnt buy a house until 15 years later. It can be done. You just have to think you can. If you think you can't, you wont.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:23 AM

914 posts, read 944,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Great very informative post Parentologist. I think it is great that the OP plans to finish High School. Many people would use this as an excuse to quit and walk away. I can not even imagine what kind of parents would throw a person out on their 18th birthday if being gay is the only issue. Best of luck to you OP.
I can. I've seen it. In fact, I've seen parents who threw their gay children out BEFORE they were 18.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:46 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,357,343 times
How about moving to Holden and finding a job and a room to rent. It's only for 6 months. You would not spend so much time and energy commuting.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:01 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,434,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I find this type of post very consistent with the current younger generation. Its full of what he CANT do. And he acts like us older geezers had it so easy. I was kicked out at 18, worked at a Waffle House, rode a bike to and from there (yes, in the rain and snow) and had an apartment that was shared with several others. But I scrimped and saved, went to school (no school loans) and made it because I HAD to. No, I didnt have a fancy new car until 10 years later, and no I didnt buy a house until 15 years later. It can be done. You just have to think you can. If you think you can't, you wont.
Well, I can collect SS in 6 months and I agree with the young orig poster....it was a cake walk
for me at 19 on my own...I had a cottage in Key West for $65 a month...
worked a half day 6 days a week and was on
the beach the rest of the time...my one yr old, used VW cost $1,000 in perfect condition.
It cost me $21
to drive one way up to Central NY to visit...7 fill ups @ $3 each, I did several times....the kids do
have it tougher...but, it CAN be done, you have that right.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:01 PM

12,111 posts, read 23,331,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
Yeah, because being gay in the military is SUCH a lark. Yeah, it might be LEGAL to be gay in the military, but the culture hasn't changed all that much.

You really want a better option, consider the Peace Corps.
The Peace Corps only takes college grads or people with significant and relevant work experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness