Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 01:12 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,387,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Why, because I'm blonde?
What if people will think length instead of height?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 01:19 AM

358 posts, read 512,490 times
I was driving from Richmond, VA to Baltimore for a Jethro Tull concert in early '88 I think it was. When I hit the road it started snowing. By the time I got to DC the traffic was slowing down. Once I got on the beltway it stopped completely. It turned out that the bridge over the Potomac was closed because of ice.

There were a lot of trucks and they tended to keep a lot of gaps, but they also didn't move hardly at all. I was able to crawl along little by little. I was there for five hours. Obviously I missed the concert and that did not improve my mood.

Finally there was enough of a gap I was able to get to an off ramp into Alexandria so I could buy gas (whew!) and get back home. I had to call out of work the next day because I was wiped out.

I don't have any tips other than conserve your gas.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:06 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
The only time I've really been stuck on the freeway was in Victorville, CA on I-15. Someone was threatening to jump off a highway overpass, so they shut down the whole freeway for like 3 hours in the middle of the night.

After about 2 hours there was about a thousand of us ready to push the son of a... off the bridge ourselves!

Old 03-05-2014, 06:02 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,342 times
When I lived in California, I was stuck in a number of traffic jams. The worst was when a crane fell across the 405, right before the 101 exit (a big freeway in LA). I was stuck in a jam for 3 1/2 hours, which includes getting off the freeway and trying to take service roads. Ugh, that was a nightmare.

And in New York, about 1.5 years ago, there was a random snow storm that happened at the beginning of November after Superstorm Sandy. I lived about 20 miles from home from where I was working and it took me 4 hours to get home that day because the snow was coming down so hard.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:48 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
What if people will think length instead of height?
They all have dirty dirty minds.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
When I lived in California, I was stuck in a number of traffic jams. The worst was when a crane fell across the 405, right before the 101 exit (a big freeway in LA). I was stuck in a jam for 3 1/2 hours, which includes getting off the freeway and trying to take service roads. Ugh, that was a nightmare.

And in New York, about 1.5 years ago, there was a random snow storm that happened at the beginning of November after Superstorm Sandy. I lived about 20 miles from home from where I was working and it took me 4 hours to get home that day because the snow was coming down so hard.
I feel your pain, really!
I think this making me even more aware to keep water, not in plastc, in my car.
And I just have to rotate my food....since my roasted peanuts got rancid...afterall, the jar
is in there all summer!! No more of that.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:15 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
........to keep water, not in plastc, in my car...........
Miss Hepburn, if you live where it freezes, you can not keep water in glass in your car. When the water freezes and expands, the glass will break. Freezing water will also split some of the metal containers.

I suggest that if you are worried about food going off, then don't store food in the car. Keep you emergency food in a go bag by your exit door and simply pick it up and take it with you each time.

I don't keep food in my car because that encourages the field mice to climb into the car. They are a big enough problem as it is.

I rarely carry food in my car. Any person living in the USA can easily live for two weeks without food. Some of us could live six months without food. Water, on the other hand, is much more difficult to do without.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:39 AM

Thanks....I have stainless steel hiking type water bottles...glass is a no-no.
My arms are too full as it is going out the door...I will just rotate a can of nuts,
checking them periodically for rancidity.
Being stuck for just hours?
It is WAY more for fun munching on salty peanuts or almonds...
"need" wasn't in my mind so much...comfort was....unless my car is in a snowbank for days!

Old 03-05-2014, 12:06 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Gridlocked in downtown L.A. at 5 p.m. one Friday.
Not entirely unexpected (was sent downtown to pick up original paperwork)
but it was a sign from the Gods to get out of town.
And so I left.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:46 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
I've parked in Atlanta on Spaghetti Junction (I-285/85). After 1 1/2 or 2 hours we got 30 minutes down the road. All due to rain, no snow. A guy changing a tire on I-75 will slow you down for 30 minutes minimum. Not always weather related there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness