Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:02 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

...get your behind to an open deck, fast.

With the Korean ferry in mind this compelling story about those who survived the sinking of the ferry Estonia came to mind.

Those who moved fast, lived. Those who where slow or hesitated died.

A Sea Story - William Langewiesche - The Atlantic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 11:39 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Jeez. Sobering.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:15 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Horrifying story.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:41 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Rescue in trapped people from a capsized vessel has happened before..
Unfortunately these guys didn't get to my great uncles compartment in time...

USS Oklahoma and USS Maryland during the Pearl Harbor Attack

And A more recent story!

BBC News - Moment divers found man trapped alive in sunken ship

Old 04-22-2014, 11:13 AM

In my last week of Coast Guard recruit training/bootcamp I was asked if I wanted to a seaman apprentice or a fireman apprentice the difference being that seamen generally work above deck and stand watches on the bridge while firemen work in the engine room. I had spent far too many Saturday afternoons watching WWII and Titanic/ship sinking movies to give a second of thought to my decision. I chose seaman because I wasn't going to stuck below decks in a sinking ship, so I went aboard my first duty station a gleaming white Coast Guard Cutter as a seaman.

Unfortunately, even seaman have to sleep sometimes, that meant going below decks to our berthing area. So now what, I answered that question by spending a lot of time finding every door, hatch, passageway, staircase and ladder that would me out of the ship, not that I ever had the need to do so. Even still whenever we were in bad seas, and we were in a lot of hairy conditions, you could find me on somewhere on the main deck.

Anyway: This video of the Concordia sinking just blows my mind (skip through the tourist stuff).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MtWxnRBVvg

Old 04-22-2014, 11:30 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
I solve the problem by staying off ships.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:48 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,307 times
This topic is about as useful to me as "what to do if you find yourself on a space shuttle with a failing navigational computer". Most people end up on a ship if a) they own it or b) they are on a cruise. In case of a) they already know what to do. b) is a big mistake, it is like a small city on water with stomach flus and all

Old 04-22-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I solve the problem by staying off ships.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
This topic is about as useful to me as "what to do if you find yourself on a space shuttle with a failing navigational computer". Most people end up on a ship if a) they own it or b) they are on a cruise. In case of a) they already know what to do. b) is a big mistake, it is like a small city on water with stomach flus and all
I feel you, but millions of folks board cruise ships and inter-island ferries like the Estonia or the one that just recently sank off of South Korea and they are about as clueless as most of the ships crew... when the ship is listing you don't ask the bartender why the ship is listing and when he tells you that it is listing because of a "generator" problem its time to head to the boat stations.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:09 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I feel you, but millions of folks board cruise ships and inter-island fairies like the Estonia and the one that just recently sank off of South Korea so this thread was for them.
You can find ferrys working on Pugeot Sound and Alaska's inland passage too.
Not everyone lives in the center of the continent.

I was on the big Bird Farms in the Navy, but I was working on the upper decks, much better than those poor guys working down below waterline if there were problems.

I too made sure I knew the shortes route topside, just in case.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
You can find ferrys working on Pugeot Sound and Alaska's inland passage too.
Not everyone lives in the center of the continent.

I was on the big Bird Farms in the Navy, but I was working on the upper decks, much better than those poor guys working down below waterline if there were problems.

I too made sure I knew the shortes route topside, just in case.
Personally, I'm just stunned by the rank incompetence of the officers and crews who man these ferries and cruise ships.

Caveat: I can understand the crew of the Korean ferry holding off on abandoning ship until they had confidence that the responding vessels had come alongside, based upon the currents and water temp but to not start bringing people topside is... (all the author can do is shake his head).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness