Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 07:53 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I live in a rural area and manage to find other, more pleasant places to get what I need. To me, "visiting" Wal-mart is a depressing shopping experience. You must have a different type of people where you live. Our Wal-mart looks like everyone in the area who crawled out from under the nearest rock has converged in one place. I for one would hate to be caught in one on a busy Saturday afternnoon if a sudden disaster occured. Too crowded, too many tattoo'ed, government dependent low-lifes, and too few exit doors to "escape" out of!
I've got nothing against Wal-mart per se, I hate shopping there because it's like being in a feeding frenzy. The customers are always in a bad mood, hit you with their carts, shove you out of the way, and there isn't any customer assistance or service. The only place you see somebody in a blue vest is at the checkout.
It's always crowded, parking is terrible, just not a good experience.

I've only been in the local super store once in the past 2 years. Not because I don't like the prices or selection, I don't have anything against the business model, it's just not a good place for me to go.

For survival or prepping, I much prefer Big Lots. Excellent prices, when I've shopped at the local store it's usually been a very plesant place with good customer service.
Yeah, you never know from one week to the next what will be on the shelves, but you can usually find what you want and the prices have been eye-poppingly cheap.

While I don't need a lot of manufactured goods, things I can't make myself like coffee or spices or TP I have to shop for somewhere, and I prefer a good experience to elbowing people out of the way for a package of paper towels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 08:01 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
I live in a rural area and manage to find other, more pleasant places to get what I need. To me, "visiting" Wal-mart is a depressing shopping experience. You must have a different type of people where you live. Our Wal-mart looks like everyone in the area who crawled out from under the nearest rock has converged in one place. I for one would hate to be caught in one on a busy Saturday afternnoon if a sudden disaster occured. Too crowded, too many tattoo'ed, government dependent low-lifes, and too few exit doors to "escape" out of!

Wyoming is not called America switzerland for nothing. more armed people here as a % than anywhere else in the USA.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:44 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
Wyoming is not called America switzerland for nothing. more armed people here as a % than anywhere else in the USA.
An armed society is a polite society. Everybody at my Walmart is polite whether they're millionaires or laborers.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:41 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,839 times
Quote:
check out People Of Walmart - Funny Pictures of People Shopping at Walmart : People Of Walmart if you want to see just some of the 'winners' Wallyworld has to offer...

Old 10-28-2014, 02:44 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,839 times
Quote:

I'm in the south - and I'm betting that per capita, southerners have by far, more guns...

There's a city just north of Atlanta that, if you're a property owner, you are REQUIRED to own a gun... (Kennesaw, GA).

I stand, very much corrected... Wyoming IS the highest
http://usliberals.about.com/od/Elect...Population.htm

Last edited by TUMF; 10-28-2014 at 03:41 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 07:16 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
I'm in the south - and I'm betting that per capita, southerners have by far, more guns...

There's a city just north of Atlanta that, if you're a property owner, you are REQUIRED to own a gun... (Kennesaw, GA).

I stand, very much corrected... Wyoming IS the highest
Percentage of Gun Owners for Each State

only 59.7% for Wyoming? I would have thought it would be closer to 80%.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:17 AM

87 posts, read 92,807 times
number of guns is a nothing for a zombie attack.
one needs to have walls around you that the zombies..as well as others can not get over/through/under very easily.

but best is to not be in any major city or there suburbs.

first.............. is safety...big, tall, thick walls.
second.......... is water and a unlimited supply.
third............. is shelter.
forth..............is food.

need to go someplace? think at min a two and half ton military truck..with trailers.
--some motors can run on just about any type/kind of fuel.----
forget the sixty cal. just need a good .45 pistol, a .40 or .357 (can feed .38) will be just as good.
couple rifles in .223. 7.62. 30.30. .357. .44 special.
lesser cals .25 .22 .17 can work but not always in one shot.
too much and it is just splatter city, just need to kill the brain.
too little and you have to shoot same target many times..waist of ammo.
and think flame throwers. and nay-pom. great crowed pleasers.. ;-)

Old 10-29-2014, 06:46 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
BTW, they left off a ton on cities in the middle of the country, Memphis, KC, St. Louis, Minn.St.Paul, Milw, etc. I'm starting to wonder about this myself.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:49 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
only 59.7% for Wyoming? I would have thought it would be closer to 80%.
I would have thought Montana was much higher than 57.7% too!

It looks like from the article the writer corrilated votes between Romney and obama as the determining factor designating gun ownership, not actual data.

Besides, it would be impossible for an accurate count as any entity would only be able to go by sales from retail, not private sales or inherited weapons.

I would bet the percentage is far greater.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:19 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Yeah any massively populated area is going to be bad in that scenario. I mean look at how many zombies roam around rural Georgia in the walking dead! Somewhere super remote like the black hills of south dakota would be a good place to hide.
I have been thinking the whole time that I would want OUT of Georgia. Someplace where it snows would be much better. The zombies will lose limbs to frostbite. Zombies without arms and legs are much less of a threat.

Plus, who could stand that humidity without central air conditioning? It just doesn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness