Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 04:58 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times

Advertisements

The mre's are getting tiresome, as is the beans and rice. The whole family is farting up a storm from the beans.

How would you make a pizza from nonperishable prep foods to liven things up? Extra points for coming up with a way to bake it, or cook it over coals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 09:06 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times
You are a prepper and you don't know how to use a cast iron dutch oven? Of course you can bake over a wood fire. You can bake cakes and bread and pizza.

I don't use MRE's, so I have no idea how to make a pizza from one. You can store flour and yeast for the crust, use canned tomato sauce and dried herbs for the sauce. You don't even really need yeast; you could make traditional sour dough.

I grow my fresh veggies for the pizza, and I don't know what you would do for the cheese.

You can make a cheese-less white pizza, using flour, dried milk, powdered garlic for the bechamel sauce and top with canned veggies and canned meat.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:53 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
You don't even need yeast if you have soda and can make a biscuit flour, or use the flour ground from biscuitroot as it is a self rising flour for the crust.
Or you can go hard core and make hardtack for your crust, (Some of the thin crust pizzas I have had I think used hardtack anyway )
You could also use a flour made from cattails, if you add the pollen it has a really moist nice flavor.

Once you have the crust, you can use whatever toppings you have, I made one of the best pizzas I ever had using deer hamburger, bear back-bacon and antelope sausage.

Wild onion or camas or even cattail can be the vegetables, for a sauce if you don't have tomato you can use another fruit such as chokecherry (watch out for the pits) or wild plum.

If you don't have oregeno and basil, there are other natural plants you can use such as sage, or perhaps wild mint.

Probably won't have any cheese, but if you are worried about it being too dry, you can always add a few pieces of animal fat that will keep the concotion moist, and will cook down to crackin's which will add to the pizza too.

If you don't have a dutch oven, simple enough to make a stone oven with a few flat rocks and some mud.

May not taste like Chicago's finest, but it would be a break from MRE's, which I don't have anyway

If I were to do something like that in the wild, I would probably form a pasty or pocket with it so it is easier to eat without utensils.

One thing to remember in a survival situation, most wild edibles are edible because they won't kill you, not because they have a great flavor.

Many wild foods are actually pretty nasty, but they have the necessary carbs or proteins you need to keep going.

The biggest thing you miss when on a wild edible diet alone is salt and sugar. Salt can be obtained from natural sources, but sugar is tough to find. Knowing what grows in your area, being able to identify it, and know how to process it can go a long way to making it through whatever the situation is you are in.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:50 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times
I know there is 'cheese" in jars and cans, and Velveeta probably lasts as long as Twinkies ...... not that it would be much of a pleasure to use it on a pizza. I think traditional wheels of cheese would last a year or so in pantry storage, at least the harder ones like Parmesan. Maybe.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:24 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,689,180 times
Just an FYI, if you want to keep the gas down when you cook beans, cook them in different water than what you soak them in.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:35 AM

25,770 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Some of the thin crust pizzas I have had I think used hardtack anyway )
These are the pizza places (or manufacturers) that have an "agreement" with the local dentist's office...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness