Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 05:48 AM

225 posts, read 395,269 times

Advertisements

I am kind of new to prepping. Losing power for several days over the winter will make you get religion fast. I have learned a lot from reading various sites and YouTube. I have noticed that most of what I am seeing out there is circa 2010 to 12 and then things fall off. Whats up?
Has everyone said all that they have to say or is it something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 08:41 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,323,315 times
I can verify you're observation. Even on my prepper forums, they have stopped posting about prepping and now they talk about thinks like "how to bake bread".

I think they have found alternate ways to communicate.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:57 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times
Everything gets old. For a long while after '08, many people were sure that the world was coming to an end. When it didn't, it took the steam out of all the preparedness forums.

Also, I think that most of what had to be said, has already been said. Everybody already knows about bugging out, BOB's and their contents, BOV's and what is the best to use, and so forth. They know where to buy MRE's, how to filter their water, what kind of generator to buy.

All of this "Zombie Apocalypse" and other survivalist TV shows (sorry, I watch no TV) is also getting old to many people. When it was fresh and new it generated a lot of interest, but not now. Here on this forum we tend to get into self-sufficiency issues and low-cost alternative systems issues.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:41 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times
In 2010-2012 you also had shows like Bear Grillis "Man vs. Wild", Dual Survival, Man, Woman, Wild, etc.

Survivorman with Les Stroud was about the only one that actually had good information, Bear Grillis got canned, Dave Canterbury was kicked off Dual Survival and that retread hippy that was left had no appeal to folks actually interested in survival.

Now the focus on TV has changed to "Alaska the Last Frontier", "Life Below Zero", "Mountain Men", showing people living in harsh climates as a way of life.

I have always lived a pretty self sufficient lifestyle, spend enough time in the boonies so that survival training is just the way you live out there.

I have never trusted the government to do anything but take my money.

This combination usually translates in the small minds of bureaucrats to mean "Prepper, Dangerous Extremist" or some such thing. Pure balderdash, but they have never been known for having any imagination.

People that prep for weather situations or long term self sufficiency will always be out there, but the majority just live their lives, they aren't posting to you-tube. Add to that, if you are growing your own food, making your own power, etc. you don't have a lot of time to be posting on the internet unless you are making money doing so.

This forum is actually a pretty good resource with lots of information about generators, water purifiers, food storage, basic lists of what you should include in your preparations, and how to survive in a lot of different scenarios.

Not a lot of flash here, but good information.

If you have questions, ask, usually you will get some good information, and some not so good opinions just as you would anywhere.

The difference between here and a school is that here there are people with actual practical experience, so ask away

Old 06-19-2014, 09:54 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,407,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattusbabe View Post
I have noticed that most of what I am seeing out there is circa 2010 to 12 and then things fall off. Whats up?
Every few years there's a prediction of a cataclysmic event. (Y2K, elections, financial collapse, massive asteroids, Mayan calendar...).

People who aren't day-to-day preppers (who in general take this stuff in stride), get worked up, panic and go maniacal on internet posts and buying things.

When nothing happens from those perceived threats, many drop out of the thought of just being prepared for day-to-day living and incidents. They'll quit posting on the internet and inundate places like e-bay and craigslist with things they've purchased that have sucked up all the space in their garage, basement and under the bed (e.g. generators, MRE's...).

There hasn't been a major perceived threat in awhile so all is quiet.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:19 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
There hasn't been a major perceived threat in awhile so all is quiet.
Oh, no.

That's when stuff happens...

Old 06-19-2014, 01:11 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,407,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Oh, no.

That's when stuff happens...
I haven't heard of anything so I'm going to make one up. Heck, if the Mayans can do it, why can't I?

Due to global warming on Earth, the Sun has gotten too hot and is burning its hydrogen at an alarming rate. Therefore, instead of the Sun turning into a Red Giant in 5-billion years as previously predicted, it's going to happen in 2018. The Earth will fry for awhile before being fully enveloped.

There. Prep for that one.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:49 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattusbabe View Post
I am kind of new to prepping. Losing power for several days over the winter will make you get religion fast. I have learned a lot from reading various sites and YouTube. I have noticed that most of what I am seeing out there is circa 2010 to 12 and then things fall off. Whats up?
Has everyone said all that they have to say or is it something else?

not at all, it is just that the 1st rule of being a Prepper is OPSEC. do not tell people who might know you where you live, what you have or why you are doing it. as they will laugh at you, call you a paranoid fool and if something does happen, they will be the 1st ones to show up on your doorstep expecting a handout and for you to take them in.

also, I do have knowledge and I do not know everything, but I have been called a paranoid fool in personal messages and on the board for being a Prepper.

only 2 people of the forum know where I live, they have been to my place, and they are welcome here too.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:14 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
I haven't heard of anything so I'm going to make one up. Heck, if the Mayans can do it, why can't I?

Due to global warming on Earth, the Sun has gotten too hot and is burning its hydrogen at an alarming rate. Therefore, instead of the Sun turning into a Red Giant in 5-billion years as previously predicted, it's going to happen in 2018. The Earth will fry for awhile before being fully enveloped.

There. Prep for that one.
You are a super genius if you can predict the accelerated rate of how the sun will go red dwarf. Is Obama pushing that onto the next POTUS so he can't be blamed?
We get to see the sy-fy nebula phase first and any who live through that get to prep.

My cousin is a Mormon and they are prepped big time.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:36 PM

225 posts, read 395,269 times
Thanks for all of your responses. I am going to take MTSilverTip up on his offer and start asking questions here.
While I feel that we are in better shape than when we started a few months ago our situation is challenging so any advice would be appreciated.

First the background. Hubby and I are a childless couple. I am nearly 60 he is in his early 70. We live on the east coast in the city. We are primary caregivers for my elderly parents who are in their 80s and two disabled siblings. Both in their 60s.

As you can see bugging out is not an option for us since we have no intention to leaving our family behind. They depend on us. What our plan is to shelter in place and to make our situation much more secure. I am lucky in that my parents and siblings live less than three city blocks from our home. They also have a very well stocked pantry. When my parents were stocking their pantry it was just what you did and it did not have a fancy name. However I know that they do not have the emergency supplies that they need to make it through an extended power outage and the like.

My husband and my plan is to improve the preparedness of our own home and move my family in with us.
Again we a lucky that our home can easily accommodate four more people. I am having difficulty in finding information on emergency prep when you have to take advanced age and disability into consideration. I have come to the conclusion that we are going to have to invent the wheel for ourselves. This is a daunting task but there really is no choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness