Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 03:46 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsippius View Post
You most definitely must want to quit before you will successfully quit. You must derive no enjoyment from the experience of using. The pain and or fear must exceed the pleasure each time you use. It's then a matter of deciding to no longer hang out with users (even though they are friends) and consciously exploring and finding alternative ways to spend your time now that you aren't spending it scoring & using.

If you haven't reached that point where using is more painful or problematic than it is pleasurable, then stop messing with thinking about quitting. Enjoy yourself. Practise moderation if you can. Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think---and this place is Hell. Is it therefore deserving of sobriety & denial of desires just because SOME or even MOST people say it is unhealthy & naughty? We live in Hell. Do we really wanna worry about prolonging our existence here? I say, SMOKE 'EM IF YOU'VE GOT 'EM! And ditto for drinking & snorting & and all the rest.

No one gets out of this life without loads of illness, injuries, misery, and pain. The clean & sober "healthy" people don't really have it any easier than anyone else. They still get ill. They still get betrayed. They still go into debt. They still get injured and they still die horrible deaths like everyone else.
I would be a drinkie/druggie if my outlook was this bleak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 03:52 PM

96 posts, read 117,414 times
I just accepted my addiction. The 12-step program was of no help because I don't believe in a higher being. The only thing that kind of helped me take my addiction down a notch was my belief in a lower being--myself as a homeless guy because I squandered all my money on my addiction. I was heading in that direction and living more miserably wasn't something I was prepared to do for my addiction.

Accept your addiction. Just take it down a notch. Continue on living. It works.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:59 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsippius View Post
No one gets out of this life without loads of illness, injuries, misery, and pain. The clean & sober "healthy" people don't really have it any easier than anyone else. They still get ill. They still get betrayed. They still go into debt. They still get injured and they still die horrible deaths like everyone else.
Is this one of those "mother tells her son to wash his hands and son replies - "why bother, they will get dirty again anyways"" stories?

Old 01-24-2015, 05:59 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't drink soda. I didn't quit soda. I don't say, "Oh, I CAN'T drink soda." I just decided I am not a person who drinks soda.
I could probably quit the soda, but water doesn't chase the whiskey very well.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:05 PM

77 posts, read 59,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Is this one of those "mother tells her son to wash his hands and son replies - "why bother, they will get dirty again anyways"" stories?
Yea, sort of.

Why struggle with sobriety when you still prefer to be stoned? Who are you trying to be sober for?

Sobriety only means a damn when you want it.
Being sober and yet hating it is much worse existentially than being stoned and loving it.

Why struggle with anything in a world & life where the struggles are never-ending?

Take the easy way out.
Always.

Always make things easy on yourself. Go with your own grain even if doing so goes against someone else's.

There are no true standards of life-styles & life-spans to measure up to---only small-minded illusions & delusions created by fearful humans.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:19 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Agree or not, when I switched my addiction to Jesus, I found the power to quit vices.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:58 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
therapy helps a lot but from my experience it only helps if you're the one who has chosen to participate.

i have overcome an addiction and a few other things that helped me: gradually cutting down vs. going cold turkey, practicing mindfulness, maintaining supportive people in my life, journaling.

also i had a traumatic experience that motivated me. physical side effects also motivated me. wanting to have children motivated me, too.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:59 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Agree or not, when I switched my addiction to Jesus, I found the power to quit vices.
it doesnt have to be jesus for this idea to work! trying to get in touch with your deeper feelings in that way is helpful.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I quite smoking in 1974. I only smoked when not at work but realized even then I was addicted. I just shrugged it off. I used the patch and stopped because I recongized the heath reason to stop.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:20 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,721,664 times
Cannabis ("marijuana") can help people quit tobacco & can make alcoholics become moderate drinkers. It has helped with other addictions, too, see "marijuana, the anti-drug".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness